Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Adding lift (hopefully adding distance) (Read 981 times)
Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Adding lift (hopefully adding distance)
Jun 18th, 2006 at 12:34pm

A  Golf ball is a good example for flight.  The dimples in the ball breaks up the surface pressure allowing it to cut through the air with less resistance.  Bieng able to add a solid backspin the the ball will add lift and create a longer flight.  What is still needed though is initial speed and a clean release. 

Applying this to more of an American football shape do you think that this will also help in the flight? 

My other theory is to add  slight  spiral grooves to the glande to help aid in spin.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Adding lift (hopefully adding distance)
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:59pm

Actually, the golf/slinging comparison brings to light several interesting dynamics possibilities.

I mean, look at how light that golf ball is.....and how slow, relatively speaking, the golf club is swung compared to a sling.

And yet the golf ball retains enough energy to fly up to 1200ft. or so.....the translation of a small portion of the club head's appreciable momentum, given it's mass, is largely responsible.  

Obviously, the magnus effect has borrowed some of the burden here.....for the golf ball would not travel nearly as far if spinning at the same rpm in spiral fashion.

Of course, the energy return signature of the ball is also critical, for how far would a ball of the same weight get if it were made of modelling clay?

All sorts of possibilities are opened up to the slinger regarding stored/elastic energy, and dynamic leverage scenarios....

Many years ago, after having witnessed slow motion footage of a club head's impact with a golf ball....I began to research the dynamics of aggregate mass momentum transfers.  After much consideration of how such may be employed to maximize a slinger's effective range.....I was somewhat dumbfounded at how little is apparently known about the dynamics of arcuate systems.  

The 'Golden Ratio' is found in a variety of geometrical expressions everywhere in nature and spiral forms comprise the tiniest observable particles all the way up to galaxies and beyond.

Even the title of our entire view of reality.....the 'Universe', in Latin simply means: "Single Curve".

Honor is given to the intrinsic spiral forms and their various expressions, constituent to the basis of all physical reality, by way of nebulous, pervasive references to them in the vernacular of many cultures.

The Latin uses several forms which mean: breath of life, breath, breathing, mind, spirit, courage, “soul”.

Just a few examples, for instance.....to receive an idea worthy of consideration is to be inspired. To end one's earthly life course, one 'expires'..... and shuffles off one's 'mortal coil.....

Every bit of mass in our reality is moving in spiral motion on a macro scale. All of it.  Such mass itself comprised of such motion even in the microcosm!

Once again, I wend my way into the philosophical.  Undecided

In summation, regarding the subject of adding distance...I would say that, considering the 'virtual weight' of our ammo as it nears release...I would think that one should be able to convert much of it to increased velocity while borrowing momentum from somewhere...

Liquidmetal, it's not just for golf clubs anymore.

Wink

TS
« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2006 at 3:46pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 9:34am

Quote:
Once again, I wend my way into the philosophical.  Undecided

LOL, nice post Smiley

didnt you fellas in the Goliath project work out an optimum shape and weight for slinging a maximum distance?

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

person3

maryland
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 9:51am

golf balls r pretty easy to aim.

"you have to be a little bit skeptical or else you'll start believing in things like UFOs or elves or income tax rebates."-Monk&&
rocket idiot  
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 12:54pm

I don't mean to brag, but my aim with golf balls is phenomenal!

It's my T-Shots and putts that stink.

Cheesy

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 1:28pm

This may have already been done. There are several slingstones in the Copenhagen museum that fit the description. They are football shaped stones with horizontal grooves cut into them.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2006 at 11:36am

yes, but from what I have read, Gaelic (sp) slingers, some of the best there ever where, just used plain rocks. The Roman Funditoris (latin for slingers, singular form is Funditor) used simple lead glandes made in a general oblong shape. The more innovative crafted mewssages in raised leters. One such message was Cape Hoc (take this). Archaeologists found the glande near a skull with the messgae indented (mirored/backwards) on the front top of the skull.

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris)