Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Origin & Role of The Sling (Read 13571 times)
Subotai_Ba_Atur
Tiro

Slings don't kill people.
I do.

Pluto
Re: Origin & Role of The Sling
Reply #30 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 1:16am

A bow can be drawn silently without spooking game. The violent action comes with the release. If you can fire a sling as fast as i can RELEASE an arrow, I'm very impressed.

Mffmggn flrrflrt glvncs!&&&&-Kenny McCormick

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #31 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 5:00am

Quote:
If you can fire a sling as fast as i can RELEASE an arrow, I'm very impressed.

What kind of bow equipment do you use.....I'm thinking I'm kinda close on this one!

Grin

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #32 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 6:26am

I am so looking forward to seeing you shot and reload with your slings, Techstuf! Roll Eyes

I remember you mentioned that the retention rings can speed up the reloading process........I'm sure there are other clever ideas at work too!

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #33 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 6:54am

Btw. do we know if the archers had shields?

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Stuarto1
Tiro

Nil bastardo carborundum

Reply #34 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:39am

We all came out of our mother's whatsit and with our umbilical tube we learnt how to sling. 
Wink

IP Logged

Stuarto1
Tiro

Nil bastardo carborundum

Reply #35 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:46am

The sling is cool and the sling is great but can from 150 metres it crack a plate?  The sling is a fine thing.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #36 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:06am

Quote:
Btw. do we know if the archers had shields?

Zwiebeltuete

crossbowman maybe archers i dunno  Undecided seems a bit hard to pull a bow with a shield in one hand Undecided

Taiki  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #37 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:20am

if it can crack skulls i bet it can crack a plate

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #38 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:27am

Ok on hunting the deer.
Our ancestors , unlike today, knew that there were not likely to see Large herbivores on a regular basis. what a hunter gatheree is more likely to see are birds, and small to large rodents,  aned depending on the region reptiles.
all of which the sling can handle with little problems. especially with a minimum windup " Apache Style" release.
For the larger herbivores they used spears and darts/javelins

Desperation is one thing but getting the job done with minimum effort is another hit the deer with a few atlatl darts and track the bloodtrail down.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
back on topic...

as far as penetrating the hide of a deer quickly, perhaps the apache style and solobo's razor ammo would do the job.  if we can think of it now, who's to say they didn't think of it then?  even if it was as simple as jamming some pointy metal or wood bits into a lump of lead or clay, it would still be effective enough.  also, you could stun (hit him in the head)  the deer and run up and kill it with a club.  there are a number of possibilities, and a desperate man knows no bounds.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #39 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 11:32am

Again depends on the game you are hunting. Rodent skulls are not that thick. It would take much to penetrate/crack one.

My experience is that a sling can be released as fast and as silently as a bow. Which is why when i get my accuracy down on the overhand throw I plan on using the sling to hunt small game with

Subotai there are many slinging styles, not all of them involve a constant whirling before realease. Not all of them are used in a horizontal plane either. a short quick vertical overhand release will do just fine for hunting

Marc Adkins

Quote:
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I wasn't talking about fire rate. In the hands of a seasoned professional a sling is probably a good deal faster to load and fire than a bow, especially with weighted slipknot.

What I meant was that the act of loading and drawing a bow can be done smoothely and silently, whereas a sling windup is fast and violent. Unless you've done something else to screw up (like being upwind or not concealing yourself) the game will have no idea you're there untill you release the bowstring. a spinning sling, however, will be heard whizzing and seen quickly. I'd imagine you'd have to be a good deal closer than with a bow. Even so, I'd still rather a bow for that particular job.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #40 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 12:59pm

Well Leather is silent as well at least the leather bootlaces i use for my small ( Pouch Size) sling are.
In some places the bow never surpasssed the sling.
Marc Adkins

Quote:
Hemp is silent, eh? Interesting. You'd still need to find the space to use it, and make sure the quarry doesn't see it, but I guess that's not too hard for a skilled and motivated hunter. Still, there has to be a reason why the bow superceded the sling in that role.

Your comment comparing it to a gun is also interesting. I've heard that skilled slingers shooting lead shot could match and often surpass the power of early firearms, and with MUCH better accuracy. Has anyone started a discussion on the sling in relation to the gun yet?

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Subotai_Ba_Atur
Tiro

I do.

Pluto
Reply #41 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 8:48pm

Slingers tend to occur in shepherding societies for the most part. Their occurence in hunter-gatherer groups usually means that those people haven't reached the iron age.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #42 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 3:48am

The sling is not a bow. So it has different weakness different strengths. One of those +'s is the fact one can fire from more complete concealment, Thus concealing some of the give away movement. I am posting a very crude drawing to illustrate
the line is the top of the wall the colored half cirle is the movement of the sling
setting up a solid game blind could make the sling a more efective hunting tool. It is no differnt than using a tree stand for a bow. Just a differnt tool for a differnt weapon. For that matter no reason a sling couldnt hurl from behind a standing wall sheild in combat
The overhand is wonderful for tossing out of ditches over fences/walls.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Subotai_Ba_Atur
Tiro

I do.

Pluto
Reply #43 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 7:15pm

Makes sense. If you could get any decent accuracy with a horizontal technique you ought to be able to fire from a crouch, too.

IP Logged

nightweave
Descens

That's not a sling. This
is a sling!

Perth Western Australia
Reply #44 - Jul 4th, 2006 at 8:46am

Sorry this has been a long time in coming and reading,  but you get that.

Shields with a sling or bow is very easy to do especailly if your using a strap shield. The strap shield is strapped to your forearm no hands required.

That said there is more than one type of shield, I use a punch grip with shoulder strap so I can carry it on my back when not in use same kind of thing.  Pre-gun weapons are slow enough to see most of the time, so if you can see the archer or slinger you should have enough time to put the shield in front of you. Either way if I was back in those times I'd be carrying sword, shield, sling and at least two back up blades.

If I can I'll get some pictures of the archery guys with there strap shields for you.

nightweave

nightweave@gmail.com  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)