Send Topic Print
Lasso (Read 7028 times)
Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Lasso
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 3:01pm

How do you use a lasso, and what knot do you tie it with? Also, what rope is good?

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Lasso
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 3:21pm

You tie it with the honda knot, and I found a few links for you, if you use google you will find many more:
http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/autumn/lariat.htm
http://www.juggling.org/books/lasso/

The rope needs to be very hard laid and is for sale in the USA, but on a search on the knot forum we did not find a European suplier.

Willeke

(All I know is from books and the net, real experience is more welcome  Wink )

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 9:42pm

I grew up next to a famous Cowboy rope twirler named Tommy Dunn.He use to let me play with some of his ropes and I remember that they always seemed very stiff to me.Don't remember what kind of rope it was though. Embarrassed

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 12:16pm

BTW. there is a difference between twirling, and throwing. I don't know how to twirl, and don't have the right rope. Too involved for me, and of no practical use other than llooking pretty. (not to mention way more expensive than you'd think.)

Generally you don't hve to buy expensive lines unless your doing some professional work. Hemp works great.

I believe the apparatus itself is called a Lariat, the knot a honda, and the line... well line.

Lariate throwing can be alot of fun, but make sure you start close, and then work your way back. Throwing isn't easy, namely because you still have to aim correctly.

Here's the site I learned the basics on. The information is pretty solid.

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/spin_rope/throw_lariat.htm

Have fun!

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 5:16pm

oooooh you bet i will Grin *evil glint in the eye* i have Lots of little kids running around the place Roll Eyes

Taiki  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 5:58pm

Thanks for the information! Now I got something to do tomorrow!  Grin

Gard

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:17pm

Ok Coming from a ranching family I'm having to reach back a few years here so please bear with me.
A lot of the competitive rodeo cowboys use "grass rope" Which I belive is Manila. Some use rawhide lariats. Most modern working cowboys use Nylon.

Yep I was trained in how to use a lariat by both my fathers and mothers family. Unfortuneatly I have a diffrent dominate eye and hand. right hand/left eye dominate so I can't really throw weapons ( including Lariats) accurately.  I had to use what's called a Vaquerro throw. Which drove my extremely predujiced families crazy in that i was using that "Mexican!!!" style instead of the good proper technique. Now I am currently 37 and a lot of this started back when i was around 5-10 years old.

What this technique is instead of gripping the lariat just below the knot loop I have an additional three wraps of rope in my right hand. This is in addition to the loop of rope loosely held in my left hand. The Vaquerro technique is supposed to be more accurate in both accuracy and distance. Now I have no reference other than I read it in an old book on cowboys when I was much younger.

Now to make this thread even more intresting to me is that my youngest son has a severe and chronic lifelong neurological condition. in order to correct some of his developmental delays and get him caught up we have been working him on his hand eye coordination.  So me and my father have started working on the lariat with him. Yep my father commented on my hispanic style again but without some of the venom used in the past. and a good time was had by all.  we'll probably break the lariats out again in a couple of weeks

Marc Adkins
I'll do a bit more research and get up to speed again on this topic

Quote:
How do you use a lasso, and what knot do you tie it with? Also, what rope is good?

Gard

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:22pm

Yes most lariats are extremely stiff.
Some of the old stories i was told referred to the old cowhands dragging thier new lariats behind them for a bit to loosen them up before they coupld be used. what we did instead was to work them by hand.
how we did this was to take short lengths of the lariat and work it up and down a and then side by side a bit until it loosened up .

Marc Adkins

Quote:
I grew up next to a famous Cowboy rope twirler named Tommy Dunn.He use to let me play with some of his ropes and I remember that they always seemed very stiff to me.Don't remember what kind of rope it was though. Embarrassed

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:31pm

Hey Unsapien,
Link below is quite good with a few minor glitches and one major one.
The major one is you don't step forward ( at least not how I was taught) ya cant really safely step forward while the horse is moving.
One of the minor glitches was that all the lariats in use in both my parents familiys had knots on the end.
That was about all i was able to read before SWMBO ( She Who Must Be Obeyed) came back from her ereand and wants on the system Smiley
I'll read it a bit further and in more detail later.
what little i skimmed, looks good for someone who wants to target throw on foot.
Back on later
Marc Adkins

Quote:
BTW. there is a difference between twirling, and throwing. I don't know how to twirl, and don't have the right rope. Too involved for me, and of no practical use other than llooking pretty. (not to mention way more expensive than you'd think.)

Generally you don't hve to buy expensive lines unless your doing some professional work. Hemp works great.

I believe the apparatus itself is called a Lariat, the knot a honda, and the line... well line.

Lariate throwing can be alot of fun, but make sure you start close, and then work your way back. Throwing isn't easy, namely because you still have to aim correctly.

Here's the site I learned the basics on. The information is pretty solid.

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/spin_rope/throw_lariat.htm

Have fun!

-Unsapien

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Rodrieguez
Tiro

Netherlands
Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 12:56pm

I hava a couple of Riatas myself

I only use rope made from agave,
If you just do this the first time I shoud use Sisalrope    ( 8mm)
If you have a good throwing hand (you should , youre a sling user ) I should use maguey rope.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 9:14pm

Riata,
Haven't heard that term in a while Smiley
So any comments on the" Vaquero" style I was using when I was much younger?
Marc Adkins

Quote:
I hava a couple of Riatas myself

I only use rope made from agave,
If you just do this the first time I shoud use Sisalrope    ( 8mm)
If you have a good throwing hand (you should , youre a sling user ) I should use maguey rope.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 10:00am

How do you do the "Vaquero" style?

Gard

IP Logged

Rodrieguez
Tiro

Netherlands
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 11:07am

Wel, I have learned this "Vaquero" style some years ago but I personaly didn't like it becaus of the extra time it took me before I could throw my Riata

I do know for certain that this throw is better for both range and acuracy

Since I use my Riata almost daily I just use the stait toss on foot and the 2-windups throw on horseback or in a run.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 1:20pm

Remember it's been almost 15 years since i had to seriously throw a lariat. and it's been even longer since I came across the reference in a long forgotten book.
Like most thing it's easier to show how than to actually describe it but I'll try

How I did it.
Create your throwing loop in your lariat.
With you right hand by the hondo place 2 additional coils from your left hand to your right hand.
Twirl lariat twice overhead and release at target.

Since Rodrieguez sounds like his use is far more current than mine I'll let him add any additional comments.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
How do you do the "Vaquero" style?

Gard

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2006 at 1:24pm

Definately aggree with both range and accuracy.

Now I may not be using a true vaquero style.
Like I said when I was much younger I came across a description with no illustrations and I adapted it to the style my families were trying to teach me and my cousins.

So I could very well have used a hybrid style. Now can't remember it taking any more time than the standard throw..but like i said it has been a while.

Hey Rodrieguez where do you live anyway

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Wel, I have learned this "Vaquero" style some years ago but I personaly didn't like it becaus of the extra time it took me before I could throw my Riata

I do know for certain that this throw is better for both range and acuracy

Since I use my Riata almost daily I just use the stait toss on foot and the 2-windups throw on horseback or in a run.

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus)