Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hello, with questions? (Read 2079 times)
Freebooter
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Millbrook, Al.
Hello, with questions?
May 13th, 2006 at 5:41pm

Hello all,
I am new here and it seems to be a neat forum. I have only recently become interested in slings and slinging and found this site so I thought I would join in on this discussion forum. I made my first sling the other day and have a couple of questions. I just made a simple affair using a suede leather pouch with leather boot laces for strings.

Now for my questions:
1. I have tried it a few times and am excited about slinging but with small or large rocks I still can't seem to get any real speed for my projectile. If I stand with my arms hanging down with it hanging from my hand the pouch is a couple of inches off the ground.  I usually sling it around above my head two or three times and let it go. Am I doing something wrong or will it just take practice?
2. Is the length I mentioned correct?
3. How many times is the optimum amount of swings before release? I would like to know what sort of sling David used on Goliath and how many times he slung it, what sized rock he used, and the distance between them?
Thanks,
Freebooter
Millbrook, Al..

Author of MORE GHOSTS AND EERIE TALES OF ALABAMA; True Tales of the Supernatural and the Unexplained www.publishamerica.com/books/8363 &&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Hello, with questions?
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2006 at 9:02pm

Hi Freebooter. I think all your questions can be answered in a simple look through of our various topics. We cover everything from the various styles of slinging, to all the different and varied types of ammo one can use with a sling and how to get maximum effect from your throw.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2006 at 2:04am

Greetings, Freebooter Cheesy and welcome to the forum!                      

I was interested in slings a long time ago but just "never got around to it" until I found Slinging.org! Needless to say, now I sometimes kick myself that I didn't start slinging a lot sooner. I missed out on a lot of fun.                                                            
     If you spend some time going through the forum you will find discussions that should answer your questions. Also, take some time to carefully read some of the how-to technical articles. In effect, you can "read the directions" for your sling.                                          
     Let me make a couple of suggestions:                                    
     Have patience with yourself. Remember that the sling is inherently a difficult instrument. You can't expect to be PONKing Canaanite giants square on the forehead on the first try. It took me about 200 throws before I started to feel comfortable with the sling and could get a consistent, repeatable throw.                              
     I tried several techniques at first, but I eventually settled on the Apache technique as I believe it is indeed the simplest and easiest for beginners. And not just for beginners; some of the images in the historical gallery depict slingers who appear to be using this technique.
In fact, the arm swings through only about 180 degrees or only half a circle for this throw. I found that techniques that require several revolutions are indeed very difficult to coordinate and you tend to lose power and it is very odd that the sling is always shown being used this way in the movies. Check the technical articles for the Apache sling and technique.                                                                              
     Accuracy is difficult to achieve and requires a LOT of practice, but you can have fun long before you become accurate! Indeed, I like to
"sling for trajectory" as I call it. That is, I sling down a sandy dirt road ( lots of stones to feed my sling ) and try for good form, shot-to-shot consistency, and a nice, smooth, "elegant" trajectory. In fact, I would conjecture that slings may have often been used this way in battle. Individual accuracy would have mattered little with hundreds of slingers standing shoulder to shoulder hurling volleys ( rather like the massed musket volleys of the flintlock era. ) I estimate that I have hurled about 500 stones over a period of perhaps 4 months and only now am I trying to tighten up my groups to actually hit a specific target, but I've had an awful lot of fun getting to this point!             
       My sling is relatively short, only about 14 inches from release node to pouch, but I can now consistently hurl a stone about twice as far as throwing by hand.                                                                  
       Again, welcome to the forum, Freebooter. Read up on Slinging.org, study, practice as much as you can, and you will soon be slinging with the best of us!                                                            
                                                                                   .......Dan                                                                                     

IP Logged

Slinger_Man_Dan

My sling is my friend.

Gardner,MA
Reply #3 - May 14th, 2006 at 2:16am

Freebooter,                                                                              

Let me suggest that you read the thread "Hints to Increase Accuracy" started by mgreenfield as there was a rather extensive discussion of slinging technique on this thread.                      
     Hope this helps!                                              .......Dan

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #4 - May 14th, 2006 at 2:35am

Freebooter,

Welcome to the world of slinging!  There is no real right or wrong when it come to sling length.  Some like it long some like it short, if you find your sling difficult to handle I guess trying a shorter sling might help.  2 or 3 times around the head sounds like the right amount of wind up too, just keep praticing and power will come. 

good luck!

