slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
battle lassoes
Jun 2nd, 2006 at 9:14am

From  Heodotus' Persian Wars, Book VII

He mentions a people called the Sagartians

" It is not the wont of this people to carry arm, either of  bronze, or steel, except for a dirk; but they use lassoes of thongs plaited together.
    Now, for the manner in which they fight is the following; when they meet their enemy, straightaway they discharge their lassoes, which end in a noose, then when the noose encircles, be it man or horse, they drag towards them, and the foe, entangled in its toils, is forthwith slain."

Sounds good for offense, but what about defense?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Re: battle lassoes
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 10:59am

I don't believe defense is the point.  Mongolians and other steppe peoples from early history to the middle ages used lassoes in combat, throwing the horse hair ropes from horses and charging off if possible.

I just googled "Sagartians", and it said that they were nomads who used horses and lassoes, so I suppose they fought in the same style as lasso wielding Mongols.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #2 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 3:29pm

In a book about arms and armour by Charles Boutell, there is a section on more primitive weapons and they talk about use of the lasso by the Peruvians. He says there is a regular (I picture a cowboy) lasso, and then one that is a rope with a rock tied to one end. The rock could be thrown at an opponent or steed's leg; if it hit, it may break the bone, and if it missed and went past, it could be jerked back and entangle the opponent.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Stenny
Funditor

Don't laugh at me, I can
sling in every direction!

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 3:47pm

...it could be jerked back...
That is a VERY BAD idea with a ropedart, and this is essentially a primitive ropedart. Beware of the rock if you want to try this!

Slinger, martial artist, knife thrower, blowgunner and general weirdo since 1998.&&Proud owner of official Zombie hunting permit and scars to prove it's worth.&&Underestimating a fighter or a weapon is the surest way to make plastic surgeons happy.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #4 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 7:44pm

Interesting.

I think the that "lasso" sounds like a single stone bola. I imagine that they were thrown fairly far, and that jerking back was less dangerous (just a guess)

Interesting that lasso's should be mentioned here. I was teaching someone how to rope yesturday (Cowboy style). I tied a honda, on a wonderfly worn rope, it was supple yet stiff enough to form a good lasso. The owner apparently got it from a vacedo (Original cowboys) on his way to el dorado.

(forgive the pun) He was very attached to the rope. I took it down after using it to hoist something for the celebation I was attending, and he came up asked for his rope. We began talking, and before you know it I'm roping my friends, and showing other people how to. It was alot of fun, but I started getting self concious when my friend said I was a good teacher.

Funny how that works, when your minds off it you do fine and then someone mentions that your doing a good job, and you forget how to move.

Cool topic guys.

-Aaron

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)