Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
need advice! (Read 1656 times)
TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

need advice!
Jun 9th, 2006 at 2:36pm

Wat's up? I have alwase been interested in premative weapons, especaly slings. I have recently my first sling
(verey simpal Disign of two leather thongs and duct tape, and yes, I said duct tape. Email me At theredneck33@yahoo.com for more info on this discoverey.) and need advice on throwing, aiming, or aney thing else you could healp with.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: need advice!
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 3:16pm

Welcome to the forum.
There's a article in the archives, if you're intrested, about making a sling out of medical tape.
Don't be shy. post how ya did it and what the results were

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Wat's up? I have alwase been interested in premative weapons, especaly slings. I have recently my first sling
(verey simpal Disign of two leather thongs and duct tape, and yes, I said duct tape. Email me At theredneck33@yahoo.com for more info on this discoverey.) and need advice on throwing, aiming, or aney thing else you could healp with.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 3:48pm

well, I might as well go on and tell about the duct tape sling. Start with two leather thongs, I recon nilon or anything els would work to, and cut them to disiered lingth. then take two pices of duct tape, one about 4 in long, the other about 3 in. put the longer one down and put the storter one in the midle ane stick it stickey to stickey. stick the end of your cord on the stickey on the ends, then fold the corners in. add reenforcement pices if needed. then just put the loop in the ends of the cords and, wella, a duct tape sling! P.S if aney one can beter explain this, plese do.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 5:53pm

that seems to be a pretty good explanation.  i like the idea of using duct tape, but alot of it is too slippery to grip the rocks, and they slip out during wind up.  perhaps the folding of the corners cups the pocket a little, maybe counteracting this problem.

btw, welcome to the forum.  hope you enjoy slinging for years to come

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2006 at 9:38pm

I still need someone to tell me a good way to throw. I know how to simpley lob rocks, but i have no accuracey at all! I would be extreamly greatful for any advice.

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 1:40am

[quote author=TheRedneck33  link=1149878163/0#4 date=1149903502]I still need someone to tell me a good way to throw. I know how to simpley lob rocks, but i have no accuracey at all! I would be extreamly greatful for any advice.[/quote]
    Greetings, TheRedneck33, and welcome to the forum!                
         A while back there was a thread started by mgreenfield where many of us talked about slinging technique. It was called "hints to increase accuracy." I have posted on this thread to bring it up to the first page near the top, and I hope you get some useful information from it.                                                                                  
         The sling is an inherently difficult instrument, but don't let that discourage you. I have found that the process of learning is loads of fun in and of itself. I think you'll agree once you get those rocks to fly in nice graceful arcs with some consistency. Slinging is a very KINETIC sort of hobby!                                                    .......Dan
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2006 at 1:21am by Slinger_Man_Dan »  

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 3:18am

Welcome to the forum TheRedneck33,

If you want to be accurate with the sling, just

pratice, pratice, PRATICE!

and have fun along the way. Wink

See you around!

Tint

IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 12:40pm

thx guys, will do.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 5:29pm

Teaching accuracy is one of the hardest things to teach with the sling. proper form and technique is easy; I can teach anyone how to throw rocks with a sling within 5 minutes and have done so before on several occasions. But accuracy I have really just started to achieve and I have been slinging for almost two years. Not as often as I should/want to/would like to, but two years nonetheless to get to the point where I can hit a tree I aim at almost as often as not from about 20 yards. Only yesterday I slung a rock at the tree hard enough to take a triangular divot out of the wood high up above the bark line and shouted "VICTORY" and raised my sling in the air, which attracted some strange looks from people down the beach. But that feeling you get when you first hit your target is nothing short of transcendent. You feel like you could take on the world. I usually teach people to stand facing about 60 degrees away from the target and plant their right foot forward if left handed and left foot forward if right handed. Step forward with the rear foot, then with the front, bringing the sling around simultaneously and release when it feels right. You'll get to know when it's the proper time to release, eventually. Timing is probably the hardest thing to get down of all the contributing factors to accuracy. Even a fraction of a second's release too early or late can translate to a misdirected throw of several yards too far over even a short distance.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 5:44am

just to agree with mammothunter - it's nearly 2 years with me too and i feel that i'm only just at the point where i can start to learn -  about 50% hit rate at 10 yards.
but when you hit, especially at the start, the feeling is best described by the word "magical" 

sv

IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 1:17pm

thx, Smiley
P.S i finaly got sum leather for apouch and have a good sling now Grin

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #11 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 2:31pm

i have no leather period but i have 4 good slings and 2 not so very good but they work ^^

Taiki  
IP Logged

TheRedneck33
Ex Member

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #12 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:36pm

what are yours made of?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #13 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 9:42pm

the good but not great ones are made with all rope (the article page describes the base of them) and just weave cord in that frame

the great ones are tape slings like zorrro's Smiley

Taiki  
IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #14 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 10:10pm

TheRedneck33- I find the one thing that improves my slinging is .......................... concentraiting!! Find a time when you can just focus on slinging. I find blocking out all other distractions dirasticly(sp?) improves my slinging as opposed to just halfheartedly chucking a rock.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy)