Send Topic Print
Magnus Effect (Read 7242 times)
Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Magnus Effect
Jun 11th, 2006 at 4:38pm

I cannot understand the magnus effect, but if I'm not wrong, it has to do with how the stone spins in the air to make it go further.

Well, I was swimming in the river today, and while I was preparing to jump into the water (which still is so [***] cold), I threw a couple stones by hand into the water.

Then I noticed that if I didn't hold the stone under the throw, but keep the hand flat and let it roll out of the hand, the stone would go strange under the water.

If I threw kind of an underhand throw like that, the stone would hit the water and go straight down to the bottom, or even backwards. Doing this way, the stone would spin like it was rolling away from me (if I did it on land).

But if I threw like an overhand throw, the stone would hit the water and follow the surface of the water pretty far, sometimes up to two meters. Like this it would spin trying to get back to me, if done on land.

In air it won't have such effect, but it would have an effect. Is this like the Magnus Effect?

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Magnus Effect
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 5:10pm

Forces in water are much higher tan in air, so you see bigger effects. That said, it is likely that most of what you were observing was coming from chages in direction that occur during the "collision" with the surface. Similar result.

A really easy way to see/play with the effect of spin on a thrown object is to mess around with a beach ball. You can "spin" a ball a loong ways of course. The same trick is used in almost any ball sport - watch a free kick in football (you guys are watching aren't you?), or a baseball pitch, or tennis serve etc...

Matthias

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:52am

Guys,                                                            
         I do a fair amount of RevWar re-enacting and this is a factor with flintlock muskets, too. Because black powder fouls the bore so badly, it was common to use a lead ball much smaller than bore diameter. ( For example: a .60 caliber ball in a .69 caliber bore. )
Among other things, the ball would tend to tumble after it left the barrel and the airflow over the spinning ball would deflect it. Unlike a ball from a rifle, which would emerge from the barrel spinning with its axis pointing in the same direction that the ball was moving and so stabilize it gyroscopically, from a smoothbore the ball would emerge with a random spin.                                                                  
         We generally find it difficult to sling stones with any real accuracy, but I speculate that the ancient slingers had the same problem; it may be that slingers would deliver massed volleys just like the flintlock muskets of the 1700's. Perhaps David was so noteworthy because he was so accurate?                                      .......Dan

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 2:17am

Gard,

Yes, that does sound like Magnus effect to me.  However, Herr Magnus did his research on projectiles in a single medium.  I don't think he worked with projectiles at the interface between two media with such differing densities and viscosities.  Nevertheless, the effect is the same.

(How is that for saying basically nothing in a lot of words?)

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 2:42am

Slinger_Man_Dan,

I think accuracy is the norm for experienced slingers, from what I have read.  It is just that most of us are not yet sufficiently experienced.  Sv recently said that he is just starting to understand the sling, after two years.  I have only been slinging a year and a half, and I still find it remarkable when I hit my target.  But some slingers (Forsyth's Apache friend, the old woman of Steven's acquaintance, and any shepherd that has herded sheep with a sling [sheep wanders away from herd, shepherd drops a rock a foot in front of its nose, sheep bleats and runs back to herd]) were consistently accurate.

Dale (who everlastingly likes parentheses [and double parentheses])

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 10:48am

This may have been discussed already in forum, but paintball guns can be bought with barrels that curve slightly downward. The balls acquire a backspin as they skid along the top of bore. A flatter trajectory and more controlled path is achieved. Aside from  paint ball guns, more massive ammo needs more roughness  of a certain type to get good Magnus effect.
Controlled, consistant spin of any kind is a slinging challenge.  Minimal spin is preferred with some ammo for high angle distance casts.    

Tom 

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:02pm

So you can kind of test how your throw affects the stone when it comes to the spin?

If the top of the stone spins forward when it is in the air, will it then go further, like under the water? Or how should the stone spin, according to Hr. Magnus, to make the stone go further?

Gard (who does not like parentheses [especially not double (except when needed [emergency cases (and that does not happen often [as you sure know])])])

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:55pm

Dale,                                                                  
         You are quite right: we "modern" slingers generally get to do a lot less slinging than we would like. I wonder if there are any historical references to help us reconstruct just how common really accurate slingers were. Was this an unusual talent, or common and widespread?                                                                                    
     Thomas,                                                                               
         Yes, I seem to recall reading this about paintball guns and I think airsoft guns use the same technique. I believe this is called "hop up." Generally, I use the "Apache" technique and I suspect that this technique also imparts a spin to the projectile. After a little bit of experimentation, I found that if I hold my hand with my thumb facing backwards at the start of the slinging stroke, when my arm is almost directly overhead ( vertical ) my thumb now faces forward. Thus the release cord ( which I hold between my thumb and index finger ) is also forward and when I release, the stone "rolls" out of the pouch.
I hope to try slinging a painted stone to see if I can observe the spin, or photography with a high shutter speed might reveal this, but I simply haven't gotten around to performing this experiment yet.         
                                                                           .......Dan

IP Logged

Thomas
Ex Member

Rocks?

