Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lead glan vs. Elephant skull (Read 3757 times)
fi3l2
Descens

Nothing is Impossible
to a Willing Mind!

State College, PA 16802
Re: Lead glan vs. Elephant skull
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2006 at 7:38pm

Quote:
Taylor Index
Game Animal
1-3      Crows, Squirrels, rabbits and skunks
3-5      Prairie dogs, ground hogs and coyotes
6-17      Antelope, mule deer and sheep - Open country
17-20      White tail deer, black bear - Brush/Woods
20-40      Elk, moose, Grizzly bear
40-50      Lion and other thin skinned dangerous game
50-125      Rhino, elephant or other thick skinned dangerous game
125-200      Any animal that roams the earth

http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

Above is a site that I found that lists the kinetic energy in ft-lbs that is needed to take down an animal using a rifle or gun. These ratings are used to kill in a manner as described "...more humane for the game animal...".

From what i understand, these ratings are understood for shooting an animal through the body, so it is my assumption(key point) that even less kinetic energy is necessary to crush the skull of an animal and kill it that way.

http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=11430761...
Above is a post that was on here not to long ago. If you scroll down to Cando's post near the bottom, it says that
Quote:
150 mph gives 188.1 foot pounds
200 mph gives 334.2 foot pounds
250 mph gives 522.5 foot pounds
300 mph gives 752.2 foot pounds

Using these statistics and the taylor index from above, i dont see why it would be impossible to kill an elephant.
You sling a heavy rock in a longer sling with greater velocity and if you hit it in the head, the head will get crushed... Elephant dead.

I think it'd work... tho if i missed and just angered it, i would definately regret being stomped on by an boxcar sized animal Lips Sealed
I wouldnt try it but i think it'd work

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #16 - May 16th, 2006 at 11:16pm

You'd be alot safer if you try to hit it indirectly.  By indirect hiting I mean lobing, shooting high and let gravity put the rock back down.  Chances are the elephant wouldn't know where the attack is coming from and gives you more chances to hit it again. 
You'd lose a bit of power due to air resistance but I think it'll stll work.

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #17 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:30pm

Arrows are effective against elephants because they pierce and the animal bleeds out.  Shoot a few dozen well-placed arrows, and you'll take it down pretty readily.  A sling in expert hands could undoubtedly penetrate elephant flesh, but the skill level is drastically higher than that of an archer in order to achieve a similar effect.  

Quote:
Hey Chris do you still have that nine foot sling. We have some work to do lol

I can't quite remember what happened to it.  I think it might have ripped to pieces when I was chucking a brick a while back.

Chris

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #18 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:35pm

You wannabes can sit here and theorize about what a sling does to an elephant all you want.....

Me, I'm hard at work developing a hyper aerodynamic underwater sling for serious divers, which uses highly specialized ammo, much like lobohunter's truly deadly razor glandes.They are specifically for use on those icreasingly menacing packs of rogue bull Blue Whales.

TS

Cheesy

P.S.  Please know that I am joking completely....and would never harm a Blue Whale, intentionally or even by way of accidently plugging it's blow hole with a tennis ball.  Like Tint does.

"Looks like we're eating good this month boys....I got another one!"
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2006 at 10:17pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #19 - May 18th, 2006 at 11:20pm

I must have been wasted ???

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - May 19th, 2006 at 12:57pm

Quote:
Me, I'm hard at work developing a hyper aerodynamic underwater sling for serious divers, which uses highly specialized ammo, much like lobohunter's truly deadly razor glandes.They are specifically for use on those icreasingly menacing packs of rogue bull Blue Whales.

hmmm where did I put my swim fins  And wich sling to bring. Wonder where to meet ol" Mitch at.
Quote:
P.S.  Please know that I am joking completely....and would never harm a Blue Whale, intentionally or even by way of accidently plugging it's blow hole with a tennis ball.  Like Tint does.  

Sad  putting fins away

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris)