Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Keychain/Lanyard/Zipperpull Sling for EDC (Read 4226 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Keychain/Lanyard/Zipperpull Sling for EDC
Jun 19th, 2006 at 8:08pm

Alright guys, I've done it.
I made a split pouch sling from Mason's line which can be knotted down to a keychain.

I started out with mason's line and made it round-braided 6-ply, three strand braid, two strands per strand. It splits to a three strand flat-braid for a 5 in split pouch. It is 63" unfolded, just a tiny bit shorter than my normal slings. On the retention cord, the braid is formed around a key ring (which is replaceable/interchangeable), this serves as the fingerloop. The braid is sealed with a squareknot  from two of the strands on the braid. An overhand knot is then made for a toggle (and to prevent the cord from slipping through in later steps). The cord is then trimmed and heat sealed into a neat blob of plastic.
The Fun Part:
Using the technique that I pioneered here http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11414485...; ,  form the keychain which is just over 4" long, excluding the keyring. Start by folding the sling exactly in half (the retention and release cords are the exact same length). Start the knot from the center of the pouch, and continue all the way up. The pictures will explain the rest.

The mini clip and the caribener serve to keep the monkeychain knot from coming undone. As long as it is in place, the entire keychain will not come undone. In fact, it will be able to withstand large loads if a secondary weight were attatched to the starting point (a loop is left there, it's not really visible in this model, since this is meant to be a keychain not a connector, but if you desire, it could be made larger for joining two sets of keys or whatever). The great part of this knot over a more conventional lanyard knot, is that by simply un clipping the caribeaner or clip, the monkey chain is de-stabilized. Simply give one quick tug and the entire 4" lanyard will unravel itself into a full size sling over five feet long!

Now, as you can see, there are many possibilities for what to and how you attatch this to whatever it is that needs attatching. In addition to serving as a lanyard for easy grabbing and decoration, you can clip a mini-flashlight, small knife or SAK, Compass/Thermometer thing, or whatever you'd like right to the keyring/retention loop instead of your main key ring (unless of course you are using this as your main keyring!). The aforementioned loop left at the bottom of the lanyard could be used to attatch an additional set of keys, or to form a cord which can clip to your belt or whatnot yet still have keys in your pocket. Let me know if this is unclear... Bottom line is that this is an extremely flexible setup, use your imagination!

Now I know that many of us (including myself) EDC a sling and this is probably redundant. However, think about the concealability of this.... I doubt that many of our own members would even know that this is a sling until now. Also, you'll never forget your sling again, if you need your keys to get to work (and if you always remember your sling, but forget your keys this will work vice versa  Tongue Wink Roll Eyes)
I have to go now, perhaps I'll remember all that I had to say, later on. Oh yeah! I have stuff to say about the second generation...

So what do you think?! Come on! Suggestions for improvement please Smiley Do you see any inherint problems with the design? What would you like changed?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Keychain/Lanyard/Zipperpull Sling for EDC
Reply #1 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 12:30am

The only 'problem' I see is that after use you have to take a little time to knot it into its small shape again.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 12:43am

willike, it would serve as a terrific backup or double backup.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 2:14am

I like it!!! Especially the fact that it doubles as a keychain, and a not very bad one at that.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

SilverFoxKnows
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SoCal
Reply #4 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 6:02pm

That's brilliant. Great pics, too.

Frank

SilverFoxKnows@yahoo.com

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:58pm

Thank you all for the complements Smiley

Willeke, I've thought about that for a bit, but it's rather inherint in the design Undecided. Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

No knots at alll..... Perhaps some sort of mini reel?

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #6 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 6:15am

magnificent 

sv

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 12:09pm

I should have said: "Great, I see no problems for a tidy person."

But I am not tidy, and I know that re-tying might be posponed till I am bored one day.

I like the idea, and the sling itself looks good too.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #8 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 5:53pm

Hi.
Very nice sling. I will try and make one just like yours.
I have braided some slings before, but the string I have used was thicker and not god for making a monkeychain.
How thick was the string you used for braiding?

Rune "the Reb"

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 9:15pm

Rebel,
Thanks for your interest. I started out with three, 13ft 5in long strands of twisted mason's line (or masonry line). I bought 700ft at a home depot for ~$3. It may not say mason's line right on the package but its just a nylon string. It feels very soft and flexible , and is certainly very slippery for knots (ideal  for the monkeychain). I personally like the feel of it.
Haha, well I did an (unsuccesful) google image search for mason's line, and one of the results is from this site!
The search on masonry line paid off.

That's the stuff.
Any other questions are welcome.

Oh another note on the string. David was going to test dying a sample of this stuff with 'naturual black dye'... I think that this design sling done with two black strands and one white strand would look quite cool. I think I might try this dying process myself soon.

Best of luck!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:41am

why not white and pink ?? or All pink Cheesy it would be flashy and a Great eyecatcher Wink

Taiki  
IP Logged

Rebel

I love Slinging.org!

Norway
Reply #11 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 2:18pm

Thanks CanDo.
I will try and make one this weekend Grin

Kill one, and you are a murder- Kill millions, and you are a conqueror- Kill them all, and you are God.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:36pm

Anytime...
Stuff that I meant to say, but forgot completely. I know that you have experience with braided slings before, but to others:
Keep the braid VERY TIGHT. Either put a clip on it, or tape it every couple of inches, so that in case a strand gets a bit loose you can just redo that section instead of ruining all of your progress.

And Rebel: Beware of velcro! It bit this sling as I was making it, and only very careful work kept it from pulling the string apart. Now that its braided tightly (and the strands were twisted as they were pulled into braid) it appears to be resistant, but I wouldn't want to give it a thorough test.

IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #13 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:39pm

ive tried to atach a lether pouch to one of my braided slings but it had problems relesing. any sugestions?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 9:40pm

How'd you attatch it, and what side was the stone in, what type of leather was it, exactly what type of braid is it.... etc.

I love that I'm hijacking my own thread  Tongue

P.S. Ok, kind of scary..... I got a strange compulsion to look at my post count right after posting this (which hasn't happened for a longgg while)... And this is my 1000th post Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)