Send Topic Print
some more insight (Read 2748 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
some more insight
May 28th, 2006 at 3:03pm

i found these pictures in a kid's bible translation book, and thought that i should share. 

the sling looks alot like a strip sling that has been the topic of discussion in the project goliath forum, except that it has a pouch attached to it.

the grip seems to be a full handed grip with tails hanging out of the hand, as discussed in the 'assyrian slings with tails' topic in the general discussion.  the slinging style is shown and described as overhead(which i think is a little innacurate)

this picture offers some more explanation about why david did not wear saul's armor, which has been discussed numerous times throughout the forum.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: some more insight
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2006 at 4:08pm

Interesting conjecture on the part of the illustrator.  Certainly however, David's experience would have taught him to make his slings more suited for their primary purpose....which was short to mid range accuracy.  

As he hadn't the experience of long range combat....his slings may have been made of a single consistent length and would certainly not have been implemented in strap form.....such form being wholly inadequate for consistent accuracy during the arcuate path of his ammo before release.

The artist's misconceptions mirror that of his Assyrian counterparts.

Although, I can personally vouch for the efficacy of a sliding pouch on 'run through' cordage.  I have employed a similar pocket setup with my shot pouches, which are made to cinch up before and during the cast and open freely to create a serviceable shot pattern after release.

For reasons I hope to make quite clear in the near future,  I believe it likely that David was a master of the overhand cast, using it to dispatch Goliath.

TS
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2006 at 8:08pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2006 at 4:43pm

looks like a pretty good sling (i wish i had leather to make it Sad)

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2006 at 6:21pm

David was late teens early twenties though, right?

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2006 at 8:09pm

that stumped me too.. i figure it's an attemt to make the story more apealing to kids ?

Taiki  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2006 at 8:25pm

What an awful rock to have to sling! It would whir and hum, and curve around like a boomerang. Scary... but not exactly one shot one kill.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2006 at 1:39am

That is what you get when the illustrator does not understand slinging.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #7 - May 29th, 2006 at 1:58am

CanDo,
I believe that David was in his late teens.  He was old enough and strong enough to have been trusted with watching over his father's sheep, and to have killed both lions and bears that wanted lamb for dinner.  Yet he was still  regarded as a youth, too young to serve in the army (in Israel a man had to be twenty years old to join the army; see the Book of Numbers, chapter 1).

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Kold
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2006 at 12:56pm

on a whole i would have to say that it doesnt really matter what age David was, the point of the story is that the "good" can triumph over the "evil" no matter how small it may be.

Loki

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2006 at 1:25pm

Quote:
on a whole i would have to say that it doesnt really matter what age David was.

I am, at this moment, picturing toddler David fast removing his diaper, gripping it tightly.....and in one deft, smooth movement he hurls a dooky at the Philistine behemoth....the extra diaper material producing a loud 'Craaack!'....then....'Splaaaat!'

Certainly not the 'stuff' of legend.

Cheesy

TS

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2006 at 10:51pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - May 29th, 2006 at 8:19pm

So that's what happens when the s**t hits the F..ilistine! Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - May 29th, 2006 at 8:44pm

Quote:
I am, at this moment, picturing toddler David fast removing his diaper, gripping it tightly.....and in one deft, smooth movement he hurls a dooky at the Philistine behemoth....the extra diaper material producing a loud 'Craaack!'....then....'Splaaaat!'

Certainly not the 'stuff' of legend.

Cheesy

TS

Thanks, TS, I really needed a description that graphic  Tongue Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man)