Send Topic Print
leggings (Read 5135 times)
Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
leggings
May 18th, 2006 at 9:01pm

Im going to a mountan man rendezvous in january its going to be fun throwing hawks with the experts theres even a tomahawk trail to walk! Only problem is i need period costume to enter...The shirt i can make no problem but i need help with the pants. I have some leather and was thinking of makeing some leggings or something. If you can think of an alternitive ill make a leather jacket out of it.

thanks Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Re: leggings
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:03pm

sounds like fun! Get photos if you can, where is it?
I don't suppose that was very helpful, sorry....  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Foothills of the Appalachians
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:11pm

what size waist?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:26pm

what size waiste well lets see...45 inches..Im a big boy Smiley

i live in a maze of typo's&&&& popularity is for dolls a hero cannot be popular-Ralph Waldo Emerson&&&&DTB-master of the corny vest, and crappy carpet!
randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:29pm

Sorry, nothing that size.  Embarrassed  I'll have a look around though.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:50pm

Im looking for a pattern if you have one Smiley

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

Roy

That was'nt a duck...
 that was a rock.

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:53pm

I'll see what I can come up with.

IP Logged

Mike
Descens

I am really Brainkrieg

???
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2006 at 7:17am

...how are leggings a primitive weapon?

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #8 - May 19th, 2006 at 8:35am

ever get drop kicked by an indean? yeah you dont live to tell about it

Grin

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2006 at 9:38am

You don't need leather for leggings. In fact if this is in winter, you don't want them. they will freeze and be cold.Trust me. I know.
  I would use a heavy wool. What the mountain men used to use were Hudson's bay blankets, or their equal. Making them is really no problem.
   Measure up to your inseam. This will be the "tube" of your leggings. From there, you need to make various  loops that will allow the leggings to hang from a belt. I usually also wear sashes at the knees, for further security of the leggings.
  If you want the fringes, just add one inch to where the seam will be. ( The seam will be on the outside of the leggings) Then sew up , leaving the excess. Cut them into fringes. I would also recommend that you blanket stitch any cut area of the leggings, to keep the wool from unraveling.
   When I klondike camp with my Boy Scou Troop, ( yes we tent camp in the winter) I wear my leggings, buckskins, and capote, and badger hat. let me tell you, I am warm!

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Douglas_The_Black
Interfector Viris Spurii

Hakkaa päälle!

Salineville Ohio
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2006 at 10:38pm

haha thanks badger Smiley This is in the summer and im hopeing not to be too hot! I figure some baggy leather leggings and a  tan linnen shirt with my leather wide brimed hat will do me ok.

randelflagg22002  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - May 21st, 2006 at 10:43am

Same basic procedure for the leather as with the wool blankets. If you are going " Proper", as in no pants under the leggings, you will need a breechclout, for obvious reasons. Shocked
   That is the way to keep the coolest while wearing them , but it's up to you.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #12 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:02pm

Breechclout and leggings is they way to go if you want to be period and comfortable. I wear them at powwows all the time, and they can't be beat for comfort.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2006 at 9:42am

I've seen some people use heavy cotton for leggings and breechclout too. Not really sure if that is exactly period, but they do look comfy.

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2006 at 6:34pm

To be period correct it really should be wool. Any old woolen blanket will do so you don't have to cut up an expensive Hudson Bay or Witney blanket. Just try to keep it to certain period colors. Navy blue was probably the most common but red was also worn, usually by chiefs. Hope that helps.                  

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)