Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thank you Matthias...and pictures!! (Read 1382 times)
RebeccaT
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Thank you Matthias...and pictures!!
Jun 21st, 2006 at 8:56pm

Thanks to the reply on my first post here!  I have done some looking at the links you attached to your reply.  They held a lot of useful information.  I do think I figured that pocket out.  That will be on another post though (when I have the braid to back up my words. I've only done it small scale so far).  Your favorite sling artifact, you mean the book?  It is pretty awesome.  Spendy though.

Well since then I have been braiding like crazy.  Had a guy view our website (Darrel Aune is my husband for those who might know him, the fire piston maker, flint & steels, ect) and he wanted 10 slings since it mentioned they were soon to come.  We were going to take that off the site rebuild but it hasnt been done yet.  Needless to say, I needed one of those 24 hour lessons.  I go the book Braids: 250 patterns from Peru Japan and Beyond that got me started in a big way.  I made up a somewhat simple 8 strand braid but it still took 2 1/2 hours to braid and he didnt like the wholesale price so these are the two I came up to work with what he wanted.  I do the braiding and Darrel puts together the pockets.  Right now they are all nylon.  Thought you all might be interested in seeing them.  They are both 8 strand but doubled up to four strand braids.  The first is similar in style to the first I sent him.  The second one I do the simple round 4 strand braid then use that in a three strand braid with the black doubled up into two strands of two. 

There are some more complicated slings in the works.  I have started one with the diamond look of the second one but it is all one braid, much nicer.  That will have a netted pocket to continue the diamond pattern.  The second will be the one from the one I mentioned in my first post.  Has anyone every thought of a beaded pocket?  Darrel seems to think that it would not be practical but I think that I can do it pretty simply and not have a seperate pocket that has to be attached either.  Is this you all would call completely stupid or something that you think would hold up??  That would open up my freedom in pocket designs.

Thats about all.  Except one thing...Darrel wants to trade for a cool sling (or slings) from the experts.  He is offereing up a horn piston will all the coolest accesories.  I guess I should put this up in the trade section.

The nylon colors that we have so far.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Thank you Matthias...and pictures!!
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 9:12pm

You make some very nice looking slings. I wonder who the experts you speak of really are if you can make a sling as nice as the ones shown. My own braiding skills are virtually nonexistant and the best sling I have made to date was from medical tape and nylon cord. Anyhow I would like to welcome you aboard. Always happy to have a member of the fairer sex. Enjoy. There is alot to see in this forum. Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:37am

i fully agree with BK and welcome you to the forum ecually warmly  Grin
welcome to our evergrowing family

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:18pm

welcome to the forum, and very nice slings.

if darrel is looking for nice looking slings, i think that you have most of us beat already.  the nicest looking slings can be seen in the members gallery, and the members can be contacted via private message if you are interested in a specific one.

other than that, welcome to the gang

i wish you many true glans and strong slings

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:11pm

I wish there was a smily to show me drooling over that offer!!
Idk what I could really offer though. I dont count my self as an expert, but I can make allright slings.  dont have anything in the member gallery, but posted some of my slings a while back in this thread http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11227645...
Ive since made other slings. I also do leather work and would trade ANYTHING for a fire piston. I could make a braided sling, apace style, all leather, anything...almost. So Id love too make a deal if you want. So PM me I guess.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:31pm

Quote:
I wish there was a smily to show me drooling over that offer!!

How's this one?

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:40pm

YES PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 8:40am

Wow, beautiful slings!!! Shocked

Welcome to the forum! Nice with some women here too, can't be too many!

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

RebeccaT
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 6:28pm

Wow, thanks everyone.  I am a bit surprised by the response on these since I have thought them to be so simple and I have already had many starts of more complicated braids.  Maybe I'll have do a little tuturial to for some of you who might want to learn how to braid these.  I had to use a book to learn round braids but it is really simple.  I started off with the strands pulled through a hole and held onto seperate slits in a square of cardboard.  Then moving one side from number to number but I got tired of that real fast because I am a bit impatient.  So I figured out how to do it by hand.

Darrel has since made me put them up on our ebay store.  He does like them but he is really into some of the cool pockets hes seen out there and that is the area I am still working on.  He is also one of those guys that, although he can make an item with master talent, he can not keep his own work and must own one from a "real master," someone he looks up to, maybe who inspired him.  He gets stuff signed by people and everything, but it really is no better than what he can make, lol.  SO that is why he wants a sling from someone else.  It has that celebrity feel to it I guess. 

He will be back later to reply to you David.  We could not get the link to work so we went through your profile to bring up all the post you've done and it had all the pics there.  You do some awesome leather work.  We saw the ones of you suited for war.  Nice stuff.   

Again thanks for the nice words and glad to see everyone likes them.  When I have so nicer ones made up, I will be back with more pics.

Becky

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy)