Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
another word about safety (Read 2809 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
another word about safety
May 17th, 2006 at 6:09pm

today, i went out slinging in the back yard, slinging into the trees behind the house.  i had slung perhaps ten stones when i picked another one up and slung it out into the woods.  i was not aiming for anything in particular, but it hit a largish tree maybe 15 to 20 feet in front of me.  i saw a dark thing fall on the ground in front of the tree, appearing to be the rock that i had just slung.  half a moment later, the slung stone dropped square in the middle of the top of my head.  ouch.
it actually hurt alot less than i thought it would.  i rubbed the spot for a minute, and deciding that i was okay, asked my brother not to tell my mom, because if she found out, i would never be able to sling again, and she would probably burn my slings(no joke here.  she has threatened to do this before, and i do not doubt her).  i feel fine, but that could have been a bad situation. 

just remember, wood is elastic, and when hard things hit elastic things, they bounce.  this can be true for non elastic things as well, such as concrete backboards. 

use caution when slinging.  it is a dangerous thing.

all joking aside; do you guys know what the symptoms are for a concussion?  i just want to make sure that i don't have one.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Re: another word about safety
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2006 at 6:49pm

siguy!                                                                                    
     Thank CHRIST you are OK!! So it seems that slingstones can ricochet. And it seems that you found this out "the hard way!"
     As it turns out, I do have a little bit of experience with head trauma ( No, not me! Other people.......because I work in a hospital. )
     For the next several days, watch for these symptoms:         
        Headache, blurred vision and even possibly odd visual disturbances such as "seeing double", dizziness or difficulty maintaining equilibrium ( balance ) or nausea even possibly serious enough to cause vomiting ( though not necessarily. ) It is also possible to experience symptoms similar to stroke: difficulty controlling parts of the body, often asymmetrical (for example, one arm won't work or one foot may drag, ) slurred speach or difficulty speaking, memory loss or behavioral changes. You might also want to check your eyes in a mirror to make sure that your pupils dilate symmetrically in response to light. ( Both right and left pupils should dilate the same amount simultaneously. )                                                            
         Head injury can be serious business. If you experience any of these symptoms you may indeed have a concussion. DON'T WAIT. See a physician right away!!                                                            
       I, too, like to sling at trees and I have noted how stones can bounce when they hit a tree trunk. I usually keep at least 50 feet back from the tree.                                                                        

Remember: If you experience any of the symptoms of a concussion DON'T WAIT! Seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY!!

Siguy, I hope you will be okay, but if you experience symptoms
you MUST obtain medical help. Let us hope that your head is as tough as that tree trunk!                                                                     
                                                                               .......Dan            

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2006 at 7:01pm

when i was in grade school, i prided myself in having a very hard head.  i would make apples all mushy by bashing them on my head, and i could make almost anyone give up in that game where you put your head against their's and push, as well as a number of other things i probably have to blame for my strange habbits.  thank you for your concern, but i think that i am okay.

at least i don't have a nail lodged in my head, like that guy that was on the news a while back.  do you remeber him?

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2006 at 7:09pm

Slingers!                                                                                
      So far, I have never been hit by a ricochet, but occasionally I have had a stone slip out of the sling during the throw. The stone would fly upwards and fall more or less straight down. So far I have not been hit by a falling stone but the possibility is certainly there.
     I have developed an "immediate action drill" to protect myself on such occasions: If you feel the sling lose tension BEFORE your intended release, then you must assume that the stone will fall on top of you. Don't look up to see where the stone is; you may not have time and it could fall straight down on your face. Instead, IMMEDIATELY lift your arms up and cover your head with your forearms. Practice this so you can do it quickly and automatically.
Then wait until you hear the stone hit the ground ( or feel it hit your arms! ) Thus the stone will not strike your head.                          
     Fortunately, if the stone slips out of the sling before the intended release, it usually carries only a small fraction of the energy of a good cast. Even so, I believe this technique is useful.                    
     In fact, you could even make a case for wearing a helmet.        
                                                                               .......Dan                                  
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2006 at 1:15am by Slinger_Man_Dan »  

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #4 - May 17th, 2006 at 7:18pm

siguy,                                                                                 
      If I remember correctly, the guy with the nail in his head had an
accident at a construction site with one of those pneumatic power nailers. Nasty.                                                                              
      As for mashing apples with your head, well, I guess your head really is made of wood!                                      .......Dan    

P.S. When I was in the 5th grade, I broke my arm on a bicycle.  If you've seen the accident statistics you will know: Bicycles are DEATHTRAPS!

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2006 at 4:03am

i allmost knocked myself out like light when i was trying some wierd whirling style of release.
pouched stone hit me in the tip of the shoulder, right where the bone, sinew and nerves come all together.

the pain was not that horrible, but i allmost fell to the ground.

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Gard

Yup, there are slingers
in Norway too!

Norway
Reply #6 - May 18th, 2006 at 4:09pm

I hit a concrete wall and got the stone in my forehead. I saw yellow dots in front of me and fell. A minute later I was fine again, but, at least I hope, that I learned to be more careful. Take care!  Shocked

Gard

You never know what you might get to need, before you need it.

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2006 at 5:06pm

Wow, I hope you'll be ok.

I'm considering making some sort of standerdized drill like Dan's. I have new slingers come out with me pretty often, and it has occured to me that I should make some simple rules to follow.

That drill, may look silly but it just might be what we are looking for. I'm even considering using helmets while slinging stones. This might be counter productive though, because it might lure people into a false sense of safty and they'll get reckless. On the other hand some sort of gear might make them more concious of how they use the sling.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #8 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:22pm

To siguy and anyone else at risk:
If you have symptoms of head problems, FORGET what your mother will think/do, and Completely forget about your slings. I know it seems very obvious from an outsiders perspective, but with very strict or harsh parents, this may be something which could end up 'on the line'. I don't mean at all to discredit Siguy or his maturity or what not, so don't take any personal offense!

And about Dan's remark on covering your head and waiting to hear or feel the stone...... Really, wait..... and wait.... and wait. They can take a LONG time to come down, and it seems a LOT longer when your crouched down, fearing for your safety or that of a window, and you can't see what's going on around you. To see what I mean, find a long slingspot, and in complete darkness, just sling (forward) with a pretty good lob. Some of you may be shocked at how long it takes to hear the breaking branches echo back.

Siguy, EXCELLENT to hear that you probably didn't hurt yourself...... When was the most recent slinging accident with serious consequences in a 'develeoped' nation? I've never heard of one; the last thing we need is laws on slings.

P.S.   Unsapien, they would of course be helmets made of primitive materials right?  Tongue....    The thought of someone slinging with a bicycle helmet on is kind of funny  Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:28pm

the asking my brother to keep it from my mom was merely a sort of reflex.  if there was any kind of problem, i would have told my parents right away, and i am sure that he would have as well.   

as for the helmets thing, i am sure most slingers would leave them at home, crediting them as merely an unneaded inconveniance, much like many cylcists out there(granted, most of the ones without helmets are arrogant teenagers, but i have seen adults without helmets as well)

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:42am

Slingers,                                                                               

CanDo is quite right ( hello again, CanDo! ) about waiting a good long time. Depending on what point in the throwing stroke the stone slips out of its pouch, it can go up just a little bit, or it can fly up a loooong way, and so take a loooong time to come down.                  
     I generally use the Apache technique, so if a stone slips out of the pouch it will fly away along the arc of the throwing stroke, although it usually goes off to the left or right also. With other techniques, the danger zone can be somewhat different. If a stone slips from a sling that is being whirled horizontally, it may be more dangerous to spectators or fellow slingers. I know how you feel, Mordechaj! The reason that I use the Apache technique is that when I tried to learn the figure eight I kept whacking myself upside the head with the stone still in the sling!                                                                   
     As for you, siguy, is your vision blurry yet? Seriously, I'm glad you are all right!                                                   .......Dan

IP Logged

anaconda

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2006 at 4:26am

"Headache, blurred vision and even possibly odd visual disturbances such as "seeing double", dizziness or difficulty maintaining equilibrium ( balance ) or nausea even possibly serious enough to cause vomiting ( though not necessarily. )"

Sounds VERY familiar.. exept I didn't vomit. Just felt like I am going to vomit anytime.. And no. I wasn't slinging. I was practising judo.. dont ask how it happened...

And Gard. How do you know it was 1 minute later... Time goes fast when you are unconsious.  Smiley
"I saw yellow dots in front of me and fell. A minute later I was fine again, but, at least I hope, that I learned to be more careful."

Siguy wrote:
"much like many cylcists out there(granted, most of the ones without helmets are arrogant teenagers, but i have seen adults without helmets as well)"

Siguy, sounds like you have been brainwashed to use helmet always when cycling... good for you..,

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - May 19th, 2006 at 6:18pm

don't get me wrong; i only use a helmet when i can't get away without one.

my mom is a safety/overprotective freak when it comes to her children.  she flips out whenever i do something even remotely dangerous.

thanks for your concern guys.  i don't think that i have a concussion, i have felt fine so far.

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2006 at 3:26pm

in here (croatia) helmets are used only on downhill - uphill rutes, not in regular ride.

not even all of the bikers use them (alltough that IS considered stupid and arrogant here)

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2006 at 5:08pm

I am living in one of the countries where bikes are used most often, and only racers and offroad cyclists use helmets. They try to get children to use a helmet, but even they don't.
But then, I do not know of someone having had a head wound in an accident. And everybody I know rides a bicycle.

I am afraid that helmets when slinging will suffer the same neglect.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)