Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do others think about slinging?? (Read 2053 times)
CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: What do others think about slinging??
Reply #15 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 10:36pm

Quote:
I dont understand what is the BIG difference between slinging and for example shooting with bows or guns.. which is much better accepted.

Now imagine that the people you're talking to are a bunch of (new definition) liberal, rich, pricks who are afraid of guns, bows, and anything remotely new. And of course by afraid I mean they hate them and would like to see them outlawed; how can people who our society deems so smart actually be so mind bogglingly stupid?

(no, i'm not in a great mood Angry Sad ??? Smiley)

IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 9:55am

Last week i went to a friends house. There were a couple kids there. There was nothing to do so I asked for some duck tape and some string to make a sling. He asked me "How can you make a sling shot with tape and string?" After I explained to him that i was talking about a sling not a sling shot, I finished the sling. We went out to his back yard which is a hill prabably (i am not to good with distance) 80-90 yards  from a road and slung a few rocks. After seeing me clear the road with golfball size rocks they were amazed by its power.
Then I set up a  chair about 15 yards away and nailed it with a rock. The kids there were amazed. They could not believe how far and how accurate thats simple thing was. We past it around slinging for a wile. I think I got them interested in slings and bolas and told them about this site so hopefully we will see them here.

IP Logged

Naiyor
Descens

My sling-a-ling, My sling-a-ling,
I want you to..

Canada
Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 3:43pm

When I first told my wife about slinging (when I was in the process of cutting up 90 feet of masons line to braid a sling) she said "ok...that sounds fun" she is amazingly receptive to my strange habits (like building a 16 foot high trebuchet that could fit in the back of a friends pickup truck, or my knife throwing, crazy hunting etc.) I know she thought I was a little strange when I was baking up a batch of Salt Flour Glandes though Wink

When I told my grand parents about my new found hobby, my Grandma told me tales of how her and her brother used to sling as children, then gave me some good advice on how to build a sling out of moose hide (and gave me the materals and we built one on the spot) then gave me some good advice on sundried clay ammuntion.

Frineds have looked at me with some skepticism...but after you give them a little show they usually warm up to the idea. I have been slinging with a few people.

I have found the general public to be pleasently suprised by the "Ancient Art"...

For the people who think that I am crazy, I just ignore them...

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 8:12pm

Oughta try seeing what people say when they find out I study the Bayonet. Smiley
Most of my friends are used to my strange hobbies and those who are not my friends they can think what they want.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
I´ve got the same experience. "I thought you are adult already..." But I´m used to it. When I started studying knife fight years ago, I was much much worse! Smiley)

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)