Where do u find it in CA? San Jose? ???

IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Re: flint
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:33pm

Ive got the same problem, but, cant find any in Ontario.
I assume you could get it retail if you look.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 2:12am

Find a section of california with a lot of limestone. In Texas flint seems to form where there is a lot of limestone ??? Undecided

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 2:58am

As always in this day and age, the answer to your question is Ebay

Loki

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 3:35am

And do not forget google  Grin

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 11:06am

Bjarn, depending on where you are in Ontario, you can make a trip across the border to Western New York. We have flint in abundance here. In fact, we have an entire escarpment of it.
  Gee, I wonder what the border security would say if they knew that you were carrying potential weapons?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 11:54am

If you're going to buy a knife or cutting implement, buy a steel one.  Flint is for convenience; and convenience of price.
  You could start by using old glass bottles.  They fracture well - very well - and will prepare you for using flint quite well.  I find flint primarily in chalk heavy sites, and I don't know about California so much, I'm afraid.  It's as big as England, so...  I expect there is something out there.  Could be basalt, could be quartz or chalcedony - but I am almost certain that there is a rock out there that is near you, and that will make some great tools.
  My golden rule is, never buy when you don't have to.

IP Logged

Antti
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Finland
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 3:00am

Same problem here., Exept I heard that Flint doesn't exist in Finland!!!

The only place here is "where river meets the sea". Old ships used rock-ballast, and when they sailed upriver they unloaded their ballast...

I have been told, that flint exist almost everywhere else.. And it is the most common rock. So you shouldnt have problems finding it..

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 7:11am

Welcome Antti. It's alway nice to welcome newcomers to our group. Check things out and pick up a sling and get to it! Wink

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 4:45pm

Antti, can you enlighten some non-finns but those who absolutely love finns on what the old finns would have used for tools if they had no flint? Smiley

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

slinghunter
Novicius

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 6:54pm

can someone give me a picture of flint and limestone piece? (raw)

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 8:02am

Bjarn, pre-historic Finnish people (Saami/Lapp too) would probably have used granite and other, coarser, rocks to hew and chop logs and things, and probably bone and antler for finer work.

If you want to know what limestone, chalk and flint look like, google them.  You will probably get a lot of photos and information on how they are formed and where you find them.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 10:35am

On the other hand, Bjarn, I happen to know that just north of Toronto are deposits of soapstone. Man. I wish we had that here.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 9:55pm

slingbadger---
we (WNY) have flint in aboundance?!?! is it along the niagra escarptment? any good spots or tips? thanks!!

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

Amras
Descens

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 10:04am

The wast coast native tribe did not use flint as far as I know. They used shales, slate, bone,  and obsidian. You should try looking for obsidian. It is more abundent on the west coast than flint.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar)