Send Topic Print
apache method (Read 4564 times)
cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

apache method
Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:22pm

i have built a few slings and i would like a little advice on the  apache method. if someone could give me an in depth description it woould be nice.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: apache method
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:39pm

I never really understood the technique for apache either. The only real advice I can give is, "do it.". Since all descriptions are somewhat vague, just do whatever feels most comfortable within their parameters. I'm sure that we all have our own twists and variations on this technique.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:10pm

This image I very crudely drew in 5 minutes may help you understand (or perhaps confuse you more). Here's the explanation of how I do it. I may be doing it wrong, but it works alright. Anyway....

This is assuming you're right handed. Look over your left shoulder. That's where you're aiming. Turn your left foot to point in that direction. At this point you should have the sling in your right hand, loaded and ready to fire. Now quickly (speed is essential to this method) move your arm in a complete arc from behind (assuming the way you're facing is forward) your right leg, all the way over your head to the left of your left leg (do this motion a few times without the sling to get a feel for it). You'll probably want to step forward with your right leg as you sling (it may make the motion easier). Be sure you use a sling short enough that when you hold it by your side it doesn't touch the ground. Don't forget to release when the rock it at the top of the arc! Also, don't expect the rock to travel far at all. It only goes about 20 feet maximum when I do it using tennis balls, but then again, I'm rather weak. Take a look at the pictures below to help understand this text.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: your shoulders should twist from facing right to facing forward as you sling, and your left arm will probably move behind your back. It may also help to point at what you're aiming at with your left hand.

www.altay.vilko.net/dl/apache.JPG

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:11pm

thanks for the pic

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:25pm

it is really the overhand style without any rotations, and facing the target with the side away from the sling.  the nessessary motions follow this.

it can also be seen as the fig 8 method, but without the fig 8 part.  just bring it up and let it fly.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:28pm

thanks for the pointers

any ideas for a good target

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:30pm

My fav target is a pallet that shingle bricks ect come on. Its really fun to get a solid hit and put a hole in in! plus there not to small that youll have a tough time hitting it.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:32pm

anything you can see.  but really, you could try trees or you could pin a carboard box to a tree stump and draw a target on that (the penetration of accurate shots is a confidence booster).  in reality, anything in your range makes for a fine target.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:35pm

Quote:
it is really the overhand style without any rotations, and facing the target with the side away from the sling.  the nessessary motions follow this.

it can also be seen as the fig 8 method, but without the fig 8 part.  just bring it up and let it fly.

In figure-8 you bend your arm. In Apache you have to keep it straight. (another thing I believe I forgot to mention)

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&
IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:38pm

when i tried the apache method my stones would either hit theground a few feet away or way above my target. i think it was bad timed release or the pouch was just giving me trouble

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:38pm

yeah, i forgot about that.  nevermind the fig 8 reference.

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:44pm

If you've just stared slinging, it will take you a while to get the hang of when to release. Keep practicing, and you should get better at it. If it goes too high, you released too early. If you released too late, it will go right into the ground.

&&
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 9:47am

I have a video of the Apache technique at http://www.mbsks.franken.de/slinging/slinging.html#Video060618 . But please remember I am not very good at slinging yet.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:30am

That's a really great, and extensive slinging page! I am very impressed. I have one question though. When talking about making the Etruscan sling, how do you add more strings to the braid and how do you lessen the number on the release cord? I've thought about doing that but can't find anything on the net that shows how, as I've searched for it. My attempts at it have just made a sling with a lot of knots poking out at weird lenghts and looks really terrible. this would alleviate my problems with the split pouch sling for sure!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:38am

the method i use for adding more strings is just put the extra strings next to the ones already there and braid them into a thicker braid, then to decrease the number of strings i just cut them out and keep braiding with the lesser number of strings.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)