Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
flax cordage (Read 686 times)
sv
Funditor

ireland
flax cordage
May 21st, 2006 at 5:16am

i got hold of a roll of flax cord, which is 3-braid, 2mm thick brown natural fibre. unlike sisal it is dead straight and "neutral"  when unrolled, and unlike jute, it is slightly waxy,   far more uniform and with much more densely-packed fibres. 
i have a good feeling about this, it's going to braid magnificently. with a leather strip on the split  pouch it should last for years. 
has anyone else tried flax?

sv      

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Re: flax cordage
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 10:56am

That sounds like it'll make some great slings. Where did you get it? The stuff I use is made of the cheapest sisal cord ever. That's probable cuase I buy it at the cheapest dollar store ever. Roll Eyes But I can't find anything better anywhere. I think part of the problem must be that no one around here uses natural cordage for anything. Tongue

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2006 at 3:17pm

SV,
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about growing my own flax to make string. I was wondering if anyone had made slings from it to see how it performs. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes slings from natural materials..!!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2006 at 4:05pm

I use 1/2 cm diametre cotton cord which I buy at the local home depot and although I only get 15 metres or so in a package, I only use about 2 metres per sling, so it lasts a while, and being pretty thick, it tends to outlast some of the sling pouches. Although, I suspect that the leather pouch I have on my cotton cord sling will well outlast probably not just the cords but my shoulder as well. (Just went slinging today for the third time in two days so my shoulder is a little stiff)

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Rat Man)