Spam Problems (Read 3426 times)
Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Spam Problems
May 17th, 2006 at 7:16pm

As any person who visits the site regularly would know, WE HAVE A SPAM PROBLEM. Know this is not much most of us can do about them. Even us moderators can't stop them, just delete them. I would suggest not to even post to the topics that are spam. I know that some of you are eager to get posts under your belt, but you lose those posts after us moderators delete the topic.

I am not sure if the posts can get your email address from the members list but it might be a good idea to use good judgement if you want to show everyone your email address.

For you people that are not members and post some, i would suggest to you to get a membership. I would imagine that here real soon you will have to be a member to post.

"A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" Old Nordic Proverb

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Spam Problems
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2006 at 8:29pm

Agreed. I'll take abother look at what tools we have at our disposal, but for the time being at least, we're going to continue to rely on the mods to catch and delete posts. Not too much sense in posting in a spam thread, as it is unlikely to last more than an hour or two...

It's too bad, but Gun is right about membership. The load on the administrators goes up, and it slows down growth, but vetting each new applicant might shut most of this stuff down.

Matthias

(copied from a recent thread)

siguy

...wow.....

how many things do you think this spammer can post withought wearing themselves out?

i mean really, how long can this last?

perhaps we can PLEASE block this person's IP, because i get the feeling that it is the same person that keeps posting all of the others.      

CanDo

http://www.hostedscripts.com/scripts/antispam.html      

Matthias

I suspect that you are right, although this one was posted using a proxy server - it is getting increasingly hard to block this type of stuff. I'll look into additional domain blocking, but I suspect that we've made it onto some master list of forums with open posting priveleges. This isn't a mass emailing, so unless someone has worked a Yabb-specific spambot (you shouldn't even say such things out loud) it's some guy typing it in every time. 

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2006 at 8:44pm

I don't know.... why can't they even put a tiny bit of effort into spelling or something... .they look automated. That link is going into my signature, so if they are bots scanning sites for email lists, it will get gunked up.

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2006 at 8:51pm

Oooh, I like that idea!

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2006 at 11:12pm

I wish the spam could stop. The sad think is, is that to proably get rid of the spammers the sight would have to shell out some money. Right now I am deleting about 2 to 3 topics a night. I am usally on from 6:30 to 8:00. I would hate to know all the other moderator are deleting.

IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2006 at 11:14pm

just so everyone knows i am taking my email address off of my profile tonight just to be on the safe side. If you need to get a hold of me instant message me on the sight or ask one of the other moderators they have my email address.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2006 at 11:03am

There seems to be a bit of a 'spam explosion' coming out of the UK as of late.  Several boards I've seen are being peppered with spam soliciting summer travel to the UK among sundry other things.  Rumor has it that we won't have to be bothered with this particular group much longer.....

But hey, that's just a rumor.  It's not based upon Solid Fact or anything.

8)

TS
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2006 at 12:47pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:14pm

We can disable guest posting, which would eliminate some of the spam.  These scripts aren't always smart enough to figure out how to register an account.  Users would require an account, but there wouldn't be a vetting process.

If it gets worse, we can consider this move...
Chris

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:57pm

Well, I have to say, the moderators and Chris are doing a great job! I have only seen three spam posts until now, and that means the moderators are working hard! They deserve a big thank for their work! Smiley

By the way, to help (if it is helping...I dunno...? Feels good to think it is helping at least...) I have put the link in my signature and hidden my e-mail adress.

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #9 - May 18th, 2006 at 5:27pm

If/when we do get rid of guest posting and make it needed to be a member, I suggest having a thing where a valid email address is sent in, and the site sends a link back to the email which opens the account. This could stop the automated registering. But then, a lot of people would be turned away. Some people probably wouldn't want to take the time to register. But then, if they are that impatient, then they probably won't be a big poster...  Undecided

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Gun
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Slinging  Viking

The Ozarks of Ark & Mo
Reply #10 - May 18th, 2006 at 6:50pm

Chaotic Rage that would proably stop most of the spam. It would at least take the spammers more time to make there money. It is a good idea and a lot of other sites use it. I think that we should adoubt this the next time the site has a big update

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:14pm

the problem with the e-mail register key is that sometimes e-mails will not be working, or the email will be put in the junk/spam folder automatically, and deleted by most people that simply scan down the list quickly and delete them all.  also, the system is not foolproof.  i am still waiting for a register key that i signed up for nearly a month ago, but i can not check my junk folder because i can't figure out how to get to it.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:27pm

Well, Wikipedia recently did that.... How'd it turn out for them?

I'm just worried that we'd lose those guests who occasionally stroll by to drop off some excellent knowledge that gives insight, or settles a dispute. If they had to sign up, many may not bother...  Undecided

Siguy, what type of email do you use? I may be able to help.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #13 - May 19th, 2006 at 6:10pm

to tell you the truth, i don't know what kind of e-mail that i use.  my dad set up all of the accounts for my family, and i don't even know what site they are based on.

if i was really woried about it, i can just ask my dad what to do.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Chaotic Rage

Vous etes saoul!

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2006 at 5:43pm

I have not seen a spam thread in a few days now. Either the spammers have stopped, or our mods are doing a good job. Keep it up!

&&
Roychipoqua  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man)