Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whipper (Read 1610 times)
Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Whipper
Jun 6th, 2006 at 6:17pm

Here is a whipper I made through the winter. I've had the film for awhile but I kept forgetting to have it developed. Anyway, this is my whipper with 50lbs of counter-weight. Very first whipper I've made. Any comments or constructive critisms are welcomed.

This is my dad and I. I'm in black.

An action photo Smiley

Second photo. A different shot by the way.

And here is the very first shot. It was at night and wasn't able to find the rock because I assumed it would only go 20 feet or so. After a second shot the next day I was able to find it.

Here's a close up of the arm.

I usually fire a 1lb rock. Unfortunently the whipper is now in pieces in my garage. Though the arm is still in tact.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Re: Whipper
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 7:47pm

I made a device similar to this, except powered directly by me. I love your design, particularly the arm pivot. How stable is it when firing? Do you need to support it with your shoulder?

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Castle7

I'm on fire today!!

GR, Michigan
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 8:57pm

In no way do I have to support it except when cocking. All I have to do is pull the trigger and the cw drops along with the arm. The base is nice and large and very stable so it never shook. Unfortunently I didn't think of taking a pic of the trigger while it was engaged.

Tell me about your design.

If I build it, they will run.&&-Mikeel&&&&

IP Logged

Matt_C
Funditor

Cruachan!!!

Cheshire, England
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 10:09pm

Mine was larger, basically a large pole that was stuck in the ground with one person supporting it, then a rope coming from the top of the throwing arm for power, it could lob quite heavy rocks quite far. It was very simple, eventually broke when the axel on the arm snapped :/

The last time I saw a rainbow I threw my beard over it

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)