Send Topic Print
active recycling (Read 772 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
active recycling
Jun 22nd, 2006 at 4:03pm

active recycling is what i call the act of taking something considered garbage or refuse and turning it into something you can use, but unlike passive recycling, you do it yourself.

remembering an old post of willike's, i took a vhs tape apart (it was no good) and used the tape inside to make cordage.  i whipped up a drop spindle by sticking a short stick through a tennis ball and sticking a wire hook on the long end.  i started spinning the cord on the spindle until the ribbon was all used up.  while i was taking it off, i pulled it tight to set the twist in the string.  i call the resulting cord "dragon whiskers", because that is what it reminds me of.

i took the resulting cord (about 40 feet total) and braided it into a sling.  here is the result:

an entirely VHS sling.  that's what i call active recycling.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Re: active recycling
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 4:15pm

What did you do with the VHS tape when you were done?

Very nice sling, by the way. Does it work well? It looks like it might cut into your hand a bit (because it isn't very soft).

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 4:39pm

actaully i haven't yet used this one, and plan on sticking with my usual slings.  i don't think that it cutting into the hand will be a problem though.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 8:51pm

I would be intrested in the results as well. I would think that it wouldn't have the strength to withstand the stresses of slinging. But hey i could be wrong.
It won't be the first time and it bleeping well won't be the last
Marc Adkins

Quote:
actaully i haven't yet used this one, and plan on sticking with my usual slings.  i don't think that it cutting into the hand will be a problem though.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:01am

Sounds like what Tom Hnks did in Castaway. He used the tape to help build his raft.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)