At Willekes Request! (Read 814 times)
Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

At Willekes Request!
May 20th, 2006 at 5:44am

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0002.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/adam550spyder/DSCF0004.jpg

Here is the first sling pouch I made with the leather you kindly sent me Wink. It fits tennis balls quite well, and this hard rubber ball which I use for safe practice in parks. The cords are super thin to give minimum air resistance. Hope you like the knotwork Willeke, although I am sure its not up to your standards.

Coops

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: At Willekes Request!
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2006 at 8:13am

that is a nice sling.

i really like the retention loop and the toggle.  what kind of string is that?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Coops
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2006 at 9:19am

Thanks Siguy. It is the first time I have made a sling big enough for tennis balls. Normally I stick to stones, but in recent months slinging stones has proved a little dangerous.
The cord is some I bought from a yacht chandlers which just happens to be around the corner. It is some form of synthetic braid about 2mm in diameter with no core, and very little stretch. The rubber ball does not get the distance of stones, but it is much safer, especially for teaching beginners!
Coops

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:43pm

Coops,
Is your retention knot a monkey's fist, or a turks-head?  Nice work!  Did you see that helical series of half-hitch knots, here on the forum, or did you think that up yourself?  I like doing that if I have leftover cord, I learned the trick from FunSlinger.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2006 at 3:19pm

Quote:
Thanks Siguy. It is the first time I have made a sling big enough for tennis balls. Normally I stick to stones, but in recent months slinging stones has proved a little dangerous.
The cord is some I bought from a yacht chandlers which just happens to be around the corner. It is some form of synthetic braid about 2mm in diameter with no core, and very little stretch. The rubber ball does not get the distance of stones, but it is much safer, especially for teaching beginners!
Coops

Excellent work, Coops! And thank you for the technical information.
Since I started reading Slinging.org I've found that everytime I go to the hardware store I look through the cordage section for anything that may prove useful. Next time I will look for some of this 2mm stuff or something similar. Although your knotwork may not be up to Willeke's standards, it looks great to me!              .......Dan

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2006 at 3:20pm

Sorry for the delay, but I have been out of touch a bit.
I love your sling.
I hope it works as good as it looks.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)