Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New sling idea or not... that is the question (Read 2366 times)
David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
New sling idea or not... that is the question
May 22nd, 2006 at 5:32pm

Hey guys,

I **think** I may have come up with a new sling design, using just braiding... but I may be wrong and one of you allready had thought it up (You guys are usually pretty good at that)

So here are some pictures of it and I will try my hardest to discribe how I made it.

Basically it is an 18 strand braid whis splits in to 3 six strand braids which split again into 3 strand braids and then recombine in to 3 six strand braids which then finally recombine into another 18 strand braid. Probably makes no sense so here is a pitiful attempt at using paint to express my ideas.

In the drawing:

White= 18 strand braid
Red= 6 strand braid
Yellow= 3 strand braid
Blue= 9 strand braid

I like this design it can handle most size rocks from golfballish to softball size easily and ammo is much less likely to fall out than a simple split pouch. Also the 3 finger loop gives me a much better grip. I made this sling out of 20 pound hemp and remarkably the cords are not as thick as one would think with 18 strands (they are about 1 cm wide). Also this sling dosent take too long to make, only about 3 hrs.

I plan on making an other one to work out some of the bugs (the pouch likes to flip) and to increase length ( I ran out of hemp) Cry

So any comments, feedback or hey "I already thought of that"-s  would be greatly appreaciated! Thanks all

>David

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Re: New sling idea or not... that is the question
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:02pm

i like that - it's all one piece, simple, quick to make and looks good.  it might be better if the outermost braids on the poch were combined with the next innermost ones - in the pic of the round stone, the outer braids aren't contacting the stone.
but it's very clever - does it shoot well?

sv

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2006 at 6:08pm

Yeah I noticed that too after I made it. But I was just (like 10 mins ago lol) outside trying it out w\ different size ammo and found out the slack on the outer lines  allows it to grip different sizes and shapes of ammo.  And yes I do like the way it slings.

P.S. Its all ready showing signs of wear  Cry Cry Cry any ideas on how i could stop or at least slow wear on hemp, short of covering the pocket in leather? Maybe dipping it in PVA glue? any suggestions?

davnasca  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:11pm

David,

A few of us here (including me) are rather like the Athenians that Paul met (from the Bible, the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 17): "Now all the Athenians and the strangers sojourning there spent their time in nothing else but either to tell or hear some new thing."

I believe I speak for all us "Athenians" when I say: Thank you!  Something new!

As it happens, I have seen a sling with a netted pouch, similar to yours.  It was designed by
Bob Anderson

I have also seen a sling with a three-finger grip.  It was designed by
TechStuf

However, Anderson's golf ball pouch needs a complicated jig for its assembly.  TechStuf's grip required leather and some plastic spacers.  For that matter,
my copy of TechStuf's grip
still needed leather (I substituted knots for the spacers).

Yours is just braided.  Needs some time, but simple to do.  No extra equipment or materials needed.  You describe how to divide the cords to form the pouch.  I could build one of these myself (it would take longer than three hours, I am slow...)

I like it!

Concerning wear, the Balearic slingers often cover their pouches with leather, but theirs are simple splits (see the bottom-most photo
here
, where the cover is being placed on the sling, and the third photograph
here
, showing the finished sling being loaded). Your pouch is a much more complex shape.  "Painting" the cords with some kind of glue would work.  Another thing you could try is a fiber that resists abrasion better.  Worsted wool might be good (this is, I think, what the ancients referred to with the phrase "well-twisted wool" -- it is twisted into a tight cord, not "fluffy" like the yarn used to knit sweaters).  Nylon would not abrade as fast as natural fibers, but that is not useful if you are trying to stick to natural fibers.

Two cords and a pouch.  What variety can there be in that?

Infinite variety.  Thanks!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:17pm

Doh!

OK, that's what I get for replying to something immediately instead of reading the rest of the new posts.  David, please ignore my blathering about how the folks in Mallorca make their slings, you obviously have already seen that idea -- you posted a picture of just exactly such a sling in the "Different Slings" topic.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:17pm

So true, we all love to hear new devleopments.... on preshistoric weapons!

By the way, very nice sling  8)

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2006 at 4:50am

Nice sling and the best part is it only requires one material Wink
Thanks for sharing

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2006 at 7:42am

david, here's an idea, why not dip the whole pouch in this stuff - it might be worth a try

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8165&frostProductName=Plasti-Di...)

sv

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic

Upstate NY
Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2006 at 2:58pm

Thanks for the compliments guys! And for the tip on how to protect the pouch with the plasti dip.  And to elaborate on Cando "So true, we all love to hear new devleopments.... on preshistoric weapons!" shared via the 21st century invention of the internet!! I love the fact that in this day and age any group of people from any where can exchange ideas on any thing! I love this site!

davnasca  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2006 at 1:16pm

I like it! This is a pic of a peruvian sling we posted a while back that uses a similar idea, but with complicted joining of new strands. Lots of work! I like the simplicity of your pouch.

Matthias

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - May 24th, 2006 at 1:30pm

that's a great design.  it looks like it will work out well.  for the preservation of the sling, nothing comes to mind, but i am heading out to the hardware store in a bit, and i will keep my eyes open for ideas.

great idea, glad to hear it works

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #11 - May 24th, 2006 at 3:31pm

Awsome sling.

Happy to see fresh ideas.

I am working on some of my own.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - May 24th, 2006 at 6:14pm

i am back from the hardware store, but i didn't find alot for protecting your braid.  all i was able to find was that rubber dip stuff that you put you tool handles into.  but then i found it in a spray, which i thought could work.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
god, do i hate my inabillity to upload my pictures
Reply #13 - May 24th, 2006 at 7:11pm

i found a way to improve a one-string sling design, if you don't have a good cord available.

my friend has lost his sling, and all he could find was 3 m. of badly twisted, uneven hemp rope.
he made a one-string sling design, but the rope was to thin, whole sling too flimsy, so most of his stones dropped out during the wind-up.

after seeing it wasn't usable we cut 2 short pieces of spare rope (2-3 inch each), and bind them vertically to each of the three strings that made the pouch. (we bind them so they divided the pouch in three equidistant parts)

we used the most common knot, the one wich you start to tie your shoe laces.

/just try to put the bulging part of the knot on the outer side of the pouch./

it would be better if we had thicker cords, and thinner stabilizators, but it functioned great anyway. not one rock got ot of the pouch prematureley, except when it was the operator's fault.  Tongue

he could sling pebbles soze of a thumb, to those that fit in your fist niceley, because pouch was now more rigidly held in place than we anticipated.

strings were held equaly divided (both vertically and horinzotaly looking), firmly in place, and abe to cast ammo of various size (with wich normal one-string slings have some difficulty, mostly depending on the texture of the cord, and it's thickness).

if all you have is a rope, and you prefer knitting to the most simple version of the sling known to me (wich is i am still entranced by it) because of better consistency, or don't trust in one-string to hold it's ammo, here is your solution (and possible saviour of the sling-trip/day).

tell me if you comprehended what i tried to articulate in the 1:10 in the morning, after a dull day  Undecided

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 5:38pm

just made a new sling - by that design i was rattling in a post above.

now i have to wait for the weather to permit me to test it outdoors. (folded - it's as long as my hand, made for tennis ball sized ammo)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Rat Man, Kick, Curious Aardvark)