Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling Spies in the Mithradaitic Wars (Read 7884 times)
Mithras

Slinging beach pebbles
off the Yorkshire coast

East Yorkshire, England
Sling Spies in the Mithradaitic Wars
Apr 30th, 2004 at 4:21pm

How about this use of the sling as an espionage tool in Appian's The Foreign Wars, recounting Rome's invasion of Greece (and here, the city of  Athens) under Sulla:

[31] Two Athenian slaves in the Pirĉus -- either because they favored the Romans or were looking out for their own safety in an emergency -- wrote down everything that took place there, enclosed their writing in leaden balls, and threw them over to the Romans with slings. As this was done continually it came to the knowledge of Sulla, who gave his attention to the missives and found one which said, "To-morrow the infantry will make a sally in front upon your workers, and the cavalry will attack the Roman army on both flanks." Sulla placed an adequate force in ambush and when the enemy dashed out with the thought that their movement would completely surprise him he gave them a greater surprise with his concealed force, killing many and driving the rest into the sea. This was the end of that enterprise.

Is that cool - or what??

They shrink for fear, abated of their rage,&&Nor longer dare in a blind fight engage;&&Contented now to gall them from below&&With darts and slings, and with the distant bow.&&&&Aeneid 9.503&&
IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Re: Sling Spies in the Mithradaitic Wars
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 5:58pm

The sling as ancient spy-tech.  Awesome!  "And this, Mr. Bond, is a centipetal missive transference device.  Don't swing it about, James, it's not a toy!"

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 6:47pm

Mithras
That is some great information! I'll have to look up Appian at my local library!
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 1:25pm

Maybe it's just me, but finding a specific sling-stone after its been thrown has always been a chancy affair for me...

IP Logged

Johnny
Funditor

Goodlettsville,TN
Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 1:33pm

Maybe they thought it was a fortune cookie with the little note thingy hanging out.
Johnny

I also love sushi..!
TNslinger  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2004 at 4:17pm

Another projectile type to add to the list: message.

Chris

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2006 at 7:45pm

i think that this was disscussed in another topic somewhere pretty recently.  we discussed clay balls which would break open on impact as another possible chamber.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #7 - May 9th, 2006 at 2:01am

I know it was discussed recently, that is one of the reasons I did move this thread to this part of the forum.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Leeds_Lobber

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2006 at 5:30am

yes, it was discussed.

The spies must have been in contact with Lucius Cornelius Sulla before the siege bit, as like you say, who would be picking up sling bullets and reading the messages scratched in unless they knew to look for them?

Pat Stoddart
Mithridates Eupator Fanboy.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - May 10th, 2006 at 11:07am

It seem to me that the spies would have a target zone.
And receivers would know the pick up area. It still seem like there would be a fair chance of the messages following into the wrong hands

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:43pm

Nahnahnah!  Someone would simply catch it! Wink

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #11 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:05pm

Quote:
It seem to me that the spies would have a target zone.
And receivers would know the pick up area. It still seem like there would be a fair chance of the messages following into the wrong hands

Encryption Smiley
I once spent about a week just thinking about making encryptions, and so came up with a system. It involved many changes with many shifting tables, randomly generated keys, many more randomly generated tables. The message cycled through hundreds of times. Even the file which was the 'key' needed to be processed over and over to become useful. All in all the whole thing was extraordinarily convuluted. My friend then made it in Java. Even though the TI-83 could only give "ERR: OVERFLOW", I don't suppose it would have taken more than 30 sec for the NSA Tongue    Well, that was fun.

For that time period, I'm sure that simple old "wrap around the broom handle" would have been adequate encryption.

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #12 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:37pm

wrap around the broom handle?  i am unfamiliar with this type of encryption.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #13 - May 15th, 2006 at 5:43pm

Alright so,
You have a long strip of paper or something else to write on. You then wrap it in a spiral around a cylinder and write your message across horizontally. When you take the paper off, there are gaps in between the letters. Fill those in with more letters.

If I seriously had to get a message to someone via sling though, I'd have pre established code words. It's very simple and effective.

IP Logged

Taiki
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't tell my mom i'm
here will you...

belgium
Reply #14 - May 15th, 2006 at 6:34pm

codes can be broken and words that are placed out of context are very suspicious the easyest way of doing this is make up a language with a friend and use it that way...

Taiki  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus)