Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help with knots (Read 3044 times)
Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Need help with knots
Jun 13th, 2006 at 7:41pm

In the last few months, I have been playing with thin cords.  I have found that they work well, as long as I use 1/8-inch nylon utility line ("paracord") for the release knot and finger loop, and a sheet bend has worked well for attaching the thin (1.5mm) nylon cord to the thicker (3mm) utility cord.  The thin cord is hard on the fingers (said Nine-Fingered Dale, as his sling and finger sailed off into the distance... Roll Eyes )

But today at lunch, I found some Spectra fishing line.  It is wonderful.  It is 0.5mm thick.  It is rated at 100 pounds (45 kilograms) ...

... It is SLICK!  I tied a length of it to a paracord finger loop.  It slipped off when I pulled on it.  I tied it again with a double sheet bend.  It slipped off.  I sat there pulling on the cord and the fingerloop and watched the Spectra line slip around and around and off.

So I am asking the knot experts.  What knots work well for tying this very nice but very slippery stuff to thicker cord?  I'm going to try a stopper knot at the end of the Spectra, but that somehow seems in-elegant.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Need help with knots
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:02pm

you could make a loop in the end of the spectra to tie the finger loop into by going to walmart or wherever and buying some crimping beads.

these are little tubes of metal that you make a loop through in the end of the cord (it ususally shows you on the package or you can google it) and then squish it flat (the bead) with a pair of pliers so that the loop stays put.

now you can tie a loop of paracord onto the loop of spectra cord using any number of knots, and it should work fine.

an alternative to buying crimping beads is taking bits of wire about as thick as paper clips(paper clips could be uesd too) and make it into a little spring around the tips of your very pointy nose pliers a few mm long.  then use this like a crimping bead.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:09pm

sleve the spectra... ie spectra inside a kernmantel of a braided fishing line....then tie the knot in the sleve/spectra combo.....see a Kite shop; they use spectra and have special kits for working it .... ie tools to help sleve....

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Braided spectra will hold a splice, if it is a permanent job. The other obvious alternatives are the angler-type knots used for joining line to leader etc. Most of the ones that will work in your application are the sort with many wraps.

http://www.anglerscenter.com/Fishing%20Knots.htm

Stephen's sleeving suggestion is possibly the cleanest way to deal with this. Since you are already working in paracord, you might just use that (the paracord, for sleeving).

Matthias
« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:18pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 9:21pm

Don't listen to him Dale!   He's just trying to bamboozle you with intellectual mumbo
jumbo

Think Laguardian
Laguardian
Laguardian

Smiley

TS

P.S.  (Me attempting to be funny, Matthias is obviously a master knot man.)

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2006 at 10:56pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 3:55am

I never did tie a stopper knot in the line.  I tried another way to keep the sheet bend from slipping: I looped the bitter end of the fishing line around the standing part, where it comes out after passing through the loop in the paracord.  That held well under tension, and has not yet loosened when NOT under tension.  But the thin line is quite hard to work with.  Sleeving the line is a good idea; it will make it easier to work with.  The crimping beads look useful, also; I'll see if I can find some at a craft store.

Thank you, all, for your ideas!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 3:37pm

Just for fun, here are the three sizes of cord I have been playing with recently.  This photo is larger than life-size.  The ruler shows both American and metric measures.
The green stuff is 1/8-inch (3mm) nylon utility cord.
The yellow stuff is braided nylon mason's line, about 1.5 mm.
The skinny stuff is 100-pound Spectra fishing line (0.5mm).

I have made a sling using the Spectra, with a finger loop and release knot made from utility cord and a leather pocket.  I have tried it a few times, but it is definitely a specialty sling, not for everyday use; it tangles like you would not believe!  Well, Matthias and TechStuf and Jurek would believe it, they've played with this stuff.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 12:00am

Dale, don't let it dangle, and it need not tangle....

Have you experimented with small catch loops in the retention cord?  The employment of these loops in order to prevent the release cord from travelling far enough down the retention cord to cause a tangle should prove beneficial.  Trial and error will find the sweet spot.....but I bet you can deduce quite nearly, the proper location at the outset!

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 3:01am

as a long time user of spectra fishing lines for fishing since about 94 nothing secures the knot better than a dab of super glue.

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 4:46am

Hey LH.....been a little while.....

Know what you mean....superglue's great for knots.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 9:32am

yeah Tech been in the hospital for three weeks but all better now lol

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 2:54pm

Let me guess......a complicated hernia operation necessitated by slinging boulders from your house to Little Rock?

(lol)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 4:22pm

Actuly a accident evolving a barbque grill that ended up with 35% 2nd degree burns to my right side. But all is good. I am left handed. Slinging was not affected lol

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #13 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 4:59pm

Sorry to hear about that.  Here's to a speedy recovery!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 1:55pm

Lobo,
I hope you will have no or little lasting harm from the burns, and that you are in not to much pain now.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)