Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How does he do it? (Read 1596 times)
Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

How does he do it?
May 18th, 2006 at 10:12am

I was wondering how does Benjamin Scott do his black and white sling. In case you're wondering where i've seen the pic it's in the members gallery. So how does he do it? any one know?

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: How does he do it?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006 at 1:27pm

Ben's (whipartist) sling attracts the most attention of any we have posted in the gallery. A work of art...

He posted a despription of his construction in an old thread that you should be able to find by searching - it periodically comes to the top.

Basically, the cords are 16 strand braids - you can find instructions for some of these patterns online, but the best references are the books listed in our resources section. The braids take a long time, and it is helpful for most people to use a braiding aid like a maru dai or willekes cardboard disks, but with patience anyone can learn to do it.

The cradle he has used is based on the knotting technique used for "friendship bracelets". Lots of online info. As far as I know, this method wasn't used by the big sling making cultures, instead relying on woven or braided pockets, but Ben's pocket truned out great. The knotted pouch should be a little easier to make than a woven one, and the opportunity for patterns is greater.

If you look at [/url], or in some of the old threads, there are some bigger pictures showing the construction a little better. Also, Barak's (justbarak) slings and posts should be of interest to anyone contemplating making a sling like this.

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2006 at 2:23pm

The pocket alone says alot....

Smiley

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:08pm

First of all:  Cry Because i am never going to be able to complete such a master piece. He said it took him just over 20 hours to make!!
Secondly: thanks matthias for the info Wink
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2006 at 3:30am by Arkanii »  
BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:33pm

That truely is beauty...

I'm making a sling at the moment as a birthday present, and that makes my eyes dazzle.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2006 at 9:18am

Today I found out how much I suck at braiding. After matthias told me that whipartist uses a frendship bracelet method for the cradle I wanted to see if I could do it. So I found this site:
http://www.mediamessage.com/kayton/GirlScouts/bracelet3.htm
and off I went. After an hour and a half all i had acomplished was a bunch of knots Cry. At times like these I wish I had a little sister.
Mabye the string I use is too thick?

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:24pm

Both knotting and braiding are one of those things that you have to "get the hang of" before things settle down.  Once you get over the hump in the learning curve, you'll find that more and more complicated designs etc just need more patience and attention to detail, ot necessarily any new skills.

For friendship bracelets, I'd start with 6 or 8 strands, and just work the knots one direction. If you are using colours, you'll end up with diagonal stripes. The "trick" to  getting the smooth surface and nice patterns is that you want the tail of the yarn you are working with to end up pointing the direction you are going - so if you are starting with the leftmost yarn, it needs to go _over_ the  next one, then under and back through the loop - remember to do this twice for most patterns:

Oh, and make sure to secure the other end of the yarn bundle to something. Use a safety pin and fix it to your pant leg, or use a hook at desk level. I normally tie it around my big toe for simple braids. I saw somewhere that using a nail or hook in a short piece of board made it easier to keep track of the strands, and you can put pins or notches (like Willeke's cardboard maru dai) to keep everything even more tidy.

I'm thinking about starting a "Ben Scott" replica, and if I do, I'll fully document the process. It will be a pretty daunting set of instructions though. The best way to understand the more complicated slings is to practice little sections and work your way forward until you understand what is going on just by looking at the pictures. Trying to follow step-by-step is too much for a sling like this - the 20-30 hours that Barak and Ben talk about is for two guys who already know how to make these!

I've never done any friendship bracelet type knotting with anything other than simple stripes, so I started a little sample last night to get the hang of it. The pattern is really easy once you get going. The first couple of rows are tricky until things settle down. I made a simple split (and quit with the pattern) and then tried bringing the two side back together using Ben's hinge/pad technique.

Stick with it! I think the best first step would be to do the diagonal stripe bracelet for a few inches, then see if you can figure out one of the "V" patterns (they don't twist). Once you can do that one without too many mistakes, try to split and rejoin the sides a couple of times (do this from the "V" style, it makes more sense). My next step would be to but a FB pocket on simple braided cords, maybe 4x4 strands round, or 8x2.

Doing the fancy Andes-style braids is another problem! "250 Braids" is pretty good if your library has a copy.

Imagine the end result though. A sling to be proud of!

Matthias

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:31pm

Tint has made some great slings along these lines, but without the colour patterns. Maybe he has some hints (hint hint) Cheesy

IP Logged

Arkanii
Descens

Get back, I can sling!

Reply #8 - May 19th, 2006 at 2:33pm

Thanks again, I hope you're attempt to replicate Ben's slings work out good. What string do you use? Nylon?

Tint spill the beans!!

For now i'll just dream of going slinging with on of those slings untill I can make my own.

BlackSnow28  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark)