new braiding tip (Read 1384 times)
Chosen-frozen
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Iwamizawa, Northern Japan
new braiding tip
May 23rd, 2006 at 11:37am

Hi Guys!

First and formost I appologize for not posting a picture, but bear with me.
     I think I came up with a slick way to braid a finger loop on the retention cord. Most of the time you start in the middle of the strands, braid 10-12 cm and then double the ends over combigning both ends into a single braid so your finger loop is 1/2 the size of your retention cord. It`s fast, and simple and it works. So why reinvent the wheel? `Cause it`s fun. (And I`m sick enough that braiding patterns come to me in my sleep, demanding to be given shape.)
      But I came up with a way to get the loop the same diameter as the cord. I`m braiding kumihimo style on a marudai.When you start the braid , some people tie a small string around the spot where all the strands cross. This gives them a place to add weight to keep tension on the strands, and the cord is just pulled out later when the braid is finished. It occured to me that you could wrap the strands around something larger than a string, and create space.
        What I did was place a small pencil under the plate of the marudai (kagami) so that it was above the strands before I started braiding. This way the end of the braid formed a loop around the pencil like the eye of a needle. When I had 10-12 cm braided, I removed the pencil and threaded 1/2 of the strands through the eye I`d created. This put the eye deadcenter where all the strands cross. Then I continued braiding normally.
       The result was a seamlees joint in the braid and a loop that`s the same thickness as the cord.
       I hope this wasn`t TOO hard to understand. It may be old hat to a more experianced braider, but it was a cool bit of insperation to me.
       When I finish the sling later this week I`ll try to get some pictures up.

Greet everyone you meet with kindness and a friendly smile....but make plans to kill them just in case.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: new braiding tip
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:55pm

Thanks for reminding me.
I have made several objects this way, but I never thought about making a sling this way.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2006 at 3:55pm

I really need a picture to understand this  Undecided

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Thanks!  Wink   I'm trying this over memorial day holiday ... and will continue braiding over the weekend.  Mine will be a very open weave at the join  Tongue as I only had a very fat pencil when I started; but I wanted to try anyway. I'll probably just do braided cords for a leather pouch as I am doing a seven strand over two via braiding disk.  Cheesy

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2006 at 4:47pm

If you start (say) a four strand braid with 2 strands, folded in the middle, you end up with a little "eye" at the beginning of the braid. Once you've braided enough for a finger loop, passing some/half of the strands through that little loop ties the fingerloop closed, and you can continue to braid, forming the retnetion cord.

Good refinement C-f. Nice clean way of making a loop, without knots or cut strands to work in, and it allows you to use all of your strands in the loop instead of half of them, like in many patterns. This should work particularily well with fewer stranded designs - 3 or 4 strands braids.

Matthias

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2006 at 5:09pm

I use it on four strand round braids, you can also feed 2 strands from the one side and the others from the other side through the loop. So then all strings take the load.
I am making a icture, but it takes more time than I want.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Chosen-frozen
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Iwamizawa, Northern Japan
Reply #6 - May 25th, 2006 at 11:27am

Quote:
I use it on four strand round braids, you can also feed 2 strands from the one side and the others from the other side through the loop. So then all strings take the load.
I am making a icture, but it takes more time than I want.

Willeke

Wow, I never thouht of doing it that way. Thanks for the tip. I`ll try it with the next one.
Dave "Chosen-frozen" Young

Greet everyone you meet with kindness and a friendly smile....but make plans to kill them just in case.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15)