Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slinging styles - David Taylor (Read 2784 times)
Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Slinging styles - David Taylor
Mar 8th, 2004 at 6:45pm

David's article showcasing his different casting styles has been posted in the articles section.  It is the first link in the "How-to's" section.

Chris

IP Logged

mgreenfield
Funditor

Milwaukee Wisconsin
Re: Slinging styles - David Taylor
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2004 at 9:14pm

Boy is that super!!   Indeed one video clip is worth 1,000 words.   And David can "speak sling" in several "throwing languages"  Cheesy.     I much want to see more of the same, & will surely get my techno-son to do a vid clip of my left-handed 630deg vertical spin style to post, too.    10,000 tnx to Dave & Chris for making this available!     mgreenfield

IP Logged

WalkingBird
Descens

Slinger of stones

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:08am

David T

Thanks for taking the time to make and post thoes short flicks. Thats great work. Very different styles from what I use, but you seem to be conversent with several trowing forms. I like it, I like it!  Cheesy Now for another sling, this one shorter, (as if I haven't enough now) to try some of that greek style.

Thanks again.
WalkingBird

Who now must build another sling, Oh the shame of it . 8) 8)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 1:59am

Chris,

Thanks for the posts!! I assume you are still working on that #1 video. It does not open for me.

For those who may not know: the small video can be made larger by clicking on the small icon above the volume bar.

To view in slo-motion you click "play" and once it starts, click play a second time to stop the action. Then you can put the cursor on the slide bar and click the mouse for frame by frame or hold it down for continuous slo-motion. At least thats how it works on my computer.

IP Logged

Hondero

Madrid-SPAIN
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 12:52pm

Finally we can see and comment your style Smiley. First of all I think you have got very well  the most important of the technique. The wrist motion and the final snap are very good. In regard to the movement of the leg like a baseball pitch, maybe it helps to get some more power, since it allows to make a forward turn of the torso more powerful when shooting and it would be interesting when it is tried to obtain the maximum range, but  itīs very possible that it makes more difficul to get accuracy because you destabilize your stand and have to retake it at the moment of throwing. I think that a more stable position is better, though it may be helpful a short step forward when shooting.

When you start from the Greek position you move a little counter-sense the hand seizing the pouch and it looks useful to fix the trajectory since you make a single turn. When they are made more revolutions, the first one is just to obtained that.
In the vertical turn around style it seems to me a little forced that movement downwards you make to fix the trajectory. I would use there two revolutions without any doubt, but each one has to be comfortable  with his style and if it is effective nobody can disqualify it. In general it seems to me that you have very well developed the shot technique, and to get better accuracy you need only to keep up a more stable stand, without moving so much the left leg. If you pay attention in detail to your movements, the snap is made when you already have both feet well leant on the ground and in fact the leg movement donīt add almost nothing. But the important thing is that one feels comfortable with his style.
Well, this is only one opinion.
Congratulations for your very good snap  Wink.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2004 at 3:27am by Hondero »  

He brought a conquering sword..., a shield..., a spear... , a sling from which no erring shot was discharged.&&
IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 4:30pm

Very good clips, David! It is really nice to see slinger fellow in the action.

I agee that your whip is pretty good! Although, I'm not sure that the left leg movement helps very much. I understand your pitcher's habit. Probably it is important for you due to timing, so that's ok. But I see that the bigest your body acceleration results from the right leg trusting, when your left leg stands alredy on the ground. I think it is additional movement which you must coordinate and maybe needless because takes some time and reduces your mobility. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's only my opinion. As there was mentioned, it is the most important that it working for you. I absolutly don't want to say that it is your mistake. I don't feel myself an expert .
I also see your pitcher's power during the snap. You have very good body predispositions and think you are on the good way.

I sometimes used the vertical rotations, but their plane was more backward.

Thanks for sharing,

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 5:46pm

Great vids!  Yer dead accurate! Shocked  What range are you shooting at?

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2004 at 8:02pm

I've fixed the bad link for the mpeg of video 1. 

The best quality video (highest resolution) are the "Quicktime file, high quality" ones.

If you don't have quicktime player, you should get it.  it's free and a nice piece of software.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Chris

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 8:47am

Thanks for the comments!!

I agree with Hondero and Yurek that any added motion can hurt accuracy. I sometimes sling without "throwing" my left leg foward in shorter shorts. I will try keeping it more still and see how it affects my accuracy.

When I throw big stones I use the underhand release with 3 rotations----I did not have a video of that  Undecided

Chris, I can not get Quicktime to download--it always says:" Missing Data" even though I have filled in every box? and their contact page won't come up. Any suggestions?

IP Logged

Douglas

Just give me a good stone
and plenty of room!

Kalifornia
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2004 at 12:39pm

David's association of the underhand release with the Greeks may be taken at face value, but this appears to have been the same release used by the Anglo-Saxons in two separate illustrations, both hunting fowl by the way...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)