Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Book -- "The Sling For Sport and Survival& (Read 4716 times)
David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Book -- "The Sling For Sport and Survival&
Jun 10th, 2006 at 9:45pm

"What do you want for your birthday?" was the query presented to me by my mother. Since she isnt very proficent at  sling making, I decided to see if there were any books I wanted on amazon. I ordered a few books on primitive technology andddddddddd a book entitled "THE SLING FOR SPORT AND SURVIVAL" by Cliff Savage. Only $8.95 if I remember,

Fast forward to a few days ago>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I get home before my mother and typically get the mail... And I couldnt resist. I read it Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.  I didnt learn much, if anything. It only discribed he simple leather/cloth pouch and leather/paracord cords construction methods

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Re: Book -- "The Sling For Sport and Survival
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 10:12pm

Whoops I clicked post instead of preview and cant edit my post so here it is in full Sorry bout that

"What do you want for your birthday?" was the query presented to me by my mother. Since she isnt very proficent at  sling making, I decided to see if there were any books I wanted on amazon. I ordered a few books on primitive technology andddddddddd a book entitled "THE SLING FOR SPORT AND SURVIVAL" by Cliff Savage. Only $8.95 if I remember,

Fast forward to a few days ago>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I get home before my mother and typically get the mail... And I couldnt resist. I read it Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.  I didnt learn much, if anything. It only discribed he simple leather/cloth pouch and leather/paracord cords construction methods and only  outlined overhand, underhand and helecopter cast methods. But cliff savage managed to waste alot of paper discribing aspects of the sling that made it ideal fo urban warfare, sneaking on to airplanes, how stealthy it was to use efficently and silently, how it is ideal for slinging  molov cocktails and superballs with razors in them and other stuff that seemed irrelivent if not down right wierd. Im sorry, but my reasons for slinging are not to open up all out urban warfare or sneak my sling into restricted areas.

Some of the stuff written definatly did not agree with my experiences slinging. For example it was written that a sling is more accurate that the sling was more accurate than a bow, any boy. While I sling far better than I can shoot with my primitive bow, my friend can shoot his composite bow with more accuracy than I can sling. Most outrageous to me is that he says the sling is incrediby easy to learn!! That after ONE WEEK of practice you should be able to hunt very successfully. He also says that  a sling is easier to learn how to use than a bow. Mabey Im just slinging retarded but it took me about a month to be able to hit my 3'x3' target 8 or 9 times out of ten from about 30-40 yards.

My over all impresion of this book is it was written by either some amazing sling proficent demi god, or by someone who did alot of reasearch reading historical accounts of the slings accuracy but never bothered to try it out.  Has any one else ever read this book? I would like to know your opinions.

well i better go before my mother  comes home and sees me readin my bday present Roll Eyes Roll Eyes >David

davnasca  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 10:47pm

Lol i can practice day after day and i have yet to be able to hit a tager very well Tongue I was at an event today and there was this one place... filled with a bunch of cardboard targets normally used for archery. Me and Slingbadger went out there with golf balls. Let me set this up for you, i dont have very good accuracy, and this area is about 20 ft wide with walls of tall bushes, trees, grass, ect on each side...  Roll Eyes So ya i lost quite a few  Grin

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:49pm

Yep I've read the bleeping book and found it to be worth the less than ten dollars spent on it.
Cliff Savage was writing a book for the survivalist/paramilitary crowd out there in the late 80's. He's going to cover those topics that those individuals want to hear/learn about.

I couldn't tell ya about Mr. Savages slinging ability so I am not going to speculate on that. One thing to keep in mind is that Mr. Lynn Ballard wrote the article that first got me intrested in slinging at about the same time as this book. Mr. Ballards results are pretty good based on his time and experience with his sling style.

I think that you are correct that he read up on a lot of the older journal articles out there and repeated what he had read.
There is a thread in the archives of this forum about this book and i agree with all of the comments that was said about it.
They can be summerised as follows intresting book but this site and forum has far more information in it for a much cheaper price.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Whoops I clicked post instead of preview and cant edit my post so here it is in full Sorry bout that

"What do you want for your birthday?" was the query presented to me by my mother. My over all impresion of this book is it was written by either some amazing sling proficent demi god, or by someone who did alot of reasearch reading historical accounts of the slings accuracy but never bothered to try it out.  Has any one else ever read this book? I would like to know your opinions.

well i better go before my mother  comes home and sees me readin my bday present Roll Eyes Roll Eyes >David

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:59pm

Acuraccy is a maintenance skill. Especially with non firearm missle weapons. When i was an undegrad during the semester breaks I would practice constanly with my 2 crossbows and my modern compound hunting bow. Could hit my target almost 50 M away pretty regularly. Wouldn't want to see the ugly results today with multiple years of disuse and neglect.

One of the reasons I like slinging is that the ammo is so bleeping cheap. I paid less than 3 US dollars for a 50 pound ( approx 23 KG) bag of landscaping marble and have about 30 pounds left. And I don't have to look for the ammo once it's been slung. compared to the several years after i graduated my father would tell me whenever he would find one of my lost arrows/quarrels out in the front pasture. Must have lost about three dozen arrows and quarrels both wood and alumimum.