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Dan

Experiment with tennis balls, spin effects will be magnified and consistent.

Tom

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Gard,
I think you have it backward.  A backspin causes the projectile to fly farther in air.  This is because the spin draws air backward over the top faster, while retarding the flow of air across the bottom, thus producing lift.  A topspin, where the ball/stone/whatever is spinning the same way as it would were it rolling along the ground, produces negative lift, and it dives into the ground.

As a stone or ball hits water, you get odd effects like you observed.  With a backspin, the bottom of the stone grabs some water and pushes it ahead, thus trying to pile up some water in front of it.  This keeps the stone on top of the water, and it skips along.  But with a topspin, the stone grabs water and pushes it backward and upward, and the stone dives into the water.

Slinger_Man_Dan,
The traditional Balearic test was to hit the slats of a gate.  Nine slats, nine casts, but I do not know the range.  I believe one might have been required to hit them in a particular order, or perhaps to announce beforehand which slat would be hit (a la billiards: "Cue ball over the rim, land on right foot of spectator wearing the fedora").

Your description sounds exactly like how I do an Apache cast, when I'm trying for a backspin.  But usually I try for a football/rifle spin, so I want the sling cords side-by-each at release, instead of fore-and-aft.  Painting a ball or stone does help.  Casting at very low power also helps, because the stone stays close enough to see, longer.

Thomas,
Tennis balls are great for practicing various spins.  The results are quite obvious.  Long ago, I slung a tennis ball underhand and it just scooted along a foot above the ground for 60 or 70 feet before dropping ... marvelous!  I've never been able to repeat that, but it is one of the reasons I keep on slinging.  Someday before I die, maybe I will be good enough I can do something like that on purpose!

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 6:46pm

Good observations Dale.  I have intermittently enjoyed a game by 'Wham-O' corporation, called Tracball.  It is an addictive game whereby the user imparts a backspin to the ball.  I particularly enjoy the ground hugger glider shots similar to your tennis ball shot description above. One can accomplish decent curve shots with it as well.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Hey I've played catch with that!  The ball curves way up with underspin. It is loads of fun.

I have a question about spinning and curving projectiles.  Spinning a round object and making it curve I can understand.  Dale described it expertly.  What I don't get is when you throw something flat, like a poker card or a frisbee, the effect is the opposite.  For example, a right hander would throw  frisbee with a "backhand" style and create a clockwise spin on the object.  Such spin would make it turn to the right according to the magnus effect and I have seen it happen many times with balls and rocks but on frisbees or playing cards they curve to the left!  There must be other forces at work there?

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:40pm

Check out:

http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Dictionary/bernoulli/DI9.htm

The advancing side of these objects is travelling at a higher forward velocity than the retreating side which  creates an imbalance of lift on the object, most often favoring the advancing side.....though certain geometries may seem to act counterintuitively to the basic principle.  If you've ever thrown a 'Shaken' in horizontal fashion, you will have noticed how it rights itself and continues on with a vertical orientation.  Alan Adler, inventor of the Aerobie, dealt creatively with this principle.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 11:21pm

Thanks Techstuf.  But I am still having trouble.  If the object is shaped symetrically (unlike the wings of an airplane) would it still have more lift on the advancing side?

If the advancing side of a clockwise spining flat object have more lift that means the object should tilt upward on the left side and curve to the right.  But that is not the case, I have tried with playing cards, frisbees and CDs in all three cases the right side tilt up and the objects curves to the left! ???

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - Jun 14th, 2006 at 12:43am

Yes those would seem to be examples counterintuitive to the basic principle.  I can forward the observation that, in my experience, frisbees will experience more lift on the advancing side due to the Bernoulli effect.  

Quick,  Check your drains!  Perhaps they are experiencing a reversed phantom quasi Coriolis effect as well!

(lol)

Your observation seems to be the prevalent one with flat playing cards and CD's....however when enough bend (it doesn't take much) is placed in playing cards and they are thrown convex side up....the Bernoulli effect exhibits the dominant force causing the advancing side to lift.

I wonder what would happen with truly flat planar objects on the moon?

What may be occurring with near truly flat objects, is that since  they are of balanced symmetry and relatively neutral, aerodynamically speaking....and the advancing side is experiencing more drag/suction on both upper and lower surfaces....

I would guess that perhaps a preponderance of boundary layer 'twist' offsets the balance of the object just enough to cause it to precess into verticality.

???

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Kick)