Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rapid Fire Myth or technique (Read 3546 times)
Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Rapid Fire Myth or technique
May 19th, 2006 at 6:50am

Rapid Fire....

I ran across this while doing research to support my arguement for standard safety pracitices while slnging.

"The clumsiest part of using a shepherd's sling is to regain control of the released knot-end. Conventionally, the loop is placed around the strong hand's thumb, or held by the two weakest fingers of the strong hand. Several stones are held in the weak hand. After the release, an expert will continue the motion. The pocket will catch around a stone held out with the weak hand, so that the knot end swings back to the strong hand retaining the loop. Just after the knot begins to swing, slightly before the knot reaches the strong hand, one drops or throws the stone toward the ground with the weak hand, starting into the next release. Some persons braid the knot around a weight to help perform this maneuver."

Here is the URl
http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/sling

Has anyone else tried this?

This technique appears to be possable if the slinger were moving in slowmotion. However I sling way to quickly for me to catch the sling on anything but itself.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Re: Rapid Fire Myth or technique
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2006 at 7:14am

Ok NM

I just did a search and saw tint preform the rapid fire technique

Edit: Here's the link
http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11158751...

Unsapien
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2006 at 8:28pm by Unsapien »  
AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

anaconda

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006 at 8:40am

link to tint:s performance..??

Wow. I thougth that rapid-fire was just a myth from "clan of the cave bear" (by. Jean M Untinen-Auel)

Now I think that faster reloading COULD be possible..

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2006 at 9:16am

This was done by.... by... someone, maybe TS? There are videos of it. If you care to look, it was my first post..... so it would take a lonnngggg time to scroll to the bottom of the list, good luck!

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - May 19th, 2006 at 9:19am

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2006 at 11:01am

I wish I could pull that off!  Tint is the man when it comes to turning water to stone.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2006 at 11:24am

Yes he is Shocked after watching that overhand again i Finally figured out figure8 Shocked

off to the grounds for me Shocked...after i get some sleep Undecided

Taiki  
IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:15pm

And lest everyone forget, it was I who did the first rapid fire demonstration here with FULL-POWER killing shots with a short magnum sling (SIX rapid-fire shots in a row, count 'em SIX!).  Not pretty, but VERY effective and practical!  Tint's is great, but ask him where he got the inspiration from. Wink

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2006 at 3:17pm

Crudola!  I missed that.....any video posted?

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2006 at 5:37pm

Here is a
link to MagnumSlinger's post
, wherein he linked to videos of himself rapidly putting a hedge out of its misery...

OK, OK, I don't KNOW he was slinging at a hedge, but there was some greenery in the background.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2006 at 5:54pm

I would think that the martial arts oriented cultures in Korea and Hong Kong would be burning with adulation of the sling by now, with Tint and MS cracking our whip in those regions!

TS

8)

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #11 - May 21st, 2006 at 1:32am

Magnumslinger is the man!

I taught myself to rapid fire after seeing his video.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #12 - May 21st, 2006 at 1:57am

IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #13 - May 22nd, 2006 at 11:53am

Dear Tint,

Thanks!  And you did the best job of minimizing the process of firing and gracefully reloading to fit the description in question, better than anyone else has, including me.  You have drawn the well-deserved praise for doing so, I must add!  I think you know the relative value of each approach better than anyone else here, for that reason.  It just sort of galls me sometimes when newbies come on and dis my method, just because it doesn't look very pretty, without presumably ever having tried it themselves.  As you would probably agree, it's not NEARLY as easy to pull off as it may look to a casual observer.

My original "rabid dog-fighting" (anyone who has ever had to deal with a REAL rabid cur in the field will appreciate the applicability of this method to such a situation!) method is intended to do maximum damage to a target, or targets during an emergency, using full power for each shot under adrenalised conditions,with extra speed and rapid throwing high-capacity as the bonus (6-plus stones as fast as you can unload them, USUALLY BETWEEN ABOUT 1.5-TO-3 seconds per shot).  (I think lobohunter does something similar to my method, but with a longer sling!)

You have invented a variety of refined techniques which give very nice, graceful economy, reasonable power, and very high cyclic speed using an undetermined number of rounds.  It is much more pleasant to the eye than any other method I've seen, and is easily appreciated. I think that the title "The Bruce Lee of Slinging", suggested by one of our astute members a few months ago  is well-suited to you for many reasons.  8)

Perhaps WE are the MEN, eh, when it comes to speed slinging in East Asia?  I KNOW that you are, Tint!  As Techstuff has suggested, perhaps it is our duty to spread the word and skills in this part of the world about slinging. Grin

Once again, I am reminded of all of the great slingers here who have been a part of all of this stuff from way back!  We have a great team of internet slingers spreading the sport/art, and it's growing all the time.  BTW, Tint, I will email you IF/when my 120 lb. bow finally arrives, and describe it in detail. I have already paid for it, and the 160 lb. one is still being made. Ditto, on that!  I am honored to have you as a friend, and hope to meet and sling together in person, someday.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2006 at 8:24pm by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like

Davis, Ca
Reply #14 - May 24th, 2006 at 5:04pm

Quote:

...It just sort of galls me sometimes when newbie’s come on and dis my method, just because it doesn't look very pretty, without presumably ever having tried it themselves.  As you would probably agree, it's not NEARLY as easy to pull off as it may look to a casual observer..

Magnumslinger, did I offend your slinging style?

I hope I didn't offend you slinging senses somehow, and that I am not considered a "newbie". I don't remember posting anything in that order. Maybe I simply think too much of myself and think you are talking about me. Roll Eyes

I must admit how jealous I am a Tint's seemingly effortless rapid fire technique. I am working of mastering the figure 8 rapid fire technique.

My next goal is to challenge my friend's ability to shoot his bow rapidly. I'm looking to accurately plant 3 stones just as fast as he can launch his arrows. Accuracy is extremely important.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)