Send Topic Print
Lucet braiding (Read 702 times)
Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Lucet braiding
May 28th, 2006 at 11:58pm

Has anyone ever tried making a chord with a lucet? It produces a square braid with a single string, but I can't find a way to make a pouch besides making a really long chord tying it to make a string pouch and weaving in more line. Any ideas?

Oh and by the way:
http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Lucet braiding
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2006 at 1:03am

Would you believe...
this one
? Wink

Your lucet is a very simple knitting machine. Being limited to just a few stitches precludes putting a knit-on pocket like mine, but there are some other options. You pull your last two stitches out longer, giving you 2 strings on one side (looped) and three on the other (one loop, one free end) doubling the loop back on itself gives you six on one, seven on the other, which is enough for a woven split pouch, or a six strand balearic-type braid split. really most of the options that are open to the braiders. It is pretty easy to pick up the loops at the end just by working them back into the knitting, using the lucet.

Matthias

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2006 at 4:43am

Wow, nice work! Does it stretch at all when you use it?

I feel kind of stupid here, I didn't understand a word you said about having the last to stitches drawn out and doubling. Could you explain further?

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - May 29th, 2006 at 12:46pm

I knew I was going to mangle that explanation, but without pics it is a little hard to explain. If you have a section of knit cord in front of you, the end is made up of looped stitches, and there should be the tail of the cord you are knitting with. The trick is that you can make the stitches any size you want. With the lucet they al end up being about the size of the upright pegs - with needles it's your needles diameter. Once they are formed though, you can stretch them out to any dize you want just by feeding in some slack from the loose end.

If you picture your lucet cord as ending in two stitches (one for each upright), the end of the cord at any time before you tie everything off is made up of two small loops and the loose yarn. Stretch those two loops out and you get two BIG loops and a loose end.

A trick that you can use to increase the number of cords when you are working with loops is pass the big loop (you'll want to stretch it out to about 4 times longer than your final split pocket) back through the small loop in the row behind it. (I'm losing people here again aren't I? Undecided). Folded like an N. All of a sudden you have *three* big loops, that you could braid like a balearic pocket if you wanted. On the other side, you'll have three loops and a spare strand - I'd just tuck that one in and braid with one group of 3. If you are weaving, use the tail as your weft.

The knit cord doesn't stretch at all once it is set. I'm using nylon twine.

Matthias

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)