Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
making lead glan ammo.. (Read 1179 times)
anaconda

making lead glan ammo..
May 17th, 2006 at 10:26am

Slinging.org is awesome Smiley Thanks.

I was searching instructions for making lead ammo from slinging.org, but (suprice) there weren't any proper instructions!!

Has anyone done ammo using these (greensand casting) tecniques?

Simple:
http://www.foundry101.com/Craft%20Molding.htm

Multiple copies production:
http://www.foundry101.com/Head%20Start%20Medallions.htm

Cool:
http://www.foundry101.com/facesbs.htm

I think sling ammo would be really easy to make using these tecniques. Has anyone tried??

there was also 1 wich used plaster as a mold, which also isn't really reusable (5 good pours before mould cracked.)

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Re: making lead glan ammo..
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2006 at 1:30pm

I use soapstone to make my lead glandes. It is long lasting and can take temperatures up to 1000 degrees

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Tumakas
Descens

I'm slinging in the rain!

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2006 at 12:49am

Has anyone seen "The Patriot"? There is this scene where he melts down a toy soldier into this mold that are like scissors. Then, when the metal cooled he just used the handles to pry apart the end and out came a musket shot. If only we had something like that but gland shaped...

redleadersb HypapinoyskadA  
IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2006 at 9:14am

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2006 at 11:54am

Tumakas, ....there are similar molds available today, but they are used to mold lead weights for use as fishing sinkers.  The weights available are about right for glandes, but the shapes are a little odd.   You might Google 'Fishing Sinkers'  Molds, and see what you find.

I dont know of any slingsters who are using one of these molds.  Maybe because they are somewhat expensive.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2006 at 12:56pm

If looking in US the two shapes most glandes like are the football sinker and the grand banks sinker molds

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2006 at 1:17pm

I can personally recommend the use of cannonball sinker molds for the purpose of producing ammo for accuracy exercise.  As I use the obloid ammo only for extreme distance practice, it is used infrequently enough that I usually buy premade shapes and go from there.

Spherical ammo is certainly premier among the blunt projectiles for accuracy efforts, and if one uses it consitently, a mold will pay for itself.  Such ammo, used with a backstop, will make the enterprise less costly, while greatly improving one's slingsmanship.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #7 - May 18th, 2006 at 1:59pm

yeah i figured that too and i found one of those sinker mold's for about 34$ thats not to bad Shocked

Taiki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)