Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Assyrian Slings with "Tails" (Read 9323 times)
mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Assyrian Slings with "Tails"
May 12th, 2006 at 6:24pm

Fellow slingsters, ....

...both images of ancient Assyrian slingers in the Historical gallery show them using slings with "tails".  See below

We have to assume these guys knew what they were doing when they made these slings!!

I recently made a "long-tailed" sling, and gave it a try.  It worked awful!!  The ammo seemed to get somehow caught in the sling about half the time.

What am I missing in not being able to use a "long-tailed" Assyrian sling??  What did the "long-tails" do for the Assyrian slingers??

Inquiring minds want to know!

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: Assyrian Slings with "Tails"
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2006 at 7:05pm

maybe its just due to the assyrians bad drawing (thats twice i break down an old civ's drawing capabillities) Or the depicted a ceremonial sling never really meant to be used ?

Taiki  
IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2006 at 8:42pm

Full hand grips are nice for heavy rocks and heavy rocks are good for throwing at Hittites?

Matthias

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2006 at 11:38pm

perhaps they were included to show that they were slings as opposed to clubs?

I'm sure that taken in context that breaks down quickly, but just a thought.

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2006 at 11:39pm

Ooh, another thought. They didn't have different length slings, so were adjusting them for closer range.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2006 at 8:47am

perhaps, cando, but then the pouch would turn lopsided, unless they were using strip slings, or slings with really long pouches.  both a possibility, and it makes sense, but i don't know...

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2006 at 10:28am

I think I read somewhere that slings used to be made with no fingerloop or wrist-strap or anything.  You picked it up, weaved one end around your fingers, held the other end and slung.  The advantage was that you didn't need to waste time figuring out which end to hold, after you unwound it from your waist or peeled it off your head or whatever.

So the extra cord hanging from those guys hands, could be the end of the retained cord, not the release cord.

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2006 at 1:15pm

Upon closer inspection, more detail seems to be revealed....which information dovetails nicely with the historical account that the Assyrians were once caught off guard during a celebration meal by the Israelites.

Having no time, and thinking quickly, they resorted to using their bent soup ladles to scald the rapidly advancing enemy with hot, spicy meatballs.  Legend has it that had it not been for two brave archers on watch that evening, Lo'rel and Ha'ar'de'.....the slaughter would have been complete, without a single casualty to the attacking army.

Thus the first ever recorded food fight was waged and lost in a course of minutes.  Though Assyrian scribes, under strict order from their resentful and stubborn king, Sennacherib, recorded the event as a 'blistering' defeat for their enemies.

TS
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006 at 7:05pm by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #8 - May 13th, 2006 at 9:11pm

LOL Grin Great Story. Truely one for the Anals of history. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2006 at 12:13am

Yes.....quite right.  It was rather corny, even for me.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2006 at 12:16am

A story like that deserves a Laurel, and Hearty handshake. Roll Eyes Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2006 at 12:26am

Yeah,  Moe and Curly just didn't have the cache' I was shooting for.......

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2006 at 4:23am

we have to assume that these pics are accurate because the archers' equipment is very accurately drawn.

there is something here which isn't readily apparent. i

EITHER  there must be an unknown  slinging technique that allows or requires use of a tail - i have also tried a sling with such a tail, and found it impossible to use.

OR - is it possible that these are some kind of staff sling, and that the projecting end is rigid? it looks like they are using one of those "toy" staff slings that people use to throw balls for dogs.   

if they are just in tha act of throwing, maybe a flexible wooden armature would bend in the way shown.

unlikely but possible?

sv

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:11am

sv, .....ohmygosh!  Shocked  maybe you're on to something.  It IS interesting that the slings appear to be carefully drawn to look like big spoons.  ALSO, there is NO indication of 2 cords going down to the slingers' hands.    AND details of clothing, etc are (also?) carefully drawn.

If these are small "spoon" staff slings, the shape of the pocket must have been very well thought out to get just the right "action" on the rock.   Also, the ammo standardized to work best.  

Anybody have any ideas re the best pocket shape??  Any woodcarvers out there who want to experiment??

FYI Staff slings are STILL very much in use while the regular flexible sling is not so much.

The racquet used in playing Lacrosse is a staff sling, as is the cesta used in playing Jai-ali (sp?).  There may be other examples.

In WWII the Germans used a hand-grenade on a throwing stick.  The whole thing was thrown though.  It was dubbed a "potato masher" because of it's appearance.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:50am

I think I finally get it now......

Slinging is an art and a science.

A culinary science....Soup's on....Come and get it!

If ye dare.....

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Rat Man)