Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trebuchet glan (Read 1250 times)
slinger
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

trebuchet glan
May 19th, 2006 at 8:59pm

i was thinking, you guys have been talking about glans alot lately .  I wonder what would happen if you made one for a Trebuchet or onager

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: trebuchet glan
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006 at 9:58pm

from lead?  that would be alot of lead.

trebucket ammo is usually large rocks, if i am correct, so it is already like oversized sling ammo, as a trebucket is really an oversized version of the sling.

but making specialized ammo is more advanced.  i can hardly imagine where you would be able to find something like 10 pounds of lead.  that's alot of lead.  or alot of fishing sinkers.

wow.  how about clay?  that's alot of clay too.  and a really big kiln to fire it in, though a fire pit could work. 

what about those dough glandes a few of us were playing with a while ago?  you would need a pretty big oven.  not to mention tons of flour(not quite literally)

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

solobo

Reno, NV, USA
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:32pm

depending on your trebuchet and tools, you might be able to chip some rocks with a sledge hammer into rough glandes.  i doubt it'd be much use though... getting them to spin like a football (the main benefit of glandes, i believe) would be next to impossible...

solobo88  
IP Logged

slinger
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:47pm

do have recipe for dough, i got a computer program with recipes but all the ones i try come out sticky.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #4 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:24am

Glans is singular, glandes is plural.  Weird, but that is Latin for you.  In any case, making glandes for a trebuchet would be a waste of time, in my un-humble opinion.  Glandes are intended to be slung so that they spin like a rifle bullet.  Every trebuchet I have seen, would impart a backspin to the load.  The specialized shape of the glans were therefore wasted.  I do not know if an onager would put any spin at all on its load, so again, no advantage.

The "dough" of which Siguy wrote, is just a mix of flour, water, and salt.  A recipe was posted by a member by name of Jareth, in
this topic
.  I made an "Indian war club" out of this stuff and a piece of a broom handle, when I was a kid.  I eventually threw the club out, about eight years later.  It was still in good shape.  However, I lived in a dry climate; I think I remember someone here saying that in moister climes, the stuff tended to start molding after a year or three.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2006 at 6:34am

It is probably not that difficult to get large quantities of lead. I have here about 5kg of lead sheet which was used for sealing roofs. Try look for places where they work with metal or where you can buy metal.

Independed of the projectile form the trebuchet surely can profit from it being lead. (Smaller => less air drag)

Zwiebeltuete

PS: You could ask at shooting sites. All the lead of the used bullets surely has to go somewhere.

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - May 20th, 2006 at 8:12am

slinger, if the dough comes out sticky, add less water.

i had the same problem too.

helpful hint: if you are using teflon baking sheets, or any other kind of baking sheet, you should grease the surface first.  i peeled some of the teflon off the pan with my first batch, and if you don't grease a normal sheet, you may have trouble getting them off.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Reply #7 - May 20th, 2006 at 5:48pm

a comment on the dough recipe, it can also be used without an oven.

I traded for a batch of flour glandes out of an oven with Altay and though they were really good for slinging, I made the same thing if not even harder by letting them air dry with a short time in the microwave first(scary story... http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11430986... )

Works great and i would imagine that you would be able to make quite a large one used for a trebuchet(depending on size).
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2006 at 9:20pm by fi3l2 »  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #8 - May 20th, 2006 at 6:24pm

I haven't made these, but have made my share of bread and ship biscuit. Probably all that is needed is more kneading - when you knead flour based doughs, the gluten in the wheat starts to work to make the dough smooth and elastic rather than slitcky and lumpy. A mixing machine with a dough hook makes short work od this, but doing it by hand is easy and good exercise. Basically you want to drop the whole sticky ball of dough  onto a floured surface and then fold and press the dough until it smoothes out.

Flour recipe glandes made this way should be stronger as well.

Matthias

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)