Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Egytian Slingers in Age of Mythology (Read 2528 times)
Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Egytian Slingers in Age of Mythology
Jun 15th, 2006 at 6:01pm

Hey guys, I was playing Age of Mythology recently when I realized I never mentioned it here. In Age of Mythology, if you play as the Egyptians your only ranged human units for the first six or so minutes are slingers (see pictures below). Egyptians in general have cheap, "useless" units (so they have to spam units). Slingers have an average range (slightly longer than the greek's archers' but shorter than the atlantean's archers'). They have a really low attack, but what is realistic is that they do bonus damage against archers (so in age of mythology, slingers are good against archers, but weak against infantry). Oh, by the way, the slingers in the game use underhand with no wind-up.

...                     ...

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Re: Egytian Slingers in Age of Mythology
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 7:16pm

no wind-up Smiley yay!

but i tought that over hand is more preferable to military (in general).

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 9:25pm

Depends I guess on whether you value power over distance, in terms of the type of throw. I can get comparable range with both under and overhand, but I have to angle the overhand shot conciously to get that kind of distance and I would have to release absurdly early to fire a low shot with the underhand. The advantage I would think of the underhand shot is that it puts the projectile up in the air where it is harder to defend against. I know I heard that against the Romans the german archers would have two lines, one firing high at an angle at the lines, and the others firing straight. As the romans would lift the shields to defend against the aerial bombardment, the second line would fire level, hitting the soldiers under the shields. This, I would suppose would be before the advent of the testudo formation. I guess with slingers it would be the same, only with the underhand you put the projectile up high and in the sun, maybe, as well as requiring less side room for swinging the sling around, allowing you to pack more men into the same space and allows for easier firing over walls, treelines, etc...

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Altay

Romans 8

Gibsonia, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 11:18pm

here's a short movie of the slinger:

http://www.altay.vilko.net/dl/slinger.avi

The last 3 or so seconds are kind of messed up, but you get the idea of the sling style.

There are 10 types of people in this world:&&those who understand binary and those who don't&&
&&E=mc^2&&Entertainment = mass * (centripetal acceleration)^2&&
&&Bad spellers of the world untie!&&
&&
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 12:36pm

that's pretty cool.  finally some realistic representation of our sport in the media (does this count as media?), or at least where other people can see it.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 1:46pm

I just watched the video of the animated character slinging.  As it happens, I use that style frequently: underhand, with no windup spin (just draw the sling back before bringing it forward).  I use it when I want to lob a tennis ball so my dog can catch it in the air.

This style would also be useful for lobbing a rock gently so that it lands in front of a would-be straying sheep and scares it back into the herd.

With a more forceful swing, a rock could be sent 50 to 100 feet away, dropping from a great enough distance to crack a skull.  In battle, I imagine a slinger using this style from behind some barrier, so no one knows where the rocks are dropping from.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris)