Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
That Roman tool (Read 10745 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: That Roman tool
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2006 at 9:25pm

The picture shown shows a physician using a scalpel to enlarge a wound so that a foreign body (arrowhead, glandes) etc could be more easily withdrawn with a forceps and probe. The technique is pretty much the same today. Better anesthesia though. Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #16 - May 6th, 2006 at 9:44pm

back then, the most practiced method was getting them drunk, then (my own theory: ) maybe blind folding them so they wouldn't know what was happening.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #17 - May 6th, 2006 at 9:47pm

Give em a stick to bite on Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #18 - May 7th, 2006 at 11:53am

The forceps picture is very similar to one I saw when I lived in Sicily. The one in the mosaic I saw had a curved top, that fit over the top of the glande. The bottom was used to push the glande against this.
  Failing that, we go back to Celsus who said that if the glande is wedged into the bone and can't be pulled out, then cut to where the bone is, and saw out a triangular section of the bone where the glande is.
    Wonder what his fee was for that.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #19 - May 7th, 2006 at 6:43pm

From Voellings article (translation from German):

"In these cases the wound should be opened and the intruded object should be removed with tweezers the same way it came in."

Celsus 7, 5, 4

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #20 - May 7th, 2006 at 8:41pm

I think you had to pay them to get them to stop. Tongue

John Walker  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Chris, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar)