Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Point-first flight (Read 16827 times)
Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Re: Point-first flight
Reply #30 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 4:47pm

The glans sits in the pocket with the long axis parallel with the fold, pointy ends sticking out. The natural way for it to sit, really.

When you throw, using any style, the idea is that you use your hand and wide grip to manoever the glans into the correct launch position. Releasing the thumb lets the projectile roll out of the pouch, which is where the spin comes from.

It is easier to get the right (and repeatable) orientation using throwing styles that don't twist around too much. The underhand/sidearm variants work well, as do the overhand/apache. Figure eights should be good, but depending on your windup, you may need to twist your wrist a little bit. Helicopter is tougher, since you have to roll you wrist to keep it spinning, and that sets the galns/pocket to wobbling...

Matthias

IP Logged

Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Reply #31 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 7:11pm

For those of us who rely on the narrow grip, I believe I am being objective in advancing the following pre-production model as perhaps the most advanced and reliable distance rig currently available on the planet.  Even wide grip distance fans can benefit from a satisfying release every time.

The user will experience ballistic spiral releases at every launch no matter the style.....never any ammo hang ups....and virtually no sling cord wear.  The rig shown has had 2,024 river rocks leave it's pocket thus far and shows nominal wear. I believe the fibrous components of this design should realize a 10,000 round service life before needing replacement, provided only smooth river rock commensurate to pocket size is used. (Nearly the only kind of natural ammo worthy of serious slingers.)

This system induces just enough spin to maintain stability for the duration of flight.....thereby translating more energy to increased velocity at the moment of release.

The steering vane is attatched via a carbon fiber shaft and held in place via pocket support cord and reactive centrifugal force.  It is easily removed as desired.

The production model is more streamlined for even greater mind blowing performance.....truly....I am stoked!  The official results, I trust, will be impressive.  I am currently waiting to hear back from Guiness regarding acceptance of my application.  If they should prove uninterested, I still plan to release my results on video.  

Hope you like it.

8)

TS
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2006 at 3:05am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Matthias
Past Moderator

Gatineau/Ottawa QC, Canada
Reply #32 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 8:24pm

Quote:
smooth river rock commensurate to pocket size is used. (Nearly the only kind of natural ammo worthy of serious slingers.)

Hey! Just because you're stuck in Nebraska doesn't mean that nice smooth beach granite won't outsling river pebbles any day! The ocean sorts then nicely by size for me too. 8)

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #33 - Jun 7th, 2006 at 8:27pm

LOL.....and yes...when I said 'nearly' I was thinking of you!  Tongue

Wink

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #34 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 8:44am

TS that is a nice release mechanism  8).  I was considering an archers caliper style release  clipped to my retention cord.  Undecided I  may need to reconsider the archers caliper.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #35 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 3:15pm

A bow release of the proper design can be useful. Back in the 80's I approached a bow release manufacturer to produce one of my designs.  Negotiations broke off due to 'Product Liability' concerns on the part of the manufacturer.  The product I invented at the time, made use of the same principles as a bow release.  I have found the Wynn Free Flight relax trigger and the Tru Fire X-Caliper Pro relax trigger releases to be most adaptable to our sport as manufactured.

I sometimes employ the TruFire release for heavy slinging.  Ammo such as heavy water balloons,
stones and such.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #36 - Jun 8th, 2006 at 11:58pm

Wow! Shocked

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #37 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:07pm

Thats pretty nice! How reliable is it? for release times compared to slinging without fancy devices? does it require earlier/later release than the normal sling?

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

David

Per Humilis Funda Sic
Validus Gigas Eram Interimo

Upstate NY
Reply #38 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:26pm

TechStuf that is truely a very appropriate name for you!!!! I love the designs.

I belive in Miracles, you sexy sling, you sexy sling.
davnasca  
IP Logged

SlingWolf

Guns dont kill people...
Magic missles do!

Kenmore, NY
Reply #39 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:30pm

I love how the sling, probably one of mans most primitive ranged devices, can be advanced so much with all this technology! Its just that there is so much on it thats done by hand that can be taken and re-made into a more modern style without really taking away too much from the experience that is SLINGING!

Ask not what you can do for your sling... But what your sling can do to an armored knight on horseback at over 50 yards! Shocked

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #40 - Jun 10th, 2006 at 11:47pm

Slingwolf, in answer to your questions....

Firstly, I don't know how fancy this rig is.....I mean, compared to some of my creations, it might be considered quite utilitarian in form and function.

Regarding reliability....I hope my statements earlier in the thread are meaningful enough.

As regards the timing of release, the difference is notable.  The release is much improved....it is cleaner and much more consistent than traditional slings. Therefore those who might experience this design will instantly, and to varying degree, notice the change in timing required.  I found myself learning to release a bit later with this system.  Of course, all being relative.....certainly those who are involved in 'extreme distance' exercises will experience the greatest gains.

The production model has some notable improvements over the one shown.  Improvements which, in my admittedly subjective opinion.....will add even more to the enjoyment of the 'slinging experience'.

Throwing great spirals with every cast.....enhancing velocity, and not having to replace sling cords has renewed my vigor for our sport considerably.

After I get the go ahead from Guiness.....wait til you get a load of my personal custom distance rig, if you think this one is 'fancy'......

This potential 'world record wonder' is sooooo not fair!

Peace,

Smiley

TS
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006 at 5:19am by Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua »  

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #41 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 9:52am

well tech its a nice looking rig
Its nice to know that nebraskan is going after the record
I hear your thoughts about cord wear. I don't seem to have those problems . But then I am a wide grip fanatic.
see if you can do me a favor head down to the "mighty Mo do around the Bellvue area in the old bell of brown veiw park and see if you can hit the far bank a couple of years ago i could only make it 3/4 of the way.
no looking for the narrowest point either lol
             A.C. Scott
                  out

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #42 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 2:02pm

I am currently slinging further than can usually be visually confirmed by naked eye and would likely have to rely on sound from a tree impact.  As it is now....I am occasionally slinging over the Elkhorn river from my back yard with natural ammo.  A distance of 1,440ft.

I have also been working with special glandes which exploit basic principles in order to decrease the drag co-efficient considerably.  It makes use of high RPMs in order to create a slight constant vacuum at the nose of the glans, while separating the skin of the glans from the immediate atmosphere via a thin envelope of compressed air.  The added volume serving to increase adhesion of laminar flow at the rear of the projectile, while at the same time increasing lateral inward pressure at the tail of the ammo.....in effect....nominally serving to 'squirt' the ammo forward.  Rudimentarily....it is kind of like a person pinching the back of a slippery grape.

The idea was inspired by the work of Viktor Schauberger, the Austrian naturalist.

Quite similar in principle, though appreciably simpler, to this concept:

Viktor Schauberger's Biological Submarine

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Zwiebeltuete
Descens

Fly! Angel, fly!

Germany, near Nuremberg
Reply #43 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 2:23pm

TechStuf, I wish you success with your world record. Over 432m is very impressive. Your design is also interesting, but ...

I will stay with the simple stuff. A point why I am so fascinated by the sling is it's simplicity. One rope and three knots and you're there.

Zwiebeltuete,
who is now tablet weaving a sling and is progressing faster thanks to Willeke

Slinging since 2005-09-24.
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #44 - Jun 17th, 2006 at 2:38pm

I appreciate your point of view.  It's one that you and I happen to share, relatively speaking.

Good luck with your tablet weaving project!

Woven slings are simply beautiful....even though, like my own slings, they are not so simple to make.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini)