Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
questions on crossbow bolts. (Read 7788 times)
Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
questions on crossbow bolts.
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 11:41pm

Does anyone here know how to make a decent crossbow bolt? What are the fletchings made of? The bolt itself? Where can I find some metal/wood heads for the quarrel?
How does one decide how to make the quarrel to fit the crossbow?
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2006 at 10:02am by Mike »  

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Quarrel Query (crossbow bolt)
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:23am

All the real crossbow bolts that I have seen are basically large wooden dowels with pyramid shaped metal points.No fletching used at all.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 11:27am

This all depends on everything else to do with your crossbow.  I use Chinese style crossbows with at least foot long draw lengths, so the quarrels are fletched using feathers and are basically short arrows.
  However, I have and shoot several short European-style crossbows.  The quarrels I use are the same length as the bolt groove plus an inch (to be able to fit the head without it interfering with the workings.)  I have fletched bolts using feathers, waxed paper, and three layers of thin cotton cloth sewed together.  They all work, but you need to either centre the fletching well on the bolt, or spiral it well (to achieve a rifling effect and greater accuracy).  I find that feathers work best at range, as they are lighter, and the lift will carry the bolts better than the thicker, heavier fletch will do.
With regards to bolt heads:  I use quite a lot of blunt heads, because they are easy to make and completely free - just a wooden knob on the end of the bolt.  Other heads I've used are wooden blades (like south Pacific arrows), bamboo, flint, flattened tacks and nails, and a few bone heads from beef joints.  I don't know about other kinds I'm afraid.

IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:51pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll use nails, as they are the easiest obtainable metal around here. Could leather or just spiraling the quarrel suffice as a fletching?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 5:08pm

Mine are 13 inches long which takes up about 3/4 of the groove in the bow. They appear to be made from dowels and are tipped with traditional field point ( Target points).
These are the field points design to be used on wooden solid shafted arrows. Basicly shot of glue inside and press the shaft insside of them.
they have two feather fletchings and handle being launched from a 125 pound 14th century replica bow fairly well.
on fitting the quarrels to your bow i would just recomend trying a wide variety of bolts and finding out what suits you best. I'm thinking of going to a slightly wider diameter (and heavier) quarrel for mine but that's a ways away from being reality

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Does anyone here know how to make a decent crossbow bolt? What are the fletchings made of? The bolt itself? Where can I find some metal/wood heads for the quarrel?
How does one decide how to make the quarrel to fit the crossbow?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 7:37pm

I use leather for my bolt fletchings..

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:14pm

Quote:
Mine are 13 inches long which takes up about 3/4 of the groove in the bow. They appear to be made from dowels and are tipped with traditional field point ( Target points).
These are the field points design to be used on wooden solid shafted arrows. Basicly shot of glue inside and press the shaft insside of them.
they have two feather fletchings and handle being launched from a 125 pound 14th century replica bow fairly well.

on fitting the quarrels to your bow i would just recomend trying a wide variety of bolts and finding out what suits you best. I'm thinking of going to a slightly wider diameter (and heavier) quarrel for mine but that's a ways away from being reality

Marc Adkins

Where do you get your field points? I havent gone to a hardware store lately, so I have been using half-inch nuts on the end for weight.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2006 at 11:47pm

Honestly I bought them already on the bolts from a fellow reenacter way back when when i had more money than common sense.

You can get them from any well stock archery store. There is an archery store near me that does only archery stuff. 
so try the local archery shops ( if any) and if there are none around you try the big hunting store chains like Cabellas or Bass Pro.
I think I have seen them in the local Bass Pro when my father was trying to talk thier archery shop into  attaching a fishing bow rig to a laminated fiberglass recurve.
While that debacle was going on I was half looking at the merchandise trying not to be associated with him and just wanting to get out of there.

Hope this helps

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Where do you get your field points? I havent gone to a hardware store lately, so I have been using half-inch nuts on the end for weight.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:42am

Search "crossbow" theirs a 20 some odd page discussion.

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:49am

if you have a walmart near you (gods, who doesn't anymore, ugh...) they sell field points made of metal with screws for fitting into the end of the aluminum arrowshaft. Something like a dozen to a box.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 1:32pm

" Honestly I bought them already on the bolts from a fellow reenacter way back when when i had more money than common sense."

ah those where the days. Now that i have a car and must put gas in it i seem to have more of every thing but money Undecided

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 1:39pm

Walmart still have not conquered all of Europe.
And while many European chains seem to be like them, they do not sell weapons in supermarkets.

Lucky us.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 2:53pm

Quote:
if you have a walmart near you (gods, who doesn't anymore, ugh...) they sell field points made of metal with screws for fitting into the end of the aluminum arrowshaft. Something like a dozen to a box.

They wouldn't happen to sell field points in the aisle with knives/paintball guns? I don't know if Superwalmarts have an archery section. Ours doesn't seem to.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 3:55pm

have you asked a "helpful sales associate"?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2006 at 6:04pm

More or less, no. Most of the employees at our Walmart that "help" are my age. If I can't find it, they can't. I just haven't been there many times or knew that they sold arrowheads. The major defect of Walmart is that quantity can't replace quality, no matter how cheap it is, some expensive things pay for themselves.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus)