Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sling Vs Sling shot (Read 4882 times)
lord_of_destruction
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

sling Vs Sling shot
May 20th, 2006 at 9:56am

i was wondering which has greater distance power and accuracy as i have only just got into slings i previosly used to use sling shots and still do

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Re: sling Vs Sling shot
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2006 at 10:17am

Hi and welcome,
I would say that the sling would easilly beat the sling shot in distance and power. But with accuracy a beginer could pick up a sling shot in the morning and by the afternoon he would be able to hit his/her mark or close. With a sling it takes a (long)while for the hand eye cordination to be able to hit accuracy wise.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2006 at 11:50am

funny that you relate slings and slingshots, as i once met a slinger that used to use a sling made from the long rubbers of a slingshot.  he said that it worked fairly well, but because of the stretching of the rubbers the sling would be a bit unpredictable.

to answer you question: the sling will most likely double the distance of a slingshot by the end of the first day's practice(using some sort of underhand throw is the best for distance in my experiance), but the accuracy will not be nearly as high as it is with the slingshot.  another nice thing about the sling is that you can use almost any size ammo, as long as you have the right size pocket.  the slingshot has a limit for the size of the ammo used.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2006 at 1:09pm

yeah i feel a sling beats a slingshot in distance and the power that you can put behind your projectile..never the less a slingshot is easyer to learn Tongue its the challenge that makes the sling more fun imo..

Taiki  
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:15pm

Might as well get my opinion in here...
Slingshot (hand catapult, if you're British) is easier to use accurately.  I've been slinging for a year and a half, about, and I am not at all what I would call accurate.  I am elated if I hit the tree or stump I aimed at.  Any hit at all, never mind hitting a particular spot on the tree.

On the other hand, the world distance records for a sling, are slightly over one-quarter mile (1434 feet and 2 inches, or 437.134 metres [Bray, 1982, stone]; 1565 feet and 4 inches, or 477.114 metres [Engvall, 1992, metal dart]).  I have no idea what the maximum range of a slingshot is, Google found no records.  Anybody know how far a slingshot can throw a ball bearing?

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:17pm

maybe forty feet would be my guess.  really depends on the slingshot.  if you are using a real slingshot, with tire innertube rubbers, or industrial strength rubbers like they sell commercially, you can get far more distance than a small child's version that i had several years ago, with relatively weak rubbers.

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:40pm

Forty feet? I could throw the whole slingshot further than that! Roll Eyes

A couple hundred meters seems to be the usually quoted range for a typical "modern" slingshot, but I have  no problem believing some of the claims in the neighbourhood of 300m for those designs that extend the draw. Similar to our slings, shooting specalised lead ammo helps significantly. One of the reasons your average slingshot will be limited is the size of projectile that they are designed for. Lighter shot slows down more due to drag. I've never seen a slingshot that can put spin on the ammo, so you miss out on those benefits.

A slingshot is similar to a bow in the way it stores energy, and the total power should be about the same, limited by draw length and arm strength. I would expect bows to be more efficient at returning the energy during the shot, but at the same time, an arrow should have more drag than an on-axis glande.

I've only used tubular rubber slingshots, but there is no way that they can put the same amount of power on target as a sling (provided you can hit what you are aiming for)

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:34am

As far as the energy that kills you, kinetic energy. This depends on the mass of the projectile as well as the speed. So, say a sling and a slingshot both fire 300m. The sling, which shoots much heavier ammo is far more lethal.

The best bands for slingshots, I find, are surgical rubber tubing at the hardware store.

IP Logged

harryman

love to sling and used
to play paintball

Georgia
Reply #8 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:38pm

I personally shoot both slingshot and sling. and the sling "murders" the sling shot in distance and power. My father used to shoot in competitions with slingshots, and i still have his slingshot, and shooting large ball barings, i can usually only hit things at about 30-40 meters and that is pushing it. and ive been shooting a slingshot since i was little.

to answer the question, i would answer that they are two different types of weapons. one uses elastic bands, and the other takes the(correct me if i am wrong) kenetic energy of your arm spining, multiplied by the length of the sling. but when comparing both i would say the sling is still better, maintaenance wise too, you have to make sure the bands on a sling shot are not "dry" or they'll snap your face off!

Ja bin ich deutsch und ich schleudere gern. Ich mag paintball auch.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:48pm

I've used both slings and slingshots, and I constantly have to teach people about the difference, but anyway...In terms of distance and impact force imparted, the sling almost certainly the undisputed champ. With a slingshot, you have more control over the shot and its subsequent placement and can more closely approach the optimal 45 degree angle for a distance shot, but the type of ammo you can use is very small, and the small ammo does not have the momentum that a large, heavy sling stone does and hence is more affected by air resistance. I've never heard of anyone being able to shoot a slingshot over a quarter mile before, while I have heard of at least two people accomplishing sed distance with a sling, which for me, settles the matter. I own a slingshot, and I am okay with it, having only used it a few times (rubber tubing broke and snapped on me, almost hit myself in the face while pulling back for the shot) but I own five slings, and I use them every chance I can get. If it came to small game hunting I would go for a slingshot instead of a sling ("Hey, wanna see if I can hit the squirrel up there with a sling?" *WHOOSH-THWACK EEEEEEEK* "What squirrel?") But any other time, just give me a sling, give me a rock, and give me some room.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - May 21st, 2006 at 7:17pm

"just give me a sling, give me a rock, and give me some room"

well said mammothunter

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - May 21st, 2006 at 8:19pm

MammotHunter,

Do you hunt mammots or is it just a way to make Mammoth Hunter shorter?  Tongue

IP Logged

LKH9
Funditor

Malaysia
Reply #12 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:33pm

Smiley A well-made slingshot should throw a projectile very far away(it varies, about more than 100 metres), but the effective range is quite short, maybe 30 metres. Smiley

Roll Eyes My slingshot can reach somewhere between 60-70 metres(with a marble equiped with tapered flat latex band), I guess. Roll Eyes

But, I can't sling that far(not even 15 metres), because I don't even have space and place to practise.  Tongue
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006 at 9:14pm by LKH9 »  

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:15pm

Quote:
MammotHunter,

Do you hunt mammots or is it just a way to make Mammoth Hunter shorter?  Tongue

I wanted to have MammothHunter as my name, but since the username could only be of a certain length, I thought, well, mammoth in french is mammut so I could do mammot-Hunter, and since I loved atlatls predominantly at the time, more so than slings, which has changed, it was a way of showing my allegiance to the atlatl, which was used to hunt mammoths and other large mammals. I used to have 3 atlatls and 9 darts, but since I joined slinging.org I got rid of 2 of the atlatls and 8 of the darts, and now I have 5 slings and several dozen pieces of self-manufactured and collected sling ammunition, and that's just in my truck glove compartment! I'm a full convert to slinging, now! Don't think you could hunt mammots with the sling, but I would be among the first to try! Grin

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Joseph Curwen

Wild sling, you make my
heart sing...

France
Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2006 at 7:31pm

using a good slingshot, you can easily shoot a 10 grams lead ball  to more than 200 m. But where is the interest? even in calm open water, it is impossible to see where it falls.

A sling is by far more powerfull. I think i shoot river bed rock at about 200 m too, but they are about 100 grams, ten times the lead shot!

At the other side, with my slingshot, i can hit a soda can at 10 m maye 8 of 10 and giving that range, with a steel ball bearing, it is a pass through. Not an hi-tech slingshot, just a tree fork, but with good tapered flat bands (faster than commercial latex tubing).

This morning, as i was out with my dog, i shot dead a pigeon at about 15 m, with a marble. Really efficient against this city pest.

i love both my sling and my slingshot, and i carry them most of the time. And be sure that as soon i have enough room, i use my sling.

happy slinging

Joseph

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)