Send Topic Print
Point-first flight (Read 16834 times)
Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Re: Point-first flight
Reply #45 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 5:51pm

The woven sling is one in my series of reconstructed ancient slinging equipment. 99% of my slinging I use a 2 EUR 3 knots PP rope sling. The remaining 1% is testing of my reconstructed equipment.

I would like to see you sling, but I am very sure, that I will not get to Nebraska the next 5 or 10 years. There are also very few slingers in Germany which would be available for meeting. So do we get a life video feed from your world record? Smiley

Btw. which sling length do you use? The current records have been with rather long slings AFAIR.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #46 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 7:25pm

42".....it used to be 49"....but I don't move quite as fast as I did twenty years ago.  I am confident that an improved design will more than make up the difference.

I wish I could pull off a live feed.....but I will get video of the event either way.  I use a rather unique method of finding the projectile after impact, which should prove somewhat entertaining as well.

Regards,

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #47 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 6:00am

Did you get information about the record procedures? My impression from the news papers on how to do a record for the Guiness Book of Records is:
  • Each try for that book costs money. I think around 500 EUR.
  • There are rules on how to conduct the undertaking. Maybe to make it comparable to previous records.
The rules might state that the distance is measured up to ground impact. Just finding the projectile would the not be enough.

Zwiebeltuete

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #48 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 10:39am

Go Techstuf Go!!! Cheesy

Who cares about Guiness?  Just do it!

When do you plan to do this?  Want any of us to come over and witness? Grin

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #49 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 2:48pm

Zw,  I've already applied and am simply awating the yea or nea from Guiness.  The only reason I'd like to make it official is to stoke the home fires here at Slinging.org and as a bit of advertising for my products.

Tint, either way.....I'm going for it.  Rather than seeking to impose on any one here to incur travel expense to verify the new record,  I will most likely have a couple locals and a notary present.

8)

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #50 - Jun 19th, 2006 at 1:01am

I'll be cheering you on!  And one of your first customers. I'm sure! 8)

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #51 - Dec 3rd, 2006 at 1:08pm

This summer I tried to sling point first. I managed it once with a irregularly shaped stone. It was a underhand throw with my flax sling (1m length). The stone flew about 130 m. I didn't realise any wobbling. As far as I could see the stone flew point first like a rocket. Using other styles I never reached more than 100 m. So I believe that the technique made the success. But it seems to take much training to gather skill. Until now I didn't repeat this style with satisfiying frequency.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)