Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Battle axe (Read 10685 times)
Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Battle axe
May 29th, 2006 at 4:47pm

I recently went to an antique show/flea market, and got this axe for just 20 bucks! Much cheaper than a replica place or an online company. It is one badass battleax (probably made for woodcutting, but it would also work for war). Although the handle is only about 25", the head is around 4 lbs (can see how big it is in the pic), and would be murder to use in only one hand!
Be sure to check out the local flea market for cheap axes. There are usually a few guys who are tool sellers.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: Battle axe
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006 at 5:18pm

that is a HUGE axe.  most of the wood cutting/splitting axes at the store aren't half as big. 

that would definately make a nice battle axe.

you know, when i saw the first pic, i thought it was a tomahawk, because of the shape and form of the blade. 

then i saw the second pic and my eyes fell out of my head.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2006 at 6:41pm

still looking for my eyes in fact  Shocked that thing looks like an executioners axe in my eye  Tongue Cool never the less

Taiki  
IP Logged

drum_slinger

Armed with a heart of
steel.

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2006 at 7:12pm

wonderful looking, you should try and throw it at a target. See what kind of devastation it would wreak. If you can make it go to the target

Funditor et celsus.&&&&Cape Hoc!!
Zyahtiger@aol.com  
IP Logged

ben_banned
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2006 at 9:02pm

Holt Crap thats one big axe!

zero tolerance=zero intelligence

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2006 at 9:18pm

Don't miss! It may take several minutes to bring it back up!

You may want to make a longer handle out of a really nice piece of hickory so that it can be effectively used with two hands. Maybe a spike or something on the butt of the handle as well would be fun Smiley

So how many people do you think you get get in one swing?

If all else fails, you can use it as a shield  Tongue

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2006 at 10:13pm

Chaotic Rage!                                                                  
         Outlandish!! Siguy is right, it does look like a tomahawk insofar
as the shape of the blade is concerned. Then I, too, saw the second picture!! Shocked Shocked Shocked                                                                           
         Now I confess to considerable puzzlement. Is this a modern axe? Are there any manufacturers markings on it? Did the seller give you any information about it??                                                 
         Certainly it does appear to need a much longer handle.      
                                                                                          .......Dan

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2006 at 2:55am

Couple of questions fro ya Chaotic.
Can you geta camera shot of the edge facing the camera?
whats the estimated weight of the axe?

I think I know what you have and I need the following to confirm my theory.
I used to do a lot of felling axework (Droping trees using just an axe) to stay in shape.
I would also buck ( Cut the wood to size) using an axe and a crosscut saw. ( Yes I'm that Crazy)
To make matters even worse i would split said wood using a froe and then dress with a hand adze or if the tree was big enough I would skip the froe and use a foot adze.

What I think just based the head design, the attachment point of head to handle and the size of the head is that you have a hewing broad axe used to make round trees into square timbers

Marc Adkins
Quote:
I recently went to an antique show/flea market, and got this axe for just 20 bucks! Much cheaper than a replica place or an online company. It is one badass battleax (probably made for woodcutting, but it would also work for war). Although the handle is only about 25", the head is around 4 lbs (can see how big it is in the pic), and would be murder to use in only one hand!
Be sure to check out the local flea market for cheap axes. There are usually a few guys who are tool sellers.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #8 - May 30th, 2006 at 3:11am

Quote:

Now I confess to considerable puzzlement. Is this a modern axe?

It could be, but there are probably about the same numbers of companies today making this specialized of an axe as there are fingers on your right hand.

Are there any manufacturers markings on it?

Personally based on the pictures and my experience with antique hand tools ( If it isn't modern) I would doubt it and if they were you would need a high speed rotary wire brush to see it and it would be hard to read

Did the seller give you any information about it??  

Again if my experience is any indication not really. I once had a vendor tell me a new modern hewing axe I was looking at was used to fell trees with. but I'll let Chaotic Rage fill in a lot of detail on that

Certainly it does appear to need a much longer handle.      

If it is a hewing broad axe the handle is about the right size. Keep in mind with this type of axe depending on the size of the trunk it is either laying directly on the ground or is supported on both ends by a cradle. A chalk line is snapped on the upper side of the trunk where the hewing is to take place.  the trunk is then notched repeatedly down it's length with either an felling axe or a crosscut saw. The hewer then strikes the trunk on the line knocking off the unwanted wood creating a flat surface. he either advances or takes on step back Depending if he is working forwards or backwards then repeats the strike. the blow pretty much is vertical and should only move from mid chest to waist.

Marc Adkins        
                                                                                  .......Dan

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #9 - May 30th, 2006 at 3:15am

Oh yeah on the longer handle issue, one hand is on the butt end of the handle and the other hand is about 2/3rds of the way up the head pushing down on the blade, gravity and inertia are doing most of the work

Marc Adkins

Quote:

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #10 - May 31st, 2006 at 12:58pm

I thought it was a tomahawk as well, then when I saw your hand on the blade....it didnt look so much like just a tomahawk anymore.
Now I read and apparently all thought alike.

It may not be a "battle axe" exactly but how effective as a battle axe would it be?
Would you bring the hit from the side, or the top?
Because I cant see how the blade would work; being naive to such things.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2006 at 5:04pm

Sorry about the confusion guys... I have small hands.

I'm kidding! The dealer said he got a bunch of axeheads from France, and I have a feeling they were not mass-produced. I'm sure it's not recently made, because the head is not very shiny and the original handle has lots of cracks/worm holes. If this could be used in battle (I've read that axes for battle are lighter that woodcutting), it would probably be more effective on a ~4 foot handle. That way, the user's hands could still be separated for handling, but still be long enough for lots of leverage. Compared to another woodcutting axe I have with a 3.5 lb head, this is significantly larger and heavier. Maybe 4.5- 5lbs even  Shocked. I shudder at this, thinking how some of those 5 foot Renaissance two-handed swords were this weight total, and balanced more evenly. About the balance point, it is right about at the bottom of the metal socket. Slow, but would do a lot.
I will get an edge shot soon  Wink.

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 9:07am

The problem with these battleaxes is that, with training, it's possible to duck/dodge them.
  Think about it. Once you get past a certain point in the arc of the swing, you are dedicated to the course of that arc. Gravity and momentum take over, and no one is strong enough to change that course.
  So, someone can watch the course, duck or move out or the way, allowing the axe to finish it's course. That means it takes the swinger with it, and in the position he is in, he is totally open.
this is how the Irish were able to kick the Viking's butts in battles. The Vikings had the big two handed swords and axes, the Irish, the short leaf blade swords. Wait for the opponent to finish the swing, then attack.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 5:27pm

if he doesn't cleave you in half while you wait, yes.

(that,s why romans joked with slashing weapons in general. - behind their big shields, and short - piercing swords, they were better protected than wild and savage barbarians thet wielded fearsome looking, but cubersome weapons)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 6:22pm

in I33 the darn near the whole book is getting the other guys swords in that posistion.

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris)