Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: 3 strand braid, how do I avoid twist? (Read 1363 times)
Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: 3 strand braid, how do I avoid twist?
May 18th, 2006 at 3:45pm

braid very tightly and after a few uses it should stretch a bit and straighten out.. wel thats what i heard at least Tongue

Taiki  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006 at 4:04pm

What are you using for string? Sometimes (often...) the cords will be unbalanced going in, which will tend to show up as bias in the finished braid. The good news is that braids are one of the better ways to take care of this - the crossings of the cords in different directions balance each other out.

Make sure that when you are braiding you aren't putting more tension on one side or another. Quite often the problem is that you left hand isn't as strong, so you end up pulling a little harder. Aim for consistency (I get the best results though when I don't think too hard) and give the completed braid a tug every now and then as you work.

Three strand braids usually work themselves flat pretty well. The round braids on the other hand almost always spiral for me unless I pay attention.

Matthias

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2006 at 7:13am

Ok I was trying to take this subject off the list, but I think i just ended removing my entires.

Shrug

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #3 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:26pm

Why remove it? Oh well, but info like this is goof to keep around for the next time someone has the same question!

Matthias

IP Logged

Pikoro
Tiro

C'est la vie

Tennessee
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2006 at 11:32am

Recently I started doing my braids a lot tighter. So tight that I usually get blisters on my fingers and my hands hurt.Shocked Does that sound like over kill? But I have noticed that the quality of my slings have increased remarkablely. They are a lot tighter, obviously, and straighter too. You know what they say, "no pain no gain."

Also, I recently figured out how to braid the pocket so that both sides of it stay open. Bollinger's article shows how to braid the pocket so that one side stays open, but not the other. It took me a while how to reproduce the same open effect on the other side which was harder to do than I thought it would be. But it was worth it beacuse it makes it a lot easier to load my ammo.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2006 at 1:52pm

Also, try braiding using a flat surface to work it on or keep the strings and the braid tight as you're working it, and it should keep twisting to a minimum. I took a flat piece of wood, hammered a nail into it at a shallow angle and made a braiding jig. So, when I make a sling, I make the finger loop, and slip that over the angled nail, hold it down with my feet pull the strings towards me, which keeps them under tension and makes a flat braid. If you imagine that the *** is the board, and the \ is the nail, the whole thing looks sort of like this. The nail points away from me to anchor the string and keep it from moving towards me.
        \                                           (me---->)
              (about 18" long/46 cm)

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:52pm

that is a pretty good idea.  i was going to try doing something like that before i had my desk put in.  now i have  a hook attached to a suction cup which i can stick to my desk and use instead of a board like that.  the nice thing about this is that i have a seat to sit in.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Ęthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2006 at 11:37am

I safety pin my string to another surface, like my bed.
If its thicker string, I use a kilt pin.
You can pull it as tight as you like without curling it or twisting it.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Ęthelbera  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy)