Send Topic Print
discovery/revelation: (Read 1126 times)
siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
discovery/revelation:
May 10th, 2006 at 8:11pm

when i sling really hard with certain styles, my shoulder hurts. i realize that many of you have already experianced this, but this is my first time having sling-related shoulder pain.  i was trying out the sidearm style that taiki demonstrated in one of the antwerp videos, when i let it fly really hard off into the woods, and i felt a little bit of a tingle in my shoulder.  two or three more throws like this; just winging it with all of my might, and my shoulder really hurt!  i found myself rubbing my shoulder much like the granny from one of the stories on the site.  i would start off with a slow windup beside me, my left side(not the side holding the sling) facing the target(actually just the direction i wanted the stone to go in) and then i would pull it accross my body, now using my shoulder as the pivot point, and let it fly.  i was getting trmendous power with this, but then i couldn't do it after a couple of thows.  that made me sad, so i decided to try taking the stress off of my shoulder, and put it on my elbow instead.  after a couple of throws, i was able to do this, without much sacrifice to power.  this made me happy. 

altogether, i like the sidearm throw, and i think i will now use this as my long distance throwing style, as i am far more powerful with this than with the underarm style that i was previously using for distance.  even though i am far more powerful when i use my shoulder, i don't plan on doing it very often.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Re: discovery/revelation:
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2006 at 8:33pm

glad you liked the power on it siguy Grin could you put up a small schematic of how you do it ? (i'm a bit confused now)

but i must say i never had a shoulder problem yet (just my left leg that hurts after a while cause it needs to support all my weight (Big weight) at the end of the cast)

Taiki  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2006 at 9:47am

Pain is Natures way of telling you that you are doing something wrong! Stop if it hurts! Undecided

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:38pm

It's not about strength, so much as it is about technique. Some of the slingers in the ancient armies had long battles. that would be quite tiring onthe shoulders. There were sling techniques developed for efficiency and shoulder saving.
  The most popular one was the underhand cast. One full swing of the shoulder, then a quick release. this was slinger standard  in the Roman army.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #4 - May 11th, 2006 at 6:12pm

taiki, i look the same as you in the video.  perhaps my wording was a bit off.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #5 - May 11th, 2006 at 7:43pm

Lol i'm pretty sure you look better then me on video Wink i might be cause i wet trough it a little fast

Taiki  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Kick)