Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
another word about safety (Read 2818 times)
Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: another word about safety
Reply #15 - May 24th, 2006 at 2:27am

Quote:
I am living in one of the countries where bikes are used most often, and only racers and offroad cyclists use helmets. They try to get children to use a helmet, but even they don't.
But then, I do not know of someone having had a head wound in an accident. And everybody I know rides a bicycle.

I am afraid that helmets when slinging will suffer the same neglect.

Willeke

Willeke,                                                                                 
         Yes, I seem to recall reading that bicycles are extremely popular
in the Netherlands. Have you actually seen up to date accident statistics? Over the past few years, here in New England many abandoned railroad grades have been converted into bicycle paths, some of them going for many miles. Do you have similar paths? ( Which are safer than riding on the streets with all of the automobiles.)
         Bicycle helmets are common around here but were almost unknown when I was a stupid kid. When I was 11 years old I broke my arm while riding a bicycle. Of course, I was performing foolhardy stunts and lost control of the bicycle. ( Imbecile! ) Actually, I had no control over how I was catapulted over the handlbars and could just as easily have broken my NECK. My brother was right behind me and to this day I don't know how he avoided crashing into me as he was going just as fast as I was. I am lucky to be alive.                           
         Maybe people in the Netherlands are just more careful?         
                                                                                  .......Dan                        

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #16 - May 24th, 2006 at 3:20am

Maybe it is because most of our kids learn to ride the bicycle before they are 5, they do a lot of stupid things while playing near the house, when they are to young to do them in dangerous places.

We do have separate bike-lanes at the side of many buzy streets and country road, but on the other hand, cars may pass you so near that the wing mirror hits your handlebars. (Mostly it is a miss because of a difference in hight rather than in width.)

The age-groups that are most likely to have accidents on bikes are the eldery and the 12 to 16 year olds who use their bikes to go to school.
The kids have mostly a 10 to 20 minutes ride both ways.
The danger their is kids riding 3 next to each other, forgetting there are also cars on the road. And kids crossing when the gap between cars is not big enough.
In those cases a helmet might help, but most harm is broken bones and occasionally a hit by a truck where nothing would have helped.

The eldery (65 to 90-something) are more likely to go at a low speed and forget to look over their shoulder when they change direction.

But on the whole the number of accidents is low, (if I may believe the people interpretating the statistics,) and most of the accidents are of the 'a good scare' kind.

We do not have many railroad turned into bike-paths. Most are still in use by the train Wink
My parents have used several of them a few years ago on a biketrip to Paris, France. And found them boring.
(They are now on biking holiday in France, using the smaller roads of the Normandy and Brittany coast, at 71 and 72.)

But safety is important, and while I do not believe in using a helmet on the bike here in the Netherlands on normal roads, I do believe in using one when racing and going up and down hill.
And when slinging I often use little balls that can not do harm, even a direct hit at full speed will not cause more than a black and blue spot, if that. (I have tested on myself.)
Slinging stones can be much more dangerous, so keep to the same safety rules as the bow and arrow competition people, when there are people in the danger zone no stones in the air.
The slinger needs to protect himself as needed.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #17 - May 26th, 2006 at 2:40pm

I have some very important things to comment on in light of recent events. Unfortunately I do not have everything I want to say completed. I will quickly say this though

I have come to the conclusion that safty rules are a necessity to protect life, property, and the continuation of this sport.

Safety is a very serious issue, and must be approached as such. Some valuable property of mine was damaged recently under some unlikely circumstances. I am concolidated by the fact that no one was hurt by the incident, but I would have preferred that the circumstances that made it possable for this to happen never materialized.
There needs to be some rules. Reasonable, and proven.

On another note, I live in Davis California. There is a 4.5  bicycle to person ratio in this University town, and some very terrible accidents happen fairly often with all these people, and students. The other day my girlfriend was telling me of a girl she helped literally pick up her own teeth.

I don't mean to sound the alarmest, but the more I think about it the more convinced I become, that safety truely should be "First".

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

magnumslinger
Descens

I don't sling a thing
if I ain't got my sling!

United Arab Emirates
Reply #18 - May 26th, 2006 at 8:25pm

Great points, as always, Unsapien!  I have to totally agree!  The most important things I can think of are the selection of a safe, isolated location where the area has been checked out, using proper technique progression, and management/orientation of the danger zone.

If you are always aware of your background so that the rock can't fly beyond the safe zone, and nobody can run onto "the green"/impact zone in time to catch a rock in the head, that's a good start.  Either a wide, open space for 360 degrees, or wall-like barrier that can stop rocks on three sides like a batting cage is ideal.

Warming up with a single overhand stroke, then progressing to underhand, to semi-helicopter with any other slingers/observers on your non-throwing side is a good way to manage the danger zone, and minimize the chances of a lost rock will hit anyone or anything with any power.

Safety devices such as clothing, eye protection, etc., and the use of soft projectiles in crowded locations are further ways to enhance safety, of course.  As the sport spreads, we will need to promote safety more and more, just as the NRA promotes hunter safety.

I had a martial arts instructor who was reputed to have been yanked in front of a congressional committee of some sort, and had to tell off Ted Kennedy, a man with serious "control issues" who was trying to have his martial art and/or his equipment outlawed!  Sad
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2006 at 1:00pm by magnumslinger »  

Slinging.org people are progressive preservers of pre-historic protective, pantry-packing, and post-paleolithic parabellum practices...and they're also generally REALLY COOL!  Their bootlaces are their arsenal, and the world is their ammo dump!

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #19 - May 28th, 2006 at 5:36pm

When you sling don't sling into a place that you think was an empty when it's really a major street... like I just did...

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

lord_of_destruction
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 6:44am

wht slinging  method is safer as a begginer using an overarm throw i am worried i may hit someone behind me

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 5:55pm

well, this way you can hit only behind 8and sometimes even in front!) of you.

any other rotation that is not right over, or under hand brings the possibility of hitting someone on the sideways.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Stein Vegard
Descens

The n00b...

In the south of sweet, Norway
Reply #22 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 7:25am

Quote:
I hit a concrete wall and got the stone in my forehead. I saw yellow dots in front of me and fell. A minute later I was fine again, but, at least I hope, that I learned to be more careful. Take care!  Shocked

Gard

Slinging is a dangerous sport...Like shooting with gun's...It's dangerous, and you have to take care...If not there is not a good idea to keep on slinging... Wink Ain't that right? BTW: I was there when Gard got that stone in his head, and it was not a very hard shot eather... And we were around 20 meters away from the wall...Take vare everybody

Greetings,
Zt@1n1

Read your Bible....
Stein Vegard Stein Vegard  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)