Quote:
Lol i can practice day after day and i have yet to be able to hit a tager very well Tongue I was at an event today and there was this one place... filled with a bunch of cardboard targets normally used for archery. Me and Slingbadger went out there with golf balls. Let me set this up for you, i dont have very good accuracy, and this area is about 20 ft wide with walls of tall bushes, trees, grass, ect on each side...  Roll Eyes So ya i lost quite a few  Grin

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 12:18pm

we all have thoughts that differ when it comes to The Late Mr. Savages Book. I for one enjoyed it very much and it was the first step in my ability as a rock hurling fool. Granted now with what I have learned with the help of this forum. I surpassed what the book as to offer
but as a beginners tome it is wonderful.
         Thankyou Mr. Savage

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 3:15pm

Was unaware of his passing. Now for it's time I agree it was one of the few references available on the sling.
Marc Adkins

Quote:
we all have thoughts that differ when it comes to The Late Mr. Savages Book. I for one enjoyed it very much and it was the first step in my ability as a rock hurling fool. Granted now with what I have learned with the help of this forum. I surpassed what the book as to offer
but as a beginners tome it is wonderful.
         Thankyou Mr. Savage

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 9:40pm

Yeah some time Ago I wrote the editor of loompanics to invite Mr. savage to our  forum. I was informed that he had passed some time ago.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Re: Book -- "The Sling For Sport and Survival&
Reply #8 - Jan 4th, 2007 at 7:51am

And, as usual, Thank you, Lobohunter!  Your experience with the book mirrors my own, but I only wish I could mirror your engenuity and slinging skill! You and Tint are among my heroes on this forum!

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 9:09am

How the hell do you sling a molotov cocktail without 1) getting burned or 2) having the bottle go off at some random tangent.
Is it some sort of special sling pouch ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 10:10am

As I recall, that "special munitions" crap was one of the weak points of the book:  some imaginative, but worthless and even dangerous speculation by Mr. Savage regarding possible applications of the sling as a weapon of "urban warfare" by so-called "guerilla" fighters.  I just ignored those parts of the book, or took casual note of them in context of previous experience in the military, where we were taught the intricacies of such improvised "street etiquette" by some very athletic, higly trained, rather humourless gentlemen, incongruously wearing "funny little effeminate-looking green hats" (Nobody laughed, or commented!).  The small medicine bottles depicted as the entire coctail in Mr. Savage's book would not have been much bigger than the tiny vial-like bottles (which we were taught that we could stuff down the necks of ACTUAL Molly-bottles) containing a small quantity of something such as sodium-in-oil (kerosene?), and a ball bearing, rock or fishing weight, all dangled inside the larger container containing a charming combination of styrofoam or dish soap, petrol and water, among other possible components for use against enemy fixed fortifications, or even against ancient, outmoded tanks still in use by certain satellite, or third-world nations at the time, or against BMP's, -D's or BRDM's with their hatches carelessly left open, etc..

With this setup, there was no need for a flaming rag to give away your position, or set the thing off prematurely, frying the thrower instead of the tank or APC.  However, it was suggested that if a rag were used, that the bottle should be sealed, and the rag tied round the neck of the bottle, so that it would only be able to ignite the device after it shattered on impact with the target.

Mr. Savage's rather fancifully depicted "Coctails" were more of a tiny incendiary initiator than a "Molly-cock".  They looked small enough to fit into the cradle of many conventional slings, and were rather hilariously shown with a burning CIGARETTE taped to the side!  I personally prefer the old idea of the ancients of simply heating up slingstones or glandes until red hot, and letting the wind of the slingstone's own flight blow them even hotter (hence the modern notion of certain "historians" that ancient generals supposedly believed that COLD glandes became "white-hot" during flight?) until they impacted with thatched rooves of enemy villages.
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2007 at 9:21am by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 3:08pm

AjlouniBoy re-discovered why the ancients thought a lead glans melted in flight, and posted a picture and description
here

And I'm sorry, but I fear that (unless the glans be charcoal) the wind of its flight will merely cool it.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 4:45pm

hmmmm charcoal fly though the air kinda interesting. probaly to lite wait what if we weghted it say a hens egg size peice of charcoal with a three inch long 3/4 inch chunk of rebar in the middle
this firey egg would be a nice tracer too. how many firey charcoal eggs does it take to burn though the center of a thick leather pouch? would flame retardent help? do we need a foil heat sheild.

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 9:12am

Thanks, Dale!  Very interesting post, and good ideas and information.  I suppose that answers my question.  I think you gave Lobohunter some VERY er...HOT ideas for possible further applications for some very nasty incendiary armour-piercing tracer ".50 BMG HEAPI"-like  glande-thingies, as well!  Ha, ha!  MUCH better than Mr. Savage's cigarette taped to a medicine bottle full of ...? Tongue

What great fun!  Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2007 at 1:01pm by magnumslinger »  

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 12:39pm

after a very long sabbatical from slinging.org i returned to this site and much to my surprise a topic i started months ago was at the top of the list..... is God trying to tell me sumthing or what.

GLAD TO BE BACK,
David

PS- i did indeed try a moltov cocktail by sling. hehe a baby bottle filled with gas and a lit paper towel on the side!.  Very fun, tho in retrospect, VERRRY DANGEROUS

davnasca  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)