Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What do others think about slinging?? (Read 2050 times)
Antti
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Finland
What do others think about slinging??
Jun 7th, 2006 at 5:26am

Hi!
It is strange how other (non slinging) people react, when I tell that I started slinging and show them my slings.

Empty look..  and tryig to change the subject.

the reaction is about the same, if I would tell them that I started using drugs... or robbed a bank or something.

I dont understand what is the BIG difference between slinging and for example shooting with bows or guns.. which is much better accepted.

Some people think that sligs are somehow weird, or they compare slings with slingshot, which some kids can use to break windows.. or streetlights..

Does anyone here have similar experiences?

What did you do to overcame this?

Nowdays I really dont care much  what other people think, but this sling-thing annoys me. I think Slings are "cool" but no-one else (here) seems to think so..

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: What do others think about slinging??
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:42am

Oh, it is very simple to overcome this. Just don't tell!

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Calvera
Novicius

Ma ji jak z praku!

Brno, Czech republic
Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:58am

I“ve got the same experience. "I thought you are adult already..." But I“m used to it. When I started studying knife fight years ago, I was much much worse! Smiley)

IP Logged

Calvera
Novicius

Ma ji jak z praku!

Brno, Czech republic
Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:59am

IT was much much worse!!!!!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:21am

Welcome to the forum Calvera.

You took up knife fighting?  That's something I would like to learn about if I had the time.  But of course any free time is slinging time for me! Grin

btw, You could have used the modify button to correct the typo error.

IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:41am

when i was learning knife fighting and how to throw them i was looked at like i lost my mind or something. after a while i just learned not to care what ppl thought

Loki

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 10:23am

A lot of it comes from simple ignorance. This has come down through history. People regard the sling as a toy, something non- effective.
  I showed my Scouts the advantage and power of a sling, and now they have respect for it.
   I think the reason of the ignoring of the sling through history is simply because of it's association with the "simple " people. History is written, for the most part by and for nobility. They want to hear of the exploits of knights with swords battling one on one, not of the peasant that can knock them off their horse with one blow.
    A lot of this comes from the image of the Middle Ages created in the Victorian times. Things were romanticized to make it read better.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 10:59am

My experiences are just the opposite. Most people I meet while I'm slinging are fascinated by it, and I have already taught three people how to sling on one little beach area, alone. They all seem to have come away with a lot of new found respect for a primitive weapon after I teach them how to use it and demonstrate how powerful it can be. One fisherman saw me take off a good sized chunk out of the trunk of a dead tree with a glancing shot and I heard him mutter "Good god.." and another guy said the same thing my dad said the first time he ever saw me hurl a rock way out, which was "Holy s***!" I think a lot of people are surprised by the potential shown from a weapon that most long ago cast off as useless and outmoded. Which brings me to an interesting point. In military jargon, any form of low-tech warfare, I learned recently, is dubbed "sling and stone" warfare or "sling and stone fighting" no matter what weapons are actually used. We're the figurehead for all primitive combat!

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 12:40pm

well people who see me at it want to know how its done and all people i tell about it disregard it as something not worth knowing..people with dogs seem to like it like hell when shown with a tennisball  Grin

Taiki  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 2:59pm

People tend to like it better when show them slinging than when I tell them about it.
Probarbly because of what you people just said, that they are surprised about the power of the sling when they see it, because they dont expect such a primitive weapon to that effective.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 3:11pm

Boys in my sculpture class were fascinated with it and some people want me to use it when I shouldn't.
Others thing Im a grunting caveman and that Im a freak. Grin

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 3:21pm

Yeah, mine do to. I stopped that by saying " well, someone's going to have to catch the stones. Any volunteers?"

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 3:45pm

I have had two types of experiences when i was out slinging.
The first was the whole rolled eyes when i was out trying to learn with ammo that was way too light. marbles landing about 15 feet in front of ya sort of thing.
so I think what leads to the bleeping immature idiot type of thinking is someone went out after reading too many bible stories and got less than worthwhile results.

Know after some trouble shooting on my part and i could actually get a little distance things improved a bit.
When i was slinging on the river in Fort Worth thier were actually people watching me somewhat intrigued, I just wish i had had my usal sling with me so I could get some real distance with it.

I'm intrested in some strange stuff as modern culture goes so I am somewhat used to the whole" well that's great but what real use is it" opinion showed by the majority of modern people out there.

Any way gotta get back t work
Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 6:17pm

Quote:
Boys in my sculpture class were fascinated with it and some people want me to use it when I shouldn't.
Others thing Im a grunting caveman and that Im a freak. Grin

Bjarn,                                                                                    
         You are not a grunting caveman but your avatar IS a grunting caveman ( and that is OK. )   Cheesy                                     .......Dan

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 10:04pm

My family, my flesh and blood.............. they just dont get it!!!!! to my dad its just a new way to get rocks in the lawn for the lawn mower, to my mom its a just dangerous hobby that diverts my attention for "more important things'', to my sister its just another excuse to call me a nerdy loser, and my little brother is concerned i will put another hole in the fort  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes o well when we have to revert to a hunter gatherer society, theyll be begging me for food.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man)