Send Topic Print
My slinging place! (Read 1133 times)
Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
My slinging place!
May 21st, 2006 at 2:11pm

I had found the perfect slinging place at the edge of the river, with loads of perfect stones, just lying there waiting for me to sling them. The river had a little bay, and over the bay it was the perfect distance for aiming at a stone there. Ahh, it was like finding one of the places some of the members here have shown pictures of. Roll Eyes

Well, today I was gonna go there sling a little.
The water was 1 meter higher (it's a regulated river, with a stem). All the perfect gland shaped stones were under water, the distance over the bay to the stone was 5 meter more, and the stones available now were too small. Cry

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: My slinging place!
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:50pm

that's a real shame.  i guess you will have to wait for the flood waters(is that what happened?) to recede, then you can go out slinging.  i have had something similar happen to me.  i plan on making a stone bag that i can take with me when i go hiking so that when i find some nice stones like that, i can take them with me without worrying about getting my normal shoulder bag full of dirt. 

anyways, that is a real shame.  i wish you luck in finding a new place(or waitng for that place to go back to normal)

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2006 at 4:07pm

We get the electricity from the river, so there is a stem further up where they regulate how much water to run though, depending on different things. So now they probarbly have just let more water run through to get more electricity, and the water gets higher...

I've also been thinking of making a bag to have stones in. I made one, but it didnt't get any good, too small, and I'd like it to have pockets and stuff, to have other slings in and stuff. Would've been fun to get everybody come with ideas to make the perfect slinging bag.  Roll Eyes

Gard

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:51pm

i could show you my ammo bag (i made it earlier after i posted the first message).

it is made from some mesh that i am lucky enough to have laying around.  the same stuff that my hammock is made of, if you have seen those posts.

i wouldn't sew extra pockets on to mine because i only really use three or four slings at the most, and i always have them on my person anyways, so it wouldn't do me much good.

it really isn't that hard to make a bag.  mine is very simple.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:57pm

I would think that something like a small backpack or courier's pack would work, with maybe a single shoulder strap so as to go across the chest and maybe not hinder arm movement so much so you could use it while slinging. It could come with an easily-accessable front zipper compartment which would be the main one for holding the rocks and 4 compartments on each side for holding slings which would zipper up and would be clear fronted so you can see which sling is in which compartment and a water bottle holder somewhere because slinging always makes me thirsty. Weight rated for up to 50 lbs, of course,  so you can carry lots of rocks. Anybody know if Eastpack or Jansport is looking for new designs?

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2006 at 7:12pm

Personaly I use a Confederate Army (American Civil War) Replica Haversack for my ammo/shoulder bag while slinging

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcblankhavers.asp

http://www.jarnaginco.com/CWHaversacks.html

http://www.mercurysutler.com/haversacks.htm

obviously these are all commercial sites dealing with the ACW reenactor. you get the idea of what they look like.

Although You could use a plain retired purse. I do this with my back-up shoulder bag. It holds a lot more than my haversack does although you have to carry more  that way. Smiley

For the non United States readers I would look for surplus bread Bags or gas mask carriers/pouches possibly ammunition carriers.

Oh yeah Bummer on the loss of your slinging site. Although by your post I am assuming that it is a temporary/seasonal loss.

Marc Adkins

Quote:
i could show you my ammo bag (i made it earlier after i posted the first message).

it is made from some mesh that i am lucky enough to have laying around.  the same stuff that my hammock is made of, if you have seen those posts.

i wouldn't sew extra pockets on to mine because i only really use three or four slings at the most, and i always have them on my person anyways, so it wouldn't do me much good.

it really isn't that hard to make a bag.  mine is very simple.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2006 at 3:39pm

just to report that swimming season opened on my lake, so slinging season will have to wait for a few months.

i think know of another lake, not too far away, that is really deserted, but it's about 1-2 hours of a car ride away, so it's not as perfect..

anycow i allmost sinked (closer than 1m) two kayaks on jarun (my perfect lake)  Lips Sealed

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #7 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 12:09pm

The water is back to normal, and I can sling again at my favourite slinging place! Yeeeha!!! Grin

As we say, "Aldri en rose uten torner", then you can figure out what that is. (It is not true when it's DNA is fixed or whatever they do!)

Gard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man)