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - May 14th, 2006 at 2:43am

David used a rather small stone, I believe.  He carried five in his bag, so they couldn't have been as heavy as a brick.  He needed to stay mobile to out run the big guy.  Many believe he refused to wear an armour just to stay light.  

Other than that, no one can be sure as to what style he used or how many time he swung the sling around.  We are talking about a dual that took place 3,000 years ago!  If i have to guess though, I would say it was a very short swing may be aproche style, figure 8 or even a overhead with a quick release.  That would take Golaith by suprise.  Best guess.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - May 14th, 2006 at 11:43am

hello freebooter, and welcome.  your sling length sounds good, and a large number of sling lengths are usable.  many people, myself included, carry a few different length slings for different purposes(ie: distance, accuracy, different ammos, etc) often times, people will use different styles with each of their different length slings.  your style sounds like it will work quite well, and is similar to one that i used for a while.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Freebooter
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Millbrook, Al.
Reply #7 - May 15th, 2006 at 4:38pm

Hello all,
Thanks for all the advice y'all. I am glad I checked back and saw where y'all had responded, because the forum did not notify me of my reponses.

Indeed, slining is fun! I have found a perfect spot to practice: There is a giant rock and gravel quarry not far from me. There are mounds of various size rocks piled in mountainous rows alongside the railroad track awaiting loading onto train gravel cars.  And it is next to a small lake too. I could stand there and sling all day long if I wanted to!

One more thing: A good while back I was watching the news in which the segment was pertaining to the middle east. Lo and behold when it showed some Palistinian youths rioting, throwing rocks, etc., against the Israelis, several had slings. If I remember correctly they only twirled it a couple of times before releasing. Yesterday I paracticed a few times using my wooden privacy fence as a target/backstop. I tried doing it and only twirling it around one time, and as I came into the final "run" I really put some power and torque into it before I released. Man! That rock, not quite as big as a golf ball, took off like a bullet and indeed whined as it dissappeared upwards across my back yard (I think it hit a neighbor's house). I have never seen a rock go that fast and definately have never heard a rock whine like a bullet. I am indeed hooked now y'all!
Take care,
Freebooter

Author of MORE GHOSTS AND EERIE TALES OF ALABAMA; True Tales of the Supernatural and the Unexplained www.publishamerica.com/books/8363 &&

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #8 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:24pm

Freebooter,

Be careful with your sling!  Always remember that the sling is a weapon, originally used both for hunting and for warfare.  If you are at the lake, rocks are fine (as long as there is nobody else around the lake); in your back yard, tennis balls would be safer.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2006 at 7:41pm

I agree with Dale, as do most of us here, I believe. 

As opposed to many 'extreme sports' these days, amongst we slingsmen it's pretty much "All for one and one for all"....rather than a 'free for all'.

The propagation of slinging as a sport depends largely upon our ability to make well reasoned choices.

In todays environment, it surely wouldn't take many 'incidents' to beg the classification of the sling as a 'dangerous device' by the BATF.

Good slinging,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - May 15th, 2006 at 8:56pm

BATS? Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Freebooter
Tiro

I love Slinging.org!

Millbrook, Al.
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:11pm

Yep, I will never "sling" in my neighborhood again. We went to the rock pile and lake and practiced. My 16 year old son surprised me though. He had never touched a sling before and within two or three tries he was slinging rocks two hundred yards. You could see the power and form when he "slung", almost like he had done it before. Heck, maybe he's reencarnated?!? After a few tries I got to where I was slinging some good distance and speed too. It is an exciting hobby. My son and his friend that went both want me to make them sling now. If I do I will keep it locked up until we go out away from town and all.
Take care,
Freebooter

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #12 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:24pm

Quote:
BATS?

None yet, but one is sure to keel over soon.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:26pm

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Slings!!! Grin

John Walker  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:35pm

B.A.T.F. 

Bureau of Avanced Tactical Freebooters ?

Buddum bum.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris)