Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Card/Tablet Weaving a Sling (Read 1144 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Card/Tablet Weaving a Sling
May 25th, 2006 at 10:41pm

Does anyone card/tablet weave(and can do so with some success)?
Sometime ago I tried to learn how to card weave.. and though it is a really really simple idea and process(but can get very very entricate [sp?]) i simply couldnt make a strap very well(lol if at all...)

If anyone has ever card/tablet wove a strap, I'd be very interested in getting some tips to make some pouches using this type of weaving.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Card/Tablet Weaving a Sling
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2006 at 12:40am

I've done a few samples, and even started a sling using card weaving, but other techniques held my attention more. You can certainly make very nice bands, that would be good for cords, and give a nice, decorative and non-twisty sling. Rockchucker made some beauties - posted in
this thread

So far as pouches go, it is very easy to add strands in a systematic way just by looping the set for each card around the last row of weft. The problem, as always, is coming up with a graceful way of dropping the extras when you no longer need them. I'll see if I can dig up some photots of my attempt. The bands were chevron pattern, with the design splitting around the pouch edges, wich was filled with a checkerboard. Because the weave is warp-faced, you can hide the dropped strands by doubleing them back into the weft in the row that you reduce them in.

I'd like to see someone run with this though. Three options: woven bands with a leather pouch (maybe the easiest, would look neat), cords with a webbing pouch using the card woven bands for the split pocket, all woven... Letus know how you make out!

Matthias
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2006 at 6:43pm by Matthias »  

IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2006 at 6:03pm

Actually if I were to make some cords, i'd prolly use a crocheted pouch and attach the cords the way I described in the Different slings topic (my new favorite sling design)

Gotta keep on trying Smiley

Keep ya posted

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2006 at 6:11pm

When you want to take out the extra strands, use them for the weft, or lay them in with the weft.

I would make a braided string, woven pouch and an other braided string.
If you split the pouch you do not even need to add many extra strands.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #4 - May 26th, 2006 at 6:45pm

thanks for the tip on losing the extra strands by including them w/ the weft
that will help a ton

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)