Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First rocks throught the braided sling (Read 2773 times)
SilverFoxKnows
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SoCal
First rocks throught the braided sling
Jun 17th, 2006 at 3:06pm

I wasn't swinging hard. I didn't want to break a window or brain myself with a rock but still...out of five rocks only two landed behind me, the other three went into the bushes I was aiming at. Okay, they were big bushes from only 15 feet away but you have to walk before you can run, right?

Frank

SilverFoxKnows@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Re: First rocks throught the braided sling
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 3:37pm

When you don't brain yourself its a good day  Roll Eyes

Sounds like you had a good start. Smiley

IP Logged

SilverFoxKnows
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SoCal
Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 4:10pm

I think I'm getting some idea what size and shape rock it'll throw. It's pretty short with a small pocket. The 2" oblong rocks want to fall out. The 1"-1.5" round rocks at least go forward instead of falling out of the pocket. But I guess small short distance rocks are good for a city dweller. I'm going to have to find a good spot to try out the bigger sling I made the other day.

Frank

SilverFoxKnows@yahoo.com

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 11:19pm

First off, Welcome! Nice to have you on board. I would have to say that your experience is about on par with the rest of us with our beginning throws. Keep it up. It only gets better Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Welcome Silverfoxknows,

Happy slinging and keep us informed on your progress!

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 11:20am

For urban pitching, tennis balls seem to be the "whiffle balls" of slinging.  Lots easier on heads, houses, cars, etc

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 1:57pm

I concur, even weighted ones are very pc

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 5:32pm

Quote:
I think I'm getting some idea what size and shape rock it'll throw. It's pretty short with a small pocket. The 2" oblong rocks want to fall out. The 1"-1.5" round rocks at least go forward instead of falling out of the pocket. But I guess small short distance rocks are good for a city dweller. I'm going to have to find a good spot to try out the bigger sling I made the other day.

Frank

Welcome!
2" fall out and 1.5" stay in?!  ??? Shocked   I find that oblong rocks work much better with my split pouch sling than round ones... Just remember to put them in perpendicular! Smiley

IP Logged

SilverFoxKnows
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

SoCal
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 8:26pm

I need to work on my form. I think the pocket is too small but I probably wasn't giving it enough oomph. I'll have to give the oblong stones another try.

Frank

SilverFoxKnows@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Grautr
Descens

Waes thu hael

Maastricht the Netherlands
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 2:52am

I dont have a problem with round or elongated stones but if they are too flat then they tend to plain off left or right of the target. I guess its the frisby effect.

it was so cold that year that everyones tongues stuck to their noses.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 10:39am

when i sling long thin stones they make a loud whirrirng sound, and seem to curve off to the side, but otherwise oblong stones just stay in the pouch all the better for me.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #11 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 6:37pm

I find that sometimes rocks fall out because the sling is too long/heavy and I can't get it around fast enough to keep the rock in the pocket. Smaller rocks would then work better because they require less force to stay in the pocket where larger ones fall out under the same conditions. That's why I use a solid pouch sling. Killing myself over finding ammo of "just the right size" isn't worth it. The best thing about a sling is that supposedly you can use pretty much any rock you find on the ground. a solid pouch allows me a much wider range of ammo types, weights etc...(i.e. I can sling both oblong and round ammo with a solid pouch, but only semi-oblong with a split pouch.) My advice is get a solid pouch and alleviate all your problems.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 6:52pm

hi SFK - keep up the good work. i would suggest trying various slings and techniques until you find what suits you.
i get far better results from a split pocket bow-line sling. it isn't that a split or solid pocket is better or worse, it's what you get to like and feel good with.

sv

IP Logged

cut.n.shoot
Tiro

do or do not, there is
no try

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2006 at 9:04pm

ive found that ading the lether pouch to the slit pouch on a braided sling works prety efecively.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #14 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 3:26pm

i used to use plain split pocket slings, but then made my slings into an apache style by sewing leather or suede over the pocket for a solid pocket.  i notice that my range of ammos has greatly increased since then.

i kept my old split pouch slings though, as they are useful for mystifying a competitor.  when the watcher can't see how the rock stays in the string held in your hand, it is a little disconcerting.  also, it is easier to pass the sling off as a shoelace or some other menial bit of string.  imagine this:

slinger walks up to big burly guy that is showing off his throwing range
slinger: hey burly, i bet i can throw a rock further using a string than you can with your bere hands
burly: hah!  yeah right. lets see you try
slinger: whips out split pouch thin corded sling and whips a rock really far away
burly:  Shocked   how did you do that ?!?!?!
slinger: magic.  (walks away)

alternate ending:
slinger: i used a sling.  here look. (pulls out a bunch of slings and recruits a new member for slinging.org)

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick)