Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making a braided sling: An illustrated guide (Read 2576 times)
Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Making a braided sling: An illustrated guide
Feb 28th, 2004 at 9:05am

Chris has graciously hosted my 3-strand braiding article. It is in the 'Articles' section. Please feel free to pass this on to novices. I made leather slings for years, but it wasn't until I made a braided sling that I felt I 'arrived' at this sport. If you see anything that might make the article better for a beginner to understand, please let me know. yours, Dan

IP Logged

Yurek
Funditor
Past Moderator

The best thing, is a good
sling.

Poland
Re: Making a braided sling: An illustrated guide
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 9:16am

Dan,

Pretty neat tutorial!

Jurek

In the shape, structure and position of each stone, there is recorded a small piece of history. So, slinging them, we add a bit of our history to them.

IP Logged

JeffH
Past Moderator

Don't stand behind me,
I'm about to sling!

Memphis, TN
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:31pm

Good work Dan!

The graphics are excellent.

jeff <><

So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone. (1 Samuel 17:50)

IP Logged

David_T
Funditor
Past Moderator

Hooked on Sling'n

Greenville,SC
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 3:43pm

Dan

Great pictures and great explanations!!!

One observation: at the  beginning of the illustrastions you say it is to make a long sling--- 39" but at the end, you say it is to make a short sling. ???

I also have a question if you can answer it. Wen you make the flat braid, doesn't the constant use and stretching eventually make the flat braid compress into a more round braid?? I have never done the 3-strand flat braid. I am going to make one per your instructions in the next few days. Thanks, its cool! I am also going to work on a design for a leather cover for he pouch cords.  Don't you just love this forum!!!

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 5:59pm

Dan,

That tutorial rocks!  (pun intended)  I am printing it off as I write this message and will try one tonight once the boys are in bed.

Excellent work!

Scott Adair

IP Logged

Hobb

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2004 at 6:35pm

Great article!  Simple, fast, fun, easy...  Now I have to make another sling!  I love the color scheme you chose, too.  It makes the instructions easy to follows and the end result is an attractive sling.  Very, very cool. 8)

IP Logged

adair3
Tiro

Lubbock, TX
Reply #6 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 4:48pm

I made one using the measurements given in the article this morning and it turned out great.  I'll have not had the chance to try it out though.

Scott

IP Logged

Dan_Bollinger
Descens

Have Sling, Will Travel

West Lafayette, Indiana, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 29th, 2004 at 6:11pm

Thanks, everyone  Grin   I'll fix that sentence, David T, its confusing the way it is.  I hope it brings more newbies here. Speaking of which, I noticed on the Yahoo slinging group Ed mentioned this group and how great it was.

added: David_T,  I've not had the flat braids move around, but I've not used the nylon sling much and nylon is much slipperier than natural fibers. My favorite material is hemp, beginning with either 9 or 12 strands of 20#, or 6 strands of 48#.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2004 at 10:39am by Dan_Bollinger »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Masiakasaurus)