Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slingers vs Persian cavalry (Read 3144 times)
Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Slingers vs Persian cavalry
May 3rd, 2004 at 6:33pm

This is a good read!
The Roman army under Marc Antony fights the horse archers of Persia. I think I've read another version of this that gives more details. I'll see if I can find it.

In this way he met Pacorus in Syria Cyrrhestica and conquered him. For when he had not prevented them from crossing the river and had not attacked them at once after they had got across, they imputed sloth and weakness to the Romans and therefore marched against their camp, although it was on high ground, expecting to take it without resistance. But when a sally was suddenly made, the assailants, being cavalry, were driven back down the slope without difficulty; and although at the foot they defended themselves valiantly, the majority of them being in armour, yet they were confused by the unexpectedness of the onslaught and year stumbling over one another and were defeated by the heavy-armed men and especially by the slingers; for these struck them from a distance with their powerful missiles and so were exceedingly difficult for them to withstand. The fall of Pacorus in this struggle was a very great loss to them; for as soon as they perceived that their leader had perished, although a few men zealously fought for his body, yet when these also were slain, all the rest gave way. Some of them desired to escape homeward across the bridge and were unable to do so, being cut off and killed before they could reach it, and others fled for refuge to Antiochus in Commagene.
Cassius Dio XLIX.20

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

learningviolinist
Novicius

Sling POO its fun!

Re: Slingers vs Persian cavalry
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004 at 7:14pm

Just shows how important the slingers are. this was an argument between me and my dads friend, he thoght that a sling was usless.... Grin HA showed him!

IP Logged

goblin
Tiro

i sling like the best
of them!

canada
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 9:44am

all i have to say is slingers so rule!

IP Logged

ozymandias312
Tiro

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2004 at 3:11am

I wonder what sort of ammunition they were using? Glans-type lead slugs, or big rocks?

Oz

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - May 7th, 2004 at 8:57am

I think they were casting lead glandes. I will look at my sources today to make sure.

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 9:05pm

Plutarch, life of Antony, specifically mentions lead bullets during Antony's campaign (against the Parthians, not Persians: Iranians who took over the Eastern part of the Seleukid empire in the late C2nd BC).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar)