Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keychain/Lanyard/Zipperpull Sling for EDC (Read 4228 times)
cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Re: Keychain/Lanyard/Zipperpull Sling for EDC
Reply #15 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:43pm

i laid the pouch over a pice of lether and traced it out onto the lether. then i cut it out and sewed it on with fishing line

it was a simple braided string with 6 strings 110" each  divided into three groups and braided

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #16 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:27pm

are you releasing from the side with the braid or the side without?  the stone may be hanging up on the corner of the string if you are releasing from the string side.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #17 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 10:56pm

i think that the pouch is becomeing to deep

IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #18 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:25am

Use ammo large enough that it rests on where the two cords are (except on the side without the cords). If the pouch is too large for this, make another sling with a pouch small enough for your ammo.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 2:02am

Very cool work with wearable slings man.

I have noticed that colored mason line tends to bleed out their colors, so I would imagine dying might do the same. After working with some of the smaller stuff I had brightly colored fingers.

Let me know if you have any ideas for lanyards/slings that you can actually wear. It would carry a small rigging knife.

cheers
-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #20 - Jun 25th, 2006 at 1:40pm

can we see this small rigging knife that needs to be carried?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:29am

Quote:
Very cool work with wearable slings man.

I have noticed that colored mason line tends to bleed out their colors, so I would imagine dying might do the same. After working with some of the smaller stuff I had brightly colored fingers.

Let me know if you have any ideas for lanyards/slings that you can actually wear. It would carry a small rigging knife.

cheers
-Unsapien

Rigging knife.... Sounds fun Smiley *runs to google*

With a bit more information I can try to help... how/where would you like to wear it?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #22 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:46am

And an update:
I retied this sling tighter, and squeezed one more loop out of it (easier said than done!) so there is now zero slack. It would now appear to a non slingers as a perfectly solid knot.

A brief google search said that every rigging knife NEEDS a lanyard if you're going to be climbing anything at all. Being a boater, I wouldn't consider NOT having a lanyard, since I know just how awful (awful fun that is) the sea and weather can get.

Now then, this knot wraps around my wrist almost exactly halfway, making me think that if you made the monkey chain fromthe single strand instead of doubling it over, it would be about perfect for a wrist lanyard. You could make the clipping mechanism that attatches to the knife a 'retention toggle'

If you want to wear your knife all the time, you could do so around your neck. I would suggest then making a Kydex sheath for your knife. Then, simply drape the sling around your neck (pouch on the back of your neck), and bring the two cords together a comfortable distance away in front of you. From that point, start the monkey chain (only needing  a few passes). The retention toggle can be a quick-clip device, which hooks right into the sheath.
Whala, a necklace with a funky looking knot a couple inches long, with a nice knife on the end.

Just some initial thoughts....

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #23 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:33pm

do you have the folding kind of knife or do you have the fixed blade kind of knife?  either way the previous suggestions would work nicely.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #24 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 5:56pm

I currently am using a folder, but I need something with a marlin spike.

I can't write all that much, but I miss everyone at the forum.

-Aaron

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #25 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 7:15pm

the knives that came up under a google search were all folders (with one exception on the first page) with a  sheepsfoot blade and a  marlin spike.  your's doesn't have a spike?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #26 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 10:12pm

Unsapien, go by what your saling comrades tell you, but from my experience, get a fixed blade. Have a nice kydex sheath for it. When the "peasoup" rolls in and you can't see the hand in front of your face, while in ten foot seas, one hand busy holding other lines or whatever, you don't want to be trying to open and close a folder.

P.S.
I just did  a Froogle search on these and they really do all appear to be folders!
My two cents: Get a largish fixed blade SERRATED knife for easy, general use and emergencies. Then get a folder with a plain edge and a marlin spike.
I'd probably actually get two knives and a seperate spike, but this is probably a bit much to most people.

In fact, when not out on the water, I still carry two spikes that I ground out of nails. One is larger than the other and they both fit (very snugly) into a cut down bic pen. They seperate the fibers fine, and I use another cutdown bic pen as a larger 'spike' once everything has been loosened up.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #27 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 12:59am

as long as we are going in this direction, may i suggest a diving knife with a titanium blade (won't rust in salt water) that has a straightedge on one side and a serated blade on the other with  a kydex sheath and a non slip rugger handle.

here is a website with what i am talking about:
http://www.diversbay.com/titanium-diving-knife.html
users2.ev1.net/~xray69/up036/

this is what cando was talking about:
www.myerchin.com/riggingfix2.html

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #28 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 2:01am

For rope and sailcloth work go for a plain edge. Do not buy a serated edge unless you expect to use it for other purposes.
A spike is easy to find and if you expect to do your ropework in the workshop you will want it separate, but if you expect to do your ropework at sea, a folder with a spike may be usefull.

For buying a fixed blade rigging knife, go to a rigging/rope firm.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #29 - Jun 27th, 2006 at 2:55am

The guys in the net loft, and commercial fishermen working the trawlers here all use 3 1/2" serrated blade Victorinox red-handled "net knives" almost exlusively. Worth about 4$, and sold to the public as "serrated parers". They'll resharpen them by grinding the flat side, but tend to throw them out (or have lost them) by the time the wavy edge is worn down flat. No one will use a combination tool, and spikes are much more effective when they are not hinged, the right length, and properly handled. They sell a clip-on belt holster that is popular.

I like the drop point "rigger" type as well, and have an all-stainless minimalist beauty with a locking spike and shackle wrench in the flats (complete with fancy knotted lanyard). For work though, give me a dozen of the cheapies. If you get into trouble, drop the knife and grab on. You don't want it tied to you.

Matthias

